visa question differtn than normal.

NYWELSH

Sep 16, 2004
My girlfreind was born in the us she hasa birthcert from the us but she has lived in DR most of her life as her parents moved back to dr when she was 2 does anyone know what else she would need to travel o the us thanks.

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
re

Probably just a passport, because if she was born in the US wouldn't she be able to tavel there without a VISA?
as she would be considered american.. but I am not 100% sure.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
NYWELSH said:
My girlfreind was born in the us she hasa birthcert from the us but she has lived in DR most of her life as her parents moved back to dr when she was 2 does anyone know what else she would need to travel o the us thanks.
Her best bet would probably be to go to the US consulate in Santo Domingo and find out what is necessary to declare her US citizenship and obtain a passport.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The only thing she needs is her birth-certificate, contact the local US consulate for help.

The only problem I foresee, is the burden of proof that it is actually her on the birth certificate, does she have a social-security card or number.

Also, proof of identity!

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Erin24 said:
Probably just a passport, because if she was born in the US wouldn't she be able to tavel there without a VISA?
as she would be considered american.. but I am not 100% sure.
A Dominican passport indicating the US as place of birth won't be sufficient.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Technically, she should only need her US birth certificate (at least up until December 31, 2006; after that she would need a US Passport).

But, since this doesnt seem to be the normal situation of a US citizen returning from a vacation or business trip, I would take the advice of the other posters and check with the US consulate as to what travel documents she needs.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
rellosk said:
Technically, she should only need her US birth certificate (at least up until December 31, 2006; after that she would need a US Passport).
She also going to need an official photo identification. I don't know if a foreign ID with a US Birth Certificate will suffice.

Sep 19, 2005
I thought the passport requirements started jan 1st THIS year.... and not jan 1st 2007!

I think you need a passport now to come in the country, where before jan 1st of this year (2006) you only needed a birth certificate?

she should not have any more trouble than any other american trying to get a passport for the first time

of course thats SHOULD NOT

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
I thought the passport requirements started jan 1st THIS year.... and not jan 1st 2007!

I think you need a passport now to come in the country, where before jan 1st of this year (2006) you only needed a birth certificate?

she should not have any more trouble than any other american trying to get a passport for the first time

bob
It's Jan. 2007, they extended it an extra year.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2626.html

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:

bob
Most Americans have an American paper trail to prove they are the same person named on the birth certificate. Her problem may be providing acceptable proof of identity as she has resided in the DR since she was 2 years old. I don't know how much faith the US government has in Dominican Cedulas as a form of ID. In any event the Cedula will indicate only name and date of birth. Probably they will want more supporting documentation.

Sep 19, 2005
if push comes to shove, I bet they would be able to pull some identifying marks off the foot prints,...if it comes to that.

But I guess that is true.....there is a huge distrust in the US immigrations dept of dominicans....as told by the length of time and amount of trouble it takes to get a visa to america........

trying to think back to when i got my passport 3 years ago......there was a long wait..2-3 weeks i think...maybe they were doing a back ground check. But I dont think there was much more info on the paper work, that could PROVE identity...possibly a social security number, in addition to the BC, and a current drivers license number.....ok....maybe it would be easier...plus coming from a man my age in america, the distrust isnt there.............

so going forward....if i was to have children with a woman in the DR.. the children would be american,( in the usa's eyes) via of me. What would need to be done over the course of the years to assure easy passage into america if the time and want arose???? can you apply for a social securiy card while living in the DR?

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
so going forward....if i was to have children with a woman in the DR.. the children would be american,( in the usa's eyes) via of me. What would need to be done over the course of the years to assure easy passage into america if the time and want arose???? can you apply for a social securiy card while living in the DR?

bob
See: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

See the section for declaring US citizenship when born abroad with one US citizen parent. If it were me I would obtain a US passport for my child as soon as possible. Even if they never would want to move to the US permanantly it would open doors to them for future education and employment.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
if push comes to shove, I bet they would be able to pull some identifying marks off the foot prints,...if it comes to that.
The footprint appears on the hospital birth certificate, which is not government issued. In order to get a passports, you need a government issued birth certificate which may not have a footprint; mine does not.

Years ago when I traveled to the DR without a passport, I was using my hospital issued birth certificate. When I tried to use the same birth certificate to replace my lost passport, they said I would need a government issued birth certificate to get a new passport.

Sep 19, 2005
hey right after we talked about this thread, I got a flyer in the mail

I just found it again. It is from the US post office in my town. They are asking people to come down for PASSPORT DAY!

come and apply for a passport!

so on the flyer they have some guidelines ...

it says:

Do not sign the application until the passport agent asks you to. You will need to bring Original State Birth certificate(with raised seal) or proof of US citezenship. Photo ID required. Both parents must be present if child is under 14 years of age.

so there are the rules this PO is asking....maybe it will help get an idea of what will be asked ..

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
so there are the rules this PO is asking....maybe it will help get an idea of what will be asked ..
Actually, the OP was asking for what travel documents would be required. We all hijacked the thread and turned it into what's required to get a passport (and of course requirements for her, being on foreign soil, might be slightly different).

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
Actually, the OP was asking for what travel documents would be required. We all hijacked the thread and turned it into what's required to get a passport (and of course requirements for her, being on foreign soil, might be slightly different).
Well what document do you think she will need as she has lived most of her life in the DR? If you think she can show up with an Americaqn Birth Certificate and a Dominican Cedula to prove she is an American citizen when she gets to immigration, I think you are mistaken.