Live & Work In Puerto Plata

drbmw90

Feb 6, 2006
Could I please have some feedback from ones who are currently working and living in Puerto Plata who are originally from another part of the world?

I recently visited Puerto Plata and enjoyed my stay very much. I am interested in going down there for a few months. I was told with the new government there has been a lot of good changes happening. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on that too.

Is it difficult to find a place to live? How about employment? I was thinking about employment at one of the resorts. I am Canadian and only speak English so I'm not sure if this would limit or not allow me to accomplish this goal of moving there.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hello and welcome

You will also find pages and pages of useful info on this topic using the search function above.

When are you thinking of moving over?

Daydream :classic:

drbmw90

Feb 6, 2006
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I am looking to make the move August/September '06. I'm new to this so I wasn't aware that there are a lot of pages that will assist me with this goal so I will look them up. Is it a possibility to obtain a job at one of the resorts?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
drbmw90 said:
Hello,
Thank you for your response. I am looking to make the move August/September '06. I'm new to this so I wasn't aware that there are a lot of pages that will assist me with this goal so I will look them up. Is it a possibility to obtain a job at one of the resorts?
You are moving here after the end of the summer high season. Hotels cut staff until January. Hardly enough hotel jobs for the locals in the low season.
A foreigner can at best hope to secure a commissioned sales position. But during the low season who are you going to sell to? I would't advise moving here unless you bring at least 6 months living expenses. (If you are going to ask how much that is, you haven't done near enough research yet.)

Sandi

Aug 3, 2006
Did you live out your dream?

I wonder if you came back to Puerto Plata, found an appartment AND a job?
Keep us posted. August is here by now...;)