More questions on Pricesmart

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Just wondering if people can recomend Pricemart for price and quality. Its a little out of the way for us, but do I remember someone recomending the meat? Mr. Mike was recommending it for batteries-- any other feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Hi dave...

I highly recommend Pricesmart...they have excellent prices and high quality goods and services...please patronize them anytime you can.

Rich

Disclaimer: see thread in business forum

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Ruffino1974 said:
Hi dave...

I highly recommend Pricesmart...they have excellent prices and high quality goods and services...please patronize them anytime you can.

Rich

Disclaimer: see thread in business forum
pm me if you want. do you work there? do they have a cut to order meat counter? TELL ME MORE!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here is a copy of what I just posted in the other "PriceSmart" thread...
"Although it is possible to find some items cheaper in other stores, we shop there for the possibility of getting items in bulk packaging/pricing.
With the quantities that we go through, we need to buy gallon containers and 5 gallon containers of various products.
For instance, for the price of 5 or 6 tiny 10 ounce ketchup dispensers in Sosua, you could get a gallon at PriceSmart for the same price.
Then there are imported food products, simply not available elsewhere.
When I spend $1,000 US at PriceSmart, I have probably saved $400 to $500 as compared to the North coast supermarkets.
This may not apply to things like TV's, computers, pens and other sundries, but when it comes to food supplies in bulk, it is definitely worth the trip."

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you buy soap powder in plastic bags (which should be cheaper), is more expensive if you buy the same soap in 40lbs plastic contianer. I find the 40lbs plastic container powder soap to be less expensive and you get to keep the durable plastic container as well.
There are many items which are cheaper in super mercado nacional. Pricesmart is better for people who like to buy in bulk, but you may not necessarily be getting better prices than, lets say, supermarkets.
AZB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ever since Price Mart upped their membership fee to RD$750 -- about two years ago -- I felt it wasn't worth it. In my neighborhood I have La Sirena, Nacional, Bravo and La Cadena supermarkets. From Price Mart I have purchased occasional house and office items, but their food was always much more expensive than what the others sold. When they stopped putting the price per pound on food packages -- so one could comparison shop -- that ended my relationship with them. I do not know if they have put those prices back.

Actually I am not loyal to any supermarket and just go from one to another taking advantage of the sales, when I can. Note that the supermarket companies are also major importers, so the produce varies from store to store.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Quality is "B" grade; for instance, they don't do Goya, but Shur-Fine

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Good Prices? I Doubt It.

I just spent close to 5k pesos yesterday in Pricemart. I am not convinced the prices are any better than buying things from other places. The reason I go is simply for the convenience. I would rather buy larger quantities of things I use often then to have to constanly buy them in small quantities in the supermarkets.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's a lot easier for us to compare, as we only buy 20 or so different items there. So we check the best local price, and when I go shopping at Pricesmart, if it's cheaper there, I but it.
As I might buy as many as 20 of one given item, if it happens to be 50 pesos cheaper, there's a cool thousand right there.
I'm not sure how it would pay off for a private resident shopping for a couple, but it's certainly worth it for us.