Residency Information

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
Whilst researching my upcoming move to the Dominican Republic, I found this information regarding residency application.

'The initial process is of course the application for legal provisional residency first. In this regard, there is of course a list of requirements to meet, but they are fairly simple to comply with for most people. One such requirement is the medical exam that MUST be taken inside the country with the medical doctor at the Department of Immigration. While this sounds somewhat daunting, it is not, and in fact the entire process can take less than two hours (including time waiting your turn). A very brief interview is conducted, asking the applicant some standard questions (have you had any surgery in the last five years, do you take any prescription medication, etc.) In addition, a urine sample, a blood sample and chest x-ray is taken. What they are looking for is Aids, illegal drug usage and tuberculosis. Providing you have none of these ailments, you will pass with flying colors.
The next step is the deposit of the residency application itself, including all supporting documentation such as copies of current passport, certified or official copies of your birth certificate (you will not get this back, so it is a good idea to keep some extra sets before hand) and a police letter of good conduct from your local police department. In addition, immigration also looks for what is called economic solvency in the amount of RD$500,000 pesos at least. What does this mean? Well, it simply means that they want you to demonstrate that you are not destitute and have assets of some kind inside the country. However, the way to demonstrate this is very open ended and RD$500,000 is equivalent to about US$17,000 under current exchange rates. So, it could as simple as opening a bank account (which can be maintained in US dollars as there is no requirement that you need to convert your fund to Pesos), or you could demonstrate a real estate purchase, business investment or even utilize a locally incorporated company as well.
In addition to the above, an Interpol background check is completed by the national police and often enough, this is the most time consuming process of all. However, assuming you are not someone wanted by Interpol, you will not have a problem and this background check not a concern.
Once the residency application file is deposited, it has been the case that immigration has processed such applications fairly quickly and as such you can expect to obtain your initial provisional residency card (valid for one year) and your initial Cedula card (also valid for one year) within 60 to 90 days. With such documents in hand, you can legally live and work inside the country and have all the rights of a citizen with the exception of voting privileges (only citizens can vote in local elections). In addition, this puts you on track towards eventual citizenship, or we can say starts the clock ticking.'

Is anyone able to tell me if this info. is: up to date, accurate and complete?

Thank you very much. AL

abdullah

Sep 26, 2008
Hi,
can a peso certificate of deposit worth more than 500,000 be taken as economic solvency while applying for dominican residency. (meaning are peso CD accepted as a leagle investment for residency procedure?)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
agree,
hire a good lawyer,
sosts you for his work including your residency fees around $1.000.- - $1.500.- total, so you will not have to worry about solvency or such, the papers will be done.
exactly 1 year later you do the same procedure again and get your permanent residency which is valid for 2 years. so from there on every 2 years you just pay the taxes for renewal, no more exams, x-rays, blood samples aso.
and the good thing that somebody digged up this ole thread:
it reminded me of taking a look on my own residency card,
and what i saw??
expiration date november 28th 2008,
that's more or less today,
so on monday i will send it to my lawyer in st dgo and around 3 days later i will have my renewed one for the next 2 years back in hands.
Mike

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
Don't forget that your birth certificate needs to legalized by the Dominican consulate in your home country before being legalized at the Canciller?a and Procuraduri? in the DR. That part was most difficult for me, since I live in the DR I had to send my BC back to the US and have someone go to the consulate for me.
I've been doing the process without a lawyer and it's really not terribly difficult. If you don't feel like spending the money, you can probably do it yourself. If you don't mind spending the extra cash, then get a lawyer to do it for you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think students need residence permits...you can do with the normal tourist visa, so what if yu over stay a few weeks...you will probably be going back and forth anyway, so why bother...???

HB

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
It's 20-30K PESOS, not dollars, lol. If you're a student, you can get a student visa, it's only about $120, I believe.

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
It's 20-30K PESOS, not dollars, lol. If you're a student, you can get a student visa, it's only about $120, I believe.
i want residency to work b. I think i might try to become a fireman so i can just save all that moeny and live in the firehouse :)

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I have paid $900 for a lawyer. after this process, I do not think you need a lawyer

You do not need to open bank acount. You need to find a sponsor who own a property or car or have deposit 100000 peso bank deposit and a translator to company you in immigration office if you do not speak spanish. The only legal matter is that you understand the whole concept of legalized your birth certificate. The only time you use a lawyer is autenticate the signature of your sponsor and two dominican persons who testify that you are good moral conduct.
all info is on the immigration website

DGM

The lawyer is way overcharged and get a lawyer only if you don't want to know anything about the process.
When a lawyer get your job, it was subcontracted out to the driver who company you all the way for the process. You can find these drivers in the immigration office and directly contract with them.
Anyway, I think it will be cheaper to find a sponsor to pay him, find translator to pay him, find a lawyer to do the notary job than to hire a lawyer to do whole thing. Next time, I will do this way myself. I am looking for sponsor who has a property, or a car or have 10000 peso deposit in a bank account. Any body qualify as sponspor, please contact me, offer your service.

Whilst researching my upcoming move to the Dominican Republic, I found this information regarding residency application.

'The initial process is of course the application for legal provisional residency first. In this regard, there is of course a list of requirements to meet, but they are fairly simple to comply with for most people. One such requirement is the medical exam that MUST be taken inside the country with the medical doctor at the Department of Immigration. While this sounds somewhat daunting, it is not, and in fact the entire process can take less than two hours (including time waiting your turn). A very brief interview is conducted, asking the applicant some standard questions (have you had any surgery in the last five years, do you take any prescription medication, etc.) In addition, a urine sample, a blood sample and chest x-ray is taken. What they are looking for is Aids, illegal drug usage and tuberculosis. Providing you have none of these ailments, you will pass with flying colors.
The next step is the deposit of the residency application itself, including all supporting documentation such as copies of current passport, certified or official copies of your birth certificate (you will not get this back, so it is a good idea to keep some extra sets before hand) and a police letter of good conduct from your local police department. In addition, immigration also looks for what is called economic solvency in the amount of RD$500,000 pesos at least. What does this mean? Well, it simply means that they want you to demonstrate that you are not destitute and have assets of some kind inside the country. However, the way to demonstrate this is very open ended and RD$500,000 is equivalent to about US$17,000 under current exchange rates. So, it could as simple as opening a bank account (which can be maintained in US dollars as there is no requirement that you need to convert your fund to Pesos), or you could demonstrate a real estate purchase, business investment or even utilize a locally incorporated company as well.
In addition to the above, an Interpol background check is completed by the national police and often enough, this is the most time consuming process of all. However, assuming you are not someone wanted by Interpol, you will not have a problem and this background check not a concern.
Once the residency application file is deposited, it has been the case that immigration has processed such applications fairly quickly and as such you can expect to obtain your initial provisional residency card (valid for one year) and your initial Cedula card (also valid for one year) within 60 to 90 days. With such documents in hand, you can legally live and work inside the country and have all the rights of a citizen with the exception of voting privileges (only citizens can vote in local elections). In addition, this puts you on track towards eventual citizenship, or we can say starts the clock ticking.'

Is anyone able to tell me if this info. is: up to date, accurate and complete?

Thank you very much. AL

pesqueso

Jun 29, 2008
drug test

I'm an old hippie from cali. still smoke in my 60's. what if you fail this (only thc).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm an old hippie from cali. still smoke in my 60's. what if you fail this (only thc).

You can run your own 9-tetrahydrocannabinol test (the strips) to see if you come up clear BUT more to the point I would strongly advise against pursuing this pasttime in the DR. Not because of moral or health issues but because you'd be laying yourself open to police corruption & they are very good at it. Your supplier here would probably shop you to the police because he will get a rake off from the money you will pay police to not remain festering in a DR jail. Life's a lot simpler if you don't smoke pot in the first place, or, if you wish to, stay in a country where it is legal or where the police are not as corrupt as here.

pesqueso

Jun 29, 2008
Thanks Lambada, and I have no intention of messing with it in dr. I'm a casual user and don't need the hassel. But in order to get a residency card I have to pass a test. My question is, what if one fails this test?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
then one doesn't get residency, of course.

stay clear from drugs for at least 3 months and you will pass the test. a bit longer for more serious stuff.

and yes, pot in DR may be so cheap you'd want to bathe in it but don't. setting corruption aside buying and taking drugs carries a danger of getting involved with the police raid. and they shoot before they ask. in fact they don't ask at all, just shoot...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
then one doesn't get residency, of course.

stay clear from drugs for at least 3 months and you will pass the test. a bit longer for more serious stuff.

and yes, pot in DR may be so cheap you'd want to bathe in it but don't. setting corruption aside buying and taking drugs carries a danger of getting involved with the police raid. and they shoot before they ask. in fact they don't ask at all, just shoot...
And the kid who made a few pesos selling you the ganja, may also make a few more pesos turning you in.

I have read stories on this forum about folks slipping drugs into a suspects pocket or hand, and a cop jumping out for the arrest.

Stay away from drugs and the scum that is attached to it.