Recently relocated

downsouth

Feb 4, 2006
I've recently relocated to Santo Domingo and am in the process of renting an apartment. Yesterday I was informed I will need a co-signer on my lease. Is this a normal process?

I have a million questions if someone here has time to help a new resident out.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board. FIRE AWAY...

Didn't you do any research before relocating?? Are you employed? Did you relocate because of employment? If so let the company take care of getting you some housing.

HB :D:D

downsouth

Feb 4, 2006
Thanks for the reply HB,

I'm employed, but the company pays a cost of living allowance, then lets up fend for ourselves. I guess I thought paying the 1st months rent and two monts rent as a deposit would take care of things.

Would you happen to know of a good apartment complex in the area with openings? Hotel living is getting old and I need to make a move soon...

Do you have any insight on the internet access here in SD... DSL vrs the cable flash service?

Thanks again...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am most certainly NOT an advisor on things Sto Domingo. Somebody will chirp up here soon enough.

You can get DSL from Verizon or Tricom or Centennial.

Tell the renters that your company will be your co-signer..and get them to do it.

HB

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Welcome to the Dominican Republic,

In the past was good only the deposit, but now they are wanting a co-signer, but you wont hava problems if your company do it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DSL is flash. Your milage may vary depending on your location etc.
I have heard good and bad reports for both DSL and cable.
Personally I would go with DSL (Verizon), have been using them since 97 and have been reliable and pretty good customer service.

Look in the local papers to get an idea of rental pricing.
Prices range from a few thousand RD$ per month to US$5,000+.
All depends on your budget and what your looking for?

Send me a PM and I will email you an article that we finished just last week on renting an apartment in Santo Domingo. It covers EVERYTHING you need to know.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Robert, will you post the article on DR1 for everyone to see it, or do we have to send you a PM too if we want the info?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's make this easy.

We are about to open a new section in DR1, so you cannot see the renting info online. When it opens, your be able to obviously see it online.

I have attached it here as a text file, so you can download and read.

NachoMan

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks Robert. Your guidelines will sure come handy while I search for apt. in SDQ.

By the way, any Apart Hotels/Gated Communities to recomend in SDQ ?

N.