It can be hard to give up what you have in the first world to live in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
In first world nations, if you are a professional you can make good money. You are paid in strong currency. Namely US dollars and euros. There is plenty of opportunities as far a work is concerned.
I find that the hardest thing to give up for people who want to relocate to DR is the good money they can make in first world nations.
Although the DR was blessed with sunny blue skies,beautiful sugary white sand beaches and eternal summer,the down side is that money is in short supply in this nation and professionals work for peanuts. You can't dream with a Dominican salary. It might just cover your basic needs of eating,rent ect. The only way that the good outweighs the bad in DR is if you have plenty of money and can afford to give yourself a comfortable lifestyle without denying yourself of the things that you want.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If it comes down to money, then your the wrong type of person to be relocating to a foreign country. Your not going to make it, regardless of how much you make in that country.

My guess is you have never relocated or don't actually live in the DR.
That being said, it's a pretty odd question to be asking and answering all in one post :)

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I agree with Robert.. If you're looking for that kind of lifestyle, move to Miami -it like living in Latin America !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
indiana16 said:
The only way that the good outweighs the bad in DR is if you have plenty of money and can afford to give yourself a comfortable lifestyle without denying yourself of the things that you want.
Funny, I thought the exact reverse, that the only way anyone could stand living in the industrialized nations, is to have so much money and so many toys, it could distract you away from the crappy lifestyle.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
indiana16 said:
I find that the hardest thing to give up for people who want to relocate to DR is the good money they can make in first world nations.
Although the DR was blessed with sunny blue skies,beautiful sugary white sand beaches and eternal summer,the down side is that money is in short supply in this nation and professionals work for peanuts. You can't dream with a Dominican salary. It might just cover your basic needs of eating,rent ect. The only way that the good outweighs the bad in DR is if you have plenty of money and can afford to give yourself a comfortable lifestyle without denying yourself of the things that you want.

Is this based on your limited experience, or just one of those ideas that popped into your head?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
indiana16 said:
In first world nations, if you are a professional you can make good money. You are paid in strong currency. Namely US dollars and euros. There is plenty of opportunities as far a work is concerned.

Do you honestly think people move here to make money?
Or to get "things"???
If this is your serious opinion you stated here, then do yourself a favor, and never ever relocate to DR.
You will have an extremely hard time with this opinion, and be back in the US sooner than a local spends their paycheque.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Rocky said:
Funny, I thought the exact reverse, that the only way anyone could stand living in the industrialized nations, is to have so much money and so many toys, it could distract you away from the crappy lifestyle.

Exactly what Rocky said.

I dont feel the need for some of the things I had back in NY. For example, I had a big screen TV, now I have a small 20 inch tv and dont care. I dont watch it that much anyway. Back in NY, I used to spend hours in front of the TV. What else was there to do...go outside and freeze? :ermm:

Larry

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I don't know what you all go on about this girl saying people move to the DR to make money. She writes quite the opposite, that people who move to the DR in most cases have to make do with earning less money than they would back home in the USA, Canada or Europe, and that that is something you have to adapt to. For some people that might be tough. And I agree with her.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You can have stress free lifestyle here along with all the toys. Who said you can't have both?
AZB

Piso Mojado

*** Sock-puppet ***
Oct 19, 2005
Geez...

The OP states the obvious and you folks take offense. Shame on you. Especially Robert, the ex-pat success story shoeing away people for stating their opinion.

It's absolutely true. The economy of the DR (actually, all third world nations as the OP said) is not conducive to upward mobility of foreigners. Or anyone, for that matter. It is a sustinance economy. It works for what it is supposed to. Keep locals captive. Keep loser foreigners out. Attract people who have means, but don't need to work. Money, money, money!

That's why DR is a stagnant third-world country. Prosperity of the masses is not a goal. Status quo is.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Piso Mojado said:
Especially Robert, the ex-pat success story shoeing away people for stating their opinion.

Like I care what a sock-puppet thinks of my post.
Maybe you should have posted using one of your other usernames, maybe "Kuda"?

Next...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It just continues to amaze me that Indiana16 continues to think that by way of her DNA and a few summer vacations to the DR, she is more qualified to comment on life in the DR than those that live and work here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
AZB said:
You can have stress free lifestyle here along with all the toys. Who said you can't have both?
AZB
Sometimes the cake can be eaten!

Some folks only see one side of every story. When stories have more than one side, that is a problem!

Oh well, better to worry about such nonesense than to worry about something that we wish to not worry about! Right?

-NALs:classic:

Last edited:

Piso Mojado

*** Sock-puppet ***
Oct 19, 2005
Now, Robbie, let's see if you can contribute something a little more provacative than "Poster Bad, Me Good".

Edited by Robert:
Your a sock-puppet, I don't need to waste my time.
Welcome to the "Sin Bin" along with your other usernames, "bobnoxious", "kuda" etc etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Robert said:
If it comes down to money, then your the wrong type of person to be relocating to a foreign country. Your not going to make it, regardless of how much you make in that country.

My guess is you have never relocated or don't actually live in the DR.
That being said, it's a pretty odd question to be asking and answering all in one post :)

I'm exactly the type of person who will make it in a foreign country.
Cause I'm aware of the situation . So you're saying that people who relocate to DR should come with empty pockets and settle in a card board box underneath the bridge. and someone who comes in with means will not make it. It sounds very ironic to me.

Last edited:

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Ken said:
Is this based on your limited experience, or just one of those ideas that popped into your head?

I have lived in DR. It's based on my observations when I've been there.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
carina said:
Do you honestly think people move here to make money?
Or to get "things"???
If this is your serious opinion you stated here, then do yourself a favor, and never ever relocate to DR.
You will have an extremely hard time with this opinion, and be back in the US sooner than a local spends their paycheque.

You did not read the original post carefully. I didn't say people come to DR to make money. I said you need money in DR to help outweigh the negative things.
I don't think you or anybody in this board is in a position to tell anyone not to relocate to DR.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Don't worry, some folks can't tell the difference between vapid and vacuous; don't listen to anyone. Does everyone else here know what a sock puppet is? How can I tell if I am one? Do your friends vote or something?

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
HOWMAR said:
It just continues to amaze me that Indiana16 continues to think that by way of her DNA and a few summer vacations to the DR, she is more qualified to comment on life in the DR than those that live and work here.

I am qualified to comment. I'm as dominican as mashed plantain. I was born and I've lived there, I visit every 4 months. Only someone who is blind would not agree that to relocate and live well in DR, you need to bring in a good amount of capital. Unless you can live well with 4-8000 pesos a month.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
qgrande said:
I don't know what you all go on about this girl saying people move to the DR to make money. She writes quite the opposite, that people who move to the DR in most cases have to make do with earning less money than they would back home in the USA, Canada or Europe, and that that is something you have to adapt to. For some people that might be tough. And I agree with her.

You're the first person who read the post carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.