Tourist Cards

Moreno

Feb 9, 2006
I'm sure this has been asked before but it seems different sources (web pages) have different amount of days you can stay in DR with the tourist card. One place says 60 days, another says 90, this one says only 15.
One more thing...I have been carrying money for the departure tax on my trips to DR but no official has ever asked for it. Do you think it is now included in the price of the tickets?

-Thanks

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Moreno

Yes this has been covered before and I agree that different sites say different things.

Here's what the Dominican republic embassy in London currently states on their website:

How long are Tourist Cards valid for?
The Dominican Government has recently extended the length of validity of Tourist Cards from 15 to 30 days. That means that a Tourist Card entitles you to stay in the country for 30 days from the date of entry. Tourist Cards are valid from the date of entry into the country; not from the date of purchase. Keep the tourist card in a safe place, as you will need it when leaving the country.

http://www.dominicanembassy.org.uk/FAQ.html

I confirmed this with them in person when I bought my tourist card in late Dec'05. However I am pretty sure that other sites in other countries will state different time periods. For some reason there doesn't appear to be a definite answer on this one and unfortunately the new tourist cards don't state a time period on the back anymore (like the old ones used to) - well at least not the one I purchased??

As for the departure tax - I have only ever needed to pay this when departing from POP airport - whenever I leave from STI I have never paid. Perhaps because STI doesn't serve holiday charter flights?

Not sure how much that helps - where are you travelling from?

Daydream

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Moreno said:
I'm sure this has been asked before but it seems different sources (web pages) have different amount of days you can stay in DR with the tourist card. One place says 60 days, another says 90, this one says only 15.
The tourist card is good for 14 days. If you are staying longer than 14 days, you may need to pay more on exiting the country, although depending on who is checking, they may give you a grace period.
Moreno said:
One more thing...I have been carrying money for the departure tax on my trips to DR but no official has ever asked for it. Do you think it is now included in the price of the tickets?
It's been included in the price of the tickets for most major carries for many years.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The new system DOES NOT work!

I stayed 30 days last month and paid nada upon leaving immigration.
This is due to the fact that they collected the "new computerized" card before entering the security area. They are too lazy to find the entry stamp on my passport. Be prepared to pay the 300RD for 15-90 days.

Moreno

Feb 9, 2006
Thanks

...You see what I mean...One person says 30 another 2wks. One says the tax is included another says it is only for POP. I usually arrive in STI.

All the same thank you very much for your help. I guess the best way is to play it safe and carry $20 and only stay for 2 weeks.
I mean paying a fine is no big deal but the hassel of dealing with law enforcement is never fun.

What do you do? Pay fines every time you travel?

Again, thank you very much

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
"Departure Tax" is inluded on all US non Charter tickets.
"Overstay fine" is nothing to even think about unless you stay over 14 days.
Then it's 300RD for 15 - 90 days.
I just returned and saw the sign in the airport.
What is your specific question?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

From an earlier thread, wow the search function still works on here!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
The tourist card is good for 14 days. If you are staying longer than 14 days, you may need to pay more on exiting the country, although depending on who is checking, they may give you a grace period.
It's been included in the price of the tickets for most major carries for many years.

14 days is what I experienced. I stayed for 17 days and upon leaving the country "the checker" told me I had to pay $10 USD because I stayed longer than 14 days. I gave him a $20. He had no change. So this nut walked all over the place to get change.

Is it just me? Do all the men working at POP seem arogant? From the guy who does the pre-inspection all the way to the guy who checks your passport just before you board the plane.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bring $RD300 next time and do not even look at them.

I do not find T.S.A. in JFK to be exactly cordial, why would a semi-literate civil service employee in any country be happy to see you?

Concentrate on the "hotties" that sell duty free perfume in POP next time dude!

Moreno

Feb 9, 2006
Eso es Todo

Thank you all. I just wanted to get some sort of offical word. So two weeks for $10. And if you are independant traveler (non-charter) sin cargo. I got right, right?

Again thank you all for your patience...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why bother?

It's amazing after it has been clearly outlined, The OP still does not understand the difference between buying a tourist card for $10 good for 14 DAYS vs OVERSTAYING and paying the fine.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Moreno said:
Thank you all. I just wanted to get some sort of offical word. So two weeks for $10. And if you are independant traveler (non-charter) sin cargo. I got right, right?

Again thank you all for your patience...

Not sin cargo for the tourist card. It's ten bucks. Don't assume a non charter airline has the departure tax, a tip - ask them . 2nd tip, have it ready just in case.

Two weeks, one must agree, is 14 days. Unless 2 X 7 isn't 14 anymore, so you are right there.

Moreno

Feb 9, 2006
Nice...

Thank you all again for your patience.

$10 for card good for two weeks.
...and be prepared to pay departure tax ($20)
-Right?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Moreno said:
Thank you all again for your patience.

$10 for card good for two weeks.
...and be prepared to pay departure tax ($20)
-Right?

Right! Enjoy your trip.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Just curious

What will happen to me when I leave at the end of April after arriving here in the middle of November with my "old" tourist card. We have been paying the extra fee (RD$500) for overstaying for two years now. No problem, but the immigration forms have changed. Has anybody experienced problems with entering the DR with the old Visas and leaving under the new rules, "forms"? Job creation? Since we are not in an AI, I am curious, if anybody had any experiences or good advice on that subject.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A. Scenario one: You pay the $RD500 fine.

B. Scenario two: They are totally clueless and you scribble the number of days you stayed on the new "Blue" tourist form and they are too lazy to find your entry stamp and you pay nada like I did!