Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question convincing significant other to move to DR...HOW?

Hi all

was just wondering how some of you who move to DR w/ your significant other managed to convinced that person to join you in your venture. It probably is more difficult for those non-Dominican couples to convince the other person to leave this first world country to go to a third world of different culture.

I know some people ( 2 of them from my family) that were not able to stay together exactly because one of them wanted to go move there and the other did not. in fact, i know one or two that ended in bad terms because the other person kept saying...just a bit longer, just another year or two, in five years....when inreality they never really had those intentions. and before these peole knew it, they ended up going to DR alone anyways and older than they had planned because of their spouses.

I am just trying to plan ahead...lol

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How old were these people? Retired with a pension. Kids with nothing to live on? Be more specific when you ask a question. Give reasons why one would want to move and why the significant other doesn't want to move. I think that it is a great country to retire to, but not at the sake of losing contact with life long friends or family.
    Last edited by Charlielyn; 02-06-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlielyn
    How old were these people? Retired with a pension. Kids with nothing to live on? Be more specific when you ask a question. Give resons why one would want to move and why the significant other doesn't want to move. I think that it is a great country to retire to, but not at the sake of losing contact with life long friends.
    Many people are like you, Charlielyn, as indicated, especially, by your last statement. Or you can subsitute family for life long friends. Those people will always have reasons not to move. Others have something they would like to do before they day and know that tomorrow may be too late. These people are ready to make the move. Fortunately I have a wife who was ready, too.

We lived on a cruising sailboat and met many couples doing same thing. Most couples happy, well adjusted and enjoying the life together. Some were having serious problems, either because the wife wanted to quit or because the husband wanted to quit. (It is not always the wife who holds back.)

These couples have to work it out if they can, but it may be they are better off splitting. Otherwise the reluctant one will move and play the martyr, spoiling life for everyone around her. Or the one who wants to move will give up the idea and feel depressed about it for the rest of his life.

Btw, living in the DR doesn't mean you have fallen into a dark hole and will never see friends and family again. And, especially now days, with email, free calling computer to computer or computer to phone for only 2.1 cents a minute to the US, you can still maintain close relationships with those life long friends, supplemented by you visiting them once a year and they coming here, assuming they really miss having you around as much as you think they will.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, to this day it has been impossible.

Jess

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donrael
    Hi all

was just wondering how some of you who move to DR w/ your significant other managed to convinced that person to join you in your venture. It probably is more difficult for those non-Dominican couples to convince the other person to leave this first world country to go to a third world of different culture.

I know some people ( 2 of them from my family) that were not able to stay together exactly because one of them wanted to go move there and the other did not. in fact, i know one or two that ended in bad terms because the other person kept saying...just a bit longer, just another year or two, in five years....when inreality they never really had those intentions. and before these peole knew it, they ended up going to DR alone anyways and older than they had planned because of their spouses.

I am just trying to plan ahead...lol

maybe you can use these solutions
    1/ say to your wife ' you can stay at home, i'll go down, and you can send me some money whilst i have a good time'! (honesty is sooooooo important in a marriage)

2/ tell your wife you need to go down the street right now.........and never come back!!!!!!!!

3/ dump your wife and get another one in the DR that wants to share your dream of spending your money!

some thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

I just came home from work one day and said to my girlfriend, "What if we were to sell everything we have, pay everything we owe and move to the tropics?" and she blurted out, "Yes, let's do it".
    That simple.
    Of course, within a year she was out sliming around with a sanky, and the rest is history.
    The bottom line is whether you are likeminded about doing it.
    If not, one has to decide which is more important.
    Moving for one's dream, or staying in the relationship.

Post Thanks / Like

wow;you just gave me something else to contemplate;rocky.my novia went back a week ago,after three weeks here.she told me today she can not live here,too much of a culture shock,but this is my dream ,its not the best but im living it;hope to settle in soon.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by british bulldog
    wow;you just gave me something else to contemplate;rocky.my novia went back a week ago,after three weeks here.she told me today she can not live here,too much of a culture shock,but this is my dream ,its not the best but im living it;hope to settle in soon.
    I have a tendency to clown around a lot, as it's in my nature, but to be serious, for a moment. it is a decision one has to make when faced with those given circumstances.
    Nobody wants to lose a friend, a lover, or a mate, but if you are going to be unhappy in the relationship, it will just land up being a disaster eventually, so it's better to make your decision based on all the factors, then if it means severing the relationship, rip it off like a Band-Aid.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrea9k
    To me, to this day it has been impossible.

Jess
    so whats the plan, then?
    lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billyidol
    maybe you can use these solutions
    1/ say to your wife ' you can stay at home, i'll go down, and you can send me some money whilst i have a good time'! (honesty is sooooooo important in a marriage)

2/ tell your wife you need to go down the street right now.........and never come back!!!!!!!!

3/ dump your wife and get another one in the DR that wants to share your dream of spending your money!

some thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FIRST of all, I am not married yet....so lets not marry the Don.

second, recently turned single...had nothing to do w/ the DR thing...lol

third, thanks..whwen the time comes I may need to apply one of those choices.

but on a serious side, I was thinking about this recently. i am 26 now and have decided to include the idea of mocing to DR in my plans as of now (i.e. saving $, buying the house etc). but I know this topic is going to be an issue almost guarateed (its just a feeling I have...lol). i also know there are many people going through it as we speak...I mean as we WRITE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast