Requirements for living/working in the DR

REEMO

Feb 4, 2006
I may be offered a position with an American firn and based in Santo Domingo and was wondering what the visa requirements are etc?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
REEMO said:
I may be offered a position with an American firn and based in Santo Domingo and was wondering what the visa requirements are etc?
Depends, are you going to be employed directly by the American firm or a Dominican subsidiary?

REEMO

Feb 4, 2006
I'll be employed directly by the company. I know about the income tax free first $80K (and that is sweet) but am just curious regarding any visa provisions etc.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
If they are bringing you to work in a position here, they will/should take care for your resident/work visa.

If your company falls under the investment law, it will be light speed and hassle free. You just have to show up for the health examination. Companies in that scheme use to take care of this for their foreign employees.

Otherwise, you will have to do it yourself. Not difficult but time consuming, specially if you don't speak the language. I saw the requirements in english, I think on the Legal forum.

Good luck

Jess

Edited to Add: Maybe this can help you get an idea of the requirements:
http://dr1.com/legal/migration/visacategories.shtml
Costs are not up to date, thats for sure. But you can read the papers involved.

Last edited:

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
keep in mind the tax free status only applies if you get residency here (not just a visa) or stay here 330 out of 365 days in a year.