American to cancelled JFK-POP on april 29,2006

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
American Airlines will suspend New York City/JFK-Puerto Plata flights on 29Apr06. AA has successfully served this route for years, but the addition of Santiago to their network has huge effects on traffic (STI and POP are 24 miles apart). The suspension is indefinite, but I'd bet it will be back for next winter.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
santobonao said:
American Airlines will suspend New York City/JFK-Puerto Plata flights on 29Apr06. AA has successfully served this route for years, but the addition of Santiago to their network has huge effects on traffic (STI and POP are 24 miles apart). The suspension is indefinite, but I'd bet it will be back for next winter.

STI and POP are 24 miles apart as the crow flies, but and hour and a half apart driving. The American flights were always full. It's easier for me to connect through San Juan than drive to STI from Sosua if I need to travel on a day that Continental is not flying direct. - D

Sep 19, 2005
whats wrong with this picture?????????

It says to me that the north coats is in trouble as far as tourism from america goes! It is a stamp of proof that things are on a decline there. This big company has all the tools on hand to determine if one area is doing good or not.... they probably have whole dept to determine the future potential of an area!.

I travel to STI exclusivley...and from what i see on the plane, I can say that the people going to STI are not tourists.. they are mostly dominican.( I bet 95% or more) The flights from JFK to STI are PACKED solid every flight... they book multiple planes per day from JFK to STI!!!!!!!!!

I doubt there many people getting in a cab or a bus and going north to POP!!!!!!!!!!!.there may be in the future!.....

but this little tid bit of info, is a bad sign for american tourism on the north coats....

bob

Jan 5, 2006
Most tourists flying into POP are on chartered flights anyway, because they're buying packages that include air, hotel & transfers.

STI basically killed the influx of non tourist travelers for POP, because STI is closer to the more populated cities on the northern part of the country.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Nevertheless, 1797 and 1798 were almost always full, and many passengers were tourists. I don't think there is a big message in the change. Airlines are in trouble, and flying too many routes is probably part of the problem. Four or six full flights a week were probably not enough to maintain the route.

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
Is there any other evidence for any drop in tourism traffic on the North Coast? At least, tourist traffic from the U.S.A.?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
A pilot on AA1798 this thursday told me that he thought it was just a change in schedule which had not been made public yet. He doubted that AA would discontinue a route that he said was "very successful". I hope he's right.- D

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
windeguy said:
I did speak to a local business owner in Cabarete two days ago who told me that this is the worst year they have seen since they have been here. (I don't know how many years experience this business has). I was told that "all the tourists that are coming are going to the AI's" and they are spending less outside them this year than ever.

On a trip out last night ourselves, we didn't see many restaurants doing well in Cabarete during the dinner hours up until 10 PM. A few have even closed up during the supposed high season. Perhaps this has to do with a bad economy in Europe?

This belongs in a different section, but it makes perfect sense to me that they go to the AIs. The North Coast has very little to offer the average tourist besides the weather and beaches. The non AI hotels tend not to be as nicely maintained and not really very family oriented. But the private homes and condos seem to be flourishing as well. So between the AIs, the snowbirds and the younger crowd and sex trade who don't go to the AIs, there are still plenty of asses to fill the seats of 1797 and 1798. - D

Miko

May 23, 2003
it's time

windeguy said:
I did speak to a local business owner in Cabarete two days ago who told me that this is the worst year they have seen since they have been here. (I don't know how many years experience this business has). I was told that "all the tourists that are coming are going to the AI's" and they are spending less outside them this year than ever.

On a trip out last night ourselves, we didn't see many restaurants doing well in Cabarete during the dinner hours up until 10 PM. A few have even closed up during the supposed high season. Perhaps this has to do with a bad economy in Europe?
that the businesses (mostly restaurants) learn a lesson in economics 101 in Cabarete and other places on North coast. They hiked their prices when the peso went to 50:1 but they never reajusted afterwards. Many people who came back were ****ed at the prices and are now looking elsewere. This change from AA does prove the point that if tourists find a spot getting too expensive, they move one. Many kiters and windsurfers are now turning to Brazil.
Just hope now that these businesses reajust fast before its too late! Once they are gone, hard to get them back and its the same with an airline route