ok officially are TIPS(propina?) always included in the meal price?

Sep 19, 2005
so...I know we have touched on this ...but Id like to get a larger response. You go out to a meal , anyplace from an open air small resturant to a large fine dining establishment....is a TIP automatically included in the bill?... and what is it.

or is it only some places that do that.

and how can you tell if it is in the bill...will it be on a line alone as such?

or is it included in the price of each item?...thus not easily recognizable?

I have always tipped on top of the bill...and it raised a few eyebrows with my companions.

thanks...bob

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Tips

laurapasinifan said:
...is a TIP automatically included in the bill?... and what is it.
It depends where you go.
Some (tourist) places charge 10 % service and 18% (?) ITBIS and add these to the meal sum up in two bottom lines.
Others only charge 10%.
Others only 18 % ITBIS.
Others (small comedores) none. At those I tip (appr. 10 %) but not more than 40 RD$) when service
and food was good (Yes, I know the waitress didn't cook the meal.).

m'frog

brit

Jun 28, 2005
Look on the menu..it will say taxes included or not included. If they are not included there is a 16% government tax and 10% gratuity. In theory this 10% is shared, each month amongst the staff. It has been my experience that the actual server sees only a small portion of this. I advise my guests, that if their server has been a good addition to their experience to please tip 10% directly to them.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Bob,

I tip less here all the time. If the establishment is hitting me up for the 10% that is supposed to trickle down to the staff, I leave nothing or close to nothing. If that is not included, I leave 10% MAXIMUM....and that is only if the service is very good (which is very rare).

I notice that people here do not appreciate good tips. In the states, good service and big tips go hand in hand. Here, good service is rare and if you leave a big tip, they only look at you as if you are a fool who throws money around unnecessarily. Leave a big tip and go back to the restaurant the next day.....you will get the same crap service. Leave no tip and go back the next day....you will get the same crap service. The only difference is leaving the big tip makes them think you are a fool.

Larry

Sep 19, 2005
larry, I see your logic... and I realize that it is happening, but on a few occassions already I have seen the benefit of a good tip. Once was in a resturant in Li Cey....the guy was falling all over us the next time we went...luckily they only have one waiter.
the other two times have been at bars-discos...where i tipped nicely on the first round of drinks... well one was a woamn and the other a man.. and they both were at my table constantly, with napkins and asking if I wanted another round, and coming with the flashlight when they saw my GF get up from the table,

now either they do that for every one...or they liked the tip and wanted them to keep coming...I am not sure.....

the thing i didnt know was if and how it was incorporated into a bill for a meal.....now it isnt part of a bill for just drinks is it??????????

thanks again...bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
the thing i didnt know was if and how it was incorporated into a bill for a meal.....now it isnt part of a bill for just drinks is it??????????
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Just look at the bill, if they've added 10%, it includes a tip. Unfortunately as others have said, the 10% doesn't always find it's way to the staff.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
larry, I see your logic... and I realize that it is happening, but on a few occassions already I have seen the benefit of a good tip. Once was in a resturant in Li Cey....the guy was falling all over us the next time we went...luckily they only have one waiter.
the other two times have been at bars-discos...where i tipped nicely on the first round of drinks... well one was a woamn and the other a man.. and they both were at my table constantly, with napkins and asking if I wanted another round, and coming with the flashlight when they saw my GF get up from the table,

now either they do that for every one...or they liked the tip and wanted them to keep coming...I am not sure.....
I've noticed that to when I overtip a waitress, bartender, or taxi-driver, they become over attentive. Especially in a bar situation when you are tipping after rounds served. They know they got themselves a "live one". Taxis will remember you and you'll be flooded with business cards. I tend to forget and tip like a gringo "15%-20%". They see me coming:classic:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Way To Go Larry!!!!

You are now an "Official" resident of the DR!

You understand how "Tipping" doesn't work in the DR!

The more you "Tip" the less you get!

Dominicans NEVER tip! To those of you who want to say:"I was with a Dominican last night and he left a large tip!",I will say;"Ok",he was with you,"Showing Off!! Watch the other tables to see what happens!"

"Americans" tend to "Overtip",or Tip even when the service is poor! I know,I used to do that too.We want people to "Like" us,so we tip thinking that they "will"!

If you will permit me I will talk a little about "Tipping" and Dominican Prostitutes.Same thing applies.You see the Americans,Italians,and European men,walking their "Hookers" around town shopping.They bring them expensive gift,and give them way too much money,thinking that the girl will "Like" them,or at least give "Better Service",NEVER HAPPEN HERE! As Larry said,they will just think you are "Stupid"!
So keep your money in your pants!! Take out the "OTHER THING",but leave the money!!
"GO Larry,Go Larry,Go Larry"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

PS.To all you "OVER TIPPERS",STOP,you are not helping anyone!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In my experience, being 'simpatico' towards the waiter or waitress is usually the best way of getting good service.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well cccc there goes your excuse for telling the one about a Canadian and a canoe.

We'll never have to hear that one again.;)

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
I think you have received some good responses, Bob.

As a rule of thumb - in most establishments, the 10% general service tax is split between the server and the person who prepared the food. Some restaraunt owners might shoose to keep the 10% for themselves, as well.

Don't feel obligated to tip in the DR - I would recommend tipping accordingly. For instance - if there is a place you frequent regularly and you have a particular server that takes good care of you, then why not tip well? If you do this, tip discreetly - did you know that in a lot of restaraunts, the servers have to give half of their tips to the kitchen? And I'm not talking about the 10%, I mean the tips they personally receive from customers.

On the other hand, if you get lousy service from one of those people who acts as if they're doing you a favor by bringing you your food and drinks, I would not leave a single peso extra. You're a fool if you do and no doubt they waitstaff will be laughing about the "stupid gringo" who throws money around.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As a hotel and restaurant owner maybe I can clarify a few things regarding this:

1. DR law states that the 16% ITBIS and the 10% service tax be DISPLAYED on the bill. Many restaurants don't display it and supposedly include it in the price. Fact is, many restaurants doing this are not paying taxes nor giving the 10% to the staff. However, with increasing computerization of the government's tax system, it is becomming more difficult to evade paying taxes.

2. Regarding the 10%, the staff has the option of working ONLY for the 10% which is split up at the end of the month among ALL the staff, kitchen help included, or of accepting a fixed salary (usually higher than minimum wage for restaurant workers) plus WHATEVER TIPS ARE LEFT ON THE TABLE. In large restaurants with high turnover, splitting the 10% pays them a fair wage. In many small restaurants with limited clientel, they would starve if they worked for only the 10%.
As a restaurant owner, I have the option of offering them either salary plan. In almost 20 years of operation we've not had ONE staff member opt for splitting the 10% as they prefer the security of a fixed income plus tips.
We use the 10% to help pay their salaries as intended by law. Also, let me point out that in many small hotel/restaurant operations, the 10% does not even BEGIN to pay salary costs. It helps, and that's about it.
Also, let me also point out that good service STARTS in a well organized kitchen. If your food didn't come out as fast as you may have wanted, don't blame the waitress but blame the disorganization displayed in many Dominican-run kitchens. And also remember that having you wait a while for your food also gives them a chance to sell you another drink which is really where the profit lies in the food industry.

And as for you cheap people that won't reach into your pocket for mere pocket change (even $20 or $30 pesos) to show your appreciation for good service as rendered by a member of a generally poor country, I hope that your next meal served has a giant "hockie" in the center of your entree as deposited there by a member of the staff you stiffed. You wouldn't dare stiff a waitress in a restaurant in your home country. Why do it here.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Andy B said:
And as for you cheap people that won't reach into your pocket for mere pocket change (even $20 or $30 pesos) to show your appreciation for good service as rendered by a member of a generally poor country, I hope that your next meal served has a giant "hockie" in the center of your entree as deposited there by a member of the staff you stiffed.

Very classy Andy :ermm:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Andy B said:
If your food didn't come out as fast as you may have wanted, don't blame the waitress but blame the disorganization displayed in many Dominican-run kitchens. And also remember that having you wait a while for your food also gives them a chance to sell you another drink which is really where the profit lies in the food industry.

And as for you cheap people that won't reach into your pocket for mere pocket change (even $20 or $30 pesos) to show your appreciation for good service as rendered by a member of a generally poor country, I hope that your next meal served has a giant "hockie" in the center of your entree as deposited there by a member of the staff you stiffed. You wouldn't dare stiff a waitress in a restaurant in your home country. Why do it here.
Andy,

If the problem lies in the kitchen, the waiter should correct that. As the patron, it is not something I should be forced to make an allowance for.

If the restaurant is making me wait for my food so I order another drink, that is not my problem either. I dont want to wait and I dont want to sit there and ponder whether I am made to wait too long on purpose or merely as a result of incompetence. If I have to wait longer than a reasonable amount of time, the tip will be less, plain and simple.

And, then you say people are cheap for not showing appreciation for good service. This is after you explained a couple of reasons why service in this country is generally bad. We want to tip for good service. But the service has to be good first, the tip comes after.

Larry

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Larry said:
And, then you say people are cheap for not showing appreciation for good service. This is after you explained a couple of reasons why service in this country is generally bad. We want to tip for good service. But the service has to be good first, the tip comes after.

Larry

Good points Larry!

Another thing - even if the meal was absolutely fantastic and I received it quickly, I still will not tip if the server has an attitude or acts like it is an inconvenience to actually have to do their jobs.

But on the other hand - good service is always rewarded, but never extravagantly. It's different in the DR than it is in the USA - when you overtip, you're considered stupid, not generous.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
sunshine_79 said:
It's different in the DR than it is in the USA - when you overtip, you're considered stupid, not generous.

Is it really different? If in the USA a foreigner, say a Japanese businessman, leaves a $100 tip in some taco restaurant, wouldn't he be considered stupid either?
Anyway, I agree very much with Larry's last post, that tipping is for good service.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
qgrande said:
Is it really different? If in the USA a foreigner, say a Japanese businessman, leaves a $100 tip in some taco restaurant, wouldn't he be considered stupid either?

No, because that is the USA and this is the DR.

Two totally different entities.

In the USA, nobody bats an eye if a foreginer seems to be "throwing" money around. Here in the Dominican - hahaha - foreigners who throw money around are generally viewed differently.

Edited to include - as an American, I don't consider it "stupid" to tip extraordinarily well. Not at all. I was just reiterating that a lot of locals view extravagance in a negative light. I have several friends who are very generous tippers and I think they have good hearts. But when in Rome...

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"And, then you say people are cheap for not showing appreciation for good service. This is after you explained a couple of reasons why service in this country is generally bad. We want to tip for good service. But the service has to be good first, the tip comes after.

Larry"

I don't think I said service in this country is generally bad. I just offered several reasons why it MAY be what you've experienced. Any GOOD restaurant doesn't have these problems which tells me you're generally not eating in them. And yes, if you've been given good service and are well-attended, you ARE cheap if you don't tip.

"If the problem lies in the kitchen, the waiter should correct that. As the patron, it is not something I should be forced to make an allowance for." I agree, you should tell the owner or the manager and not take it out on the floor staff. Their job is the floor, not the kitchen.

And AnnaC, I don't consider my remark to be any less "classy" than some others previously made in this thread.

I think that overall we are in agreement that tipping follows good service, in many businesses for that matter. What I DO not agree with is the previous posts that say "we don't tip in the DR, no matter what." That is about as bigoted a statement that I've read on this board. What is it? Do you think you are better than Dominicans? Are they not human just like you and are to be rewarded for a job well done? THAT'S the real issue being discussed here.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Andy B said:
Also, let me point out that in many small hotel/restaurant operations, the 10% does not even BEGIN to pay salary costs. It helps, and that's about it.
Who's the employer, you or the customer? I could understand if restaurant prices reflected a savings on payroll, but they don't. I wish I had a business where I could add a 10% charge to the bill to defray payroll costs. Andy, what would your feelings be if the supermercado added 10% to help pay for the checkout girl?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Andy B said:
Any GOOD restaurant doesn't have these problems which tells me you're generally not eating in them. And yes, if you've been given good service and are well-attended, you ARE cheap if you don't tip.

Andy, I eat in plenty of very good restaurants here. I also eat in some cheaper not so good ones. Fact is I love to eat out and try a variety of different places. I could even bring up some threads here where I gave restaurant reviews and RAVED about the GREAT service (in one in particular) but I wont bother. There is no need to defend myself from your comment about where you think I eat as it was inaccurate and uncalled for.

Now, I never said I dont tip when the service is good. I do not know where you are getting that from. Fact is that bad service is a common theme in this country and as a result, I tip less. When the service is good, I tip accordingly. When it is great, I tip even more. When it sucks....well, I think I have made myself clear by now.

Larry