Friends

Blind Man

Dec 20, 2005
Hello All,
I have visited POP on several occasions, wondering the streets of POP as a blind person has proven to b quite the adventure. I think Dominicans are not use to seeing blind persons wondering the streets as I seem to have to pri my cane from the tires of cars. In large part I have found Dominicans to be very kind and helpful people. I would like to meet some expats as well. Is there a good place to meet expats? Especially some of the people on this board. Thank you

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Congratulations! That is an adventure.
I am sure that some of the denizens of Puerto Plata will chip n here to meet you. There is quite a crowd up there.

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, you don't see blind persons roaming the streets. You see blind people being led by the hand by another person. And they are on the street because they need to be gotten somewhere. Too bad you can't see the looks of people as you pass by with your cane.

Blind Man

Dec 20, 2005
Maybe it's a good thing I can't see them.I found some good places to go on my walk abouts but everyone speaks spanish. I am for sure learning a lot of spanish as I try to communicate with the people I encounter. Is there a good gathering place for expats in Puerto Plata? I kind of have a good idea of what some of the places look like in puerto Plata but an english description may be a little more helpful. I hope I am posting right as this wev site is a little dificult to navigate withoutseeing. Thank you

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Dear Blind Man, And to think I have problems!! Wepa!!! How do you manage to deal with currency here? My hat is off to someone as brave as you really are!... Canadian Bob.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
canadian bob said:
Dear Blind Man, And to think I have problems!! Wepa!!! How do you manage to deal with currency here? My hat is off to someone as brave as you really are!... Canadian Bob.

My hat is off, too.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe I'm behind the times but do they have special computers for the blind or is someone else reading this for you?

I know people that are not 100% blind that have special text but I'm just curious.

God bless you for trying to get around POP on your own. ;)

Blind Man

Dec 20, 2005
I can tell which bill it is by folding it in a different way. As to the computer I use a program which reads what is on my computer screen. It works great for text but not good for graphics. The problem is that a lot of web sites are very graphically based. Then I use short cut keys instead of a mouse to find links etc. Does any of you live in Puerto Plata?

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Blind Man, one place that you might find of interest is Sam's bar, located in the Hotel Castilla. It is located on Jose del Carmen Ariza, #34. The owner is an expat, and a really sweet woman.