Dominican Lawyers

Animation

Jan 12, 2006
Hey everybody, I just wanted to get some info. about lawyers in the DR. from anyone that knows. Do they generally make a good living (upper-middle class)? Is it difficult to become a lawyer there and how many years of school are required before you can practice law?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Animation said:
Hey everybody, I just wanted to get some info. about lawyers in the DR. from anyone that knows. Do they generally make a good living (upper-middle class)? Is it difficult to become a lawyer there and how many years of school are required before you can practice law?

Good lawyer? if you mean that in the ethical sense, then it's an oxymoron. There are about 40.000 lawyers in the DR, however, most practice irregularly or not at all. If I have legal issues, I usually draft and file papers myself, and have an unemployed lawyer sign them. If the issue has to go to court, then I 'arrange' things directly with the DA and/or the judge, and the trial is just for show and formalities...

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
These are the legal requirements to be able to practice law in the Dominican Republic:

(1) A law degree from a Dominican Law School or the “revalidation” at the University of Santo Domingo (UASD) of a law degree obtained in a foreign university.

Students enter law school after graduating from high school. The course of studies at a good Dominican Law School usually lasts 4 ? years or more. Entrance exams, if any, are extremely easy; the attrition rate, however, is very high: out of 61 students who entered my law class of ‘81 at UCMM in 1976, 17 graduated on schedule. My son Alfredo just graduated this past January 24 from PUCMM (summa cum laude, I can’t restrain myself from adding as a very proud Papa ) and the ratio was very similar.

(2) A decree from the President authorizing you to practice in the DR (“exequatur”)

(3) Obtaining membership at the Dominican Bar Association (“Colegio de Abogados de la Rep?blica Dominicana”).

(4) Swearing in as a lawyer at the Supreme Court.

(5) Registering at the local court.

Many obtain a law degree and never practice. I would guestimate that there are 5,000 practicing lawyers in the Dominican Republic out of the 35,000 or so registered at the Colegio de Abogados.

Good lawyers make a lot of money, definitely upper-middle class.

Last edited: