Sorry, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
I hope that this does not offend anyone that I like on this board (for the ones I don't care for, I couldn't care less) but there's something that is a tad bothersome:

People referring to the DR as "The Dominican".

Stop it, stop it, stop it! It makes my eyes hurt to read the country name when it's written that way.

I don't understand why so many otherwise educated, intelligent people call the country I live in The Dominican.

I can excuse it coming from an 16-year old girl asking if anyone knows Pepe from the resort she stayed at but for the rest of you, I'm not so sure.

Just a suggestion

:classic:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you new here? :laugh:

We've discussed, argued, and even made fun of people (wasn't me I swear) but it seems like nothing works. Ask Ricky in Toronto he falls off his chair every time it happens. ;)

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey...even my 3 yrs old grandson (ok- so he's four 1/2 now ) calls it the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!

Is he that more intelligent than those who call it the Dominican??

NO.....but he HAS been EDUCATED to call it the Dominican Republic!!

BTW.....he still wants to come down again to see his novia! ;)

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
I really don't understand why people call it The Dominican. WoW thats funny!

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
To me... it is the same as calling the United States of America, just United States, or States... or... even worst... America.

Jess

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
People in Canada going to the USA say that they are going to the States for the weekend. I know people here that also ask - When are you going to the Dominican? It is just a way of speaking. I know that they are refering to the Dominican Republic. It's no big deal. Personally I don't use it that way.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When faced with someone calling it the Dominican, I simply explain to them, that it's like saying, "in the Canadian" or "in the American", and after correcting them a few times and suggesting that they call it the DR, the problem ceases.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh my! Here we go again!

This "the Dominican" thing has been debated so many times on DR1, that you would think people would simply make a search and voila, there is all the info!

From the point of view of this Dominicano, calling the country any of the following is perfectly fine in any language:

1. Republica Dominicana
2. Dominicana
3. La Republica
4. RD
5. Santo Domingo
6. Quisqueya
7. Tierra de Duarte

#1 can be used any time, #2-#7 in informal situations.

I find myself using #1 when referring to the country to a person I either recenlty met and/or am in a professional setting.

However, #2 and #5, especially #5 I prefer in less formal occasions.

There, problem solved, then again most of the people who hate the name "The Dominican" for the country tend to be non-Dominican, for the most part!

Weird weird weird!:surprised

-NALs ;)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
NALs said:
There, problem solved, then again most of the people that hate the name "The Dominican" for the country tend to be non-Dominican, for the most part!

-NALs ;)
And yet I notice that "the Dominican" is not on your "fine" list either, Nals. :tired:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keith R said:
And yet I notice that "the Dominican" is not on your "fine" list either, Nals. :tired:
What is Dominicana in English?

Aaah, maybe "The Dominican".

-NALs:nervous:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
NALs said:
There, problem solved, then again most of the people who hate the name "The Dominican" for the country tend to be non-Dominican, for the most part!

-NALs ;)
Why would you be surprised?
Dominicans don't call it that, because they Speak Spanish.
They don't get offended, because they speak Spanish and don't even understand that us gringos are saying something wrong.
And for the small minority of Dominicans who do speak English, few of them are so perfectly bilingual to know that it is grammatically incorrect.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rocky said:
Why would you be surprised?
Dominicans don't call it that, because they Speak Spanish.
They don't get offended, because they speak Spanish and don't even understand that us gringos are saying something wrong.
And for the small minority of Dominicans who do speak English, few of them are so perfectly bilingual to know that it is grammatically incorrect.
Again,

It does not bothers me when anyone says:

"En dominicana ecc"

or

"In the Dominican etc"

or

" In domenicana ecc"

or

" In Dominicanische etc"

As for whether its grammatically correct or not, that's a different case all together.

In informal occasions, people tend to not put as much attention to their grammar as they would have otherwise done in a formal situation.

-NALs

Edited to add: I should state here that in informal occassions it does not bothers me if a person refers to the DR as "The Dominican" or otherwise.

However, it would bother me in a formal occassion if the country is referred to in anything but its formal name.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you are "in the Dominican", then I must assume you are male, and are in the act of copulation.
Otherwise, you are in the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rocky said:
If you are "in the Dominican", then I must assume you are male, and are in the act of copulation.
Otherwise, you are in the DR.
Let's just leave this here.

It's obvious that there are somethings a real Dominican would never agree with those who are Dominican at heart.

I don't see how on earth can anyone not know to what place anyone is referring to when they say "the Dominican", more so in an internet portal dedicated to all things Dominican!

Oh well...

-NALs

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
NALs said:
It's obvious that there are somethings a real Dominican would never agree with those who are Dominican at heart.
Funny you should say that. My wife is just as much a "real Dominican" as you, Nals, and yet she bristles whenever someone says "the Dominican" in relation to the country instead of a person (its proper grammatical usage), and considers it a sign of "mala educacion." So your thesis doesn't hold.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
sunshine_79 said:
I hope that this does not offend anyone that I like on this board (for the ones I don't care for, I couldn't care less) but there's something that is a tad bothersome:

People referring to the DR as "The Dominican".

Stop it, stop it, stop it! It makes my eyes hurt to read the country name when it's written that way.

I don't understand why so many otherwise educated, intelligent people call the country I live in The Dominican.

I can excuse it coming from an 16-year old girl asking if anyone knows Pepe from the resort she stayed at but for the rest of you, I'm not so sure.

Just a suggestion

:classic:
look under introduction-government onventional long form:
conventional short form: The Dominican
local long form: Republica Dominicana
local short form: La Dominicana
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/dr.html#Intro

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.