Residencia Experieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hi all~

Not sure that I used the best title possible for this thread so forgive me.

I am talking with a lawyer right now because I'm ready to get my permanent residencia.

While she has been very clear and concise in outlining all the steps, I would really like to hear from some non-attorneys.

For all of you expats who have done the residencia thing, I have a couple of questions:

1. Were there any steps in the process that were a hassle or did you encounter any particular problems? It all sounds deceptively easy when I listen to the lawyer.

2. What were your average costs? The attorney I'm working with charges $700 USD (half upfront, the other half upon completion) but I will have to pay for the medical portion, any photos necessary, any transportation to SDO, etc. It sounds very reasonable to me but I could be mistaken.

Any advice/insight/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sunnie

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As long as you have a good lawyer and that they don't fast track the application, I'm sure your be fine.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That's exactly what I paid the first time, 3 years ago so I'd say it's pretty reasonable if it includes everything. After that I did the whole thing myself for the permanent residency and although I did have to spend quite a bit of time waiting in "Migracion", it was worth it. I would say, if you can afford it, don't have a whole lot of extra time on your hands to get all the necessary documents, don't know where half the places you have to go to are, etc. etc. etc. then do it with the lawyer.

My 2 cents...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
Hi all~

Not sure that I used the best title possible for this thread so forgive me.

I am talking with a lawyer right now because I'm ready to get my permanent residencia.

While she has been very clear and concise in outlining all the steps, I would really like to hear from some non-attorneys.

For all of you expats who have done the residencia thing, I have a couple of questions:

1. Were there any steps in the process that were a hassle or did you encounter any particular problems? It all sounds deceptively easy when I listen to the lawyer.

2. What were your average costs? The attorney I'm working with charges $700 USD (half upfront, the other half upon completion) but I will have to pay for the medical portion, any photos necessary, any transportation to SDO, etc. It sounds very reasonable to me but I could be mistaken.

Any advice/insight/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sunnie

Are you aware that your first permanent residencia, is not so permanent, and lasts only one year? The lawyer's fee you quote is below market rate.

By the way, stay away from Dr. Tramp?n Mort d'Ambre, Attorney at Law.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Sunny-
First too get this straight, you probably are applying for a provisional residencia. You must have the provisional residencia for 1 year before applying for a permanent residencia.
After that you must have a permanent residencia for 6 months before you can apply for citizenship.

As an added note, a woman who marries a Dominican citizen can apply for expadited citizenship. Not true for a male marrying a Dominican.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mirador said:
The lawyer's fee you quote is below market rate.

The amount caught my eye as well, but notice, the poster has to pay for all extras, photos, medicals, fees and so on... A good friend of ours did his residencia himself now recently, and adding it all up, the fees were 7,000 in pesos. The medical alone is around 4,000 pesos if I remember correctly. (This excludes the costs of going to Santo Domingo)

Generally, if you have a good laywer, the most painful part of the process, is to get there on time to meet your laywer. The rest is a breeze. A few years ago, we had no problems, excepting that the printer to print one of the cards broke and we had to wait around for a while.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Dolly Cabrera in Santiago charged 800 US for todo, all included.
This is still the fee she charges.

Addition to that, when you get your temporary residencia you also pay the fee for overstayed days on your tourist card, from your date of arrival until date of reciving the temporary card.

Transportation to/from Santo Domingo for you is not included either.
For medical test, and not for being there to get the card.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I know of a lawyer in Puerto Plata the charges $800 US for recedencies that includes the medical exam and the back taxes you need to pay the only thing you pay for is the transportation to Santo Domingo. PM me for more details.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
On a related question

Is there a problem obtaining a residencia though one might not actually live in the DR full time? And what might be the benefits of obtaining one for someone like myself who travels there periodically?

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm definitely going to have to consult another attorney - the one I've been speaking with ensured that this residencia would be permanent. I asked her at least 3 times if I would be finished after this and she assured me, yes I would.

Liar!

Aye, back to the drawing board.

Thanks,

S

P.S. Howmar, you make it sound so tempting but no wedding is happening although if it did, the roles would be reversed for once - a woman using a man to get citizenship in another country. :laugh:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
P.S. Howmar, you make it sound so tempting but no wedding is happening although if it did, the roles would be reversed for once - a woman using a man to get citizenship in another country. :laugh:
I'm sure it could be a whole new thread deciding what an American woman getting married to a Dominican to gain Dominican citizenship should be called.
;)

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
HOWMAR said:
I'm sure it could be a whole new thread deciding what an American woman getting married to a Dominican to gain Dominican citizenship should be called.
;)

I know, Sankiette just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyone?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
jackquontee said:
Is there a problem obtaining a residencia though one might not actually live in the DR full time? And what might be the benefits of obtaining one for someone like myself who travels there periodically?

No other benefits, only that you don?t need to pay for the tourist card when entering.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
sunshine_79 said:

I'm definitely going to have to consult another attorney - the one I've been speaking with ensured that this residencia would be permanent. I asked her at least 3 times if I would be finished after this and she assured me, yes I would.

Liar!

Thanks,

S

Dolly has assisted alots of people that you know, she is also the one that assisted Scott for his Dominican citizenship :paranoid:

She speaks English ( married to an American )

dollycabrera@hotmail.com

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
I know, Sankiette just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyone?
Nah, that seems to indicate a Dominican woman in search of foreign citizenship. Maybe we should consult a psychiatric textbook.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
carina said:
No other benefits, only that you don?t need to pay for the tourist card when entering.
I believe you are also permitted to bring in an amount of personal household property tax free.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Advantages and Disadvantages of Obtaining Residency in Dominican Republic​

ADVANTAGES

1. A legal resident can work and do business legally in the Dominican Republic; a nonresident cannot.

2. A resident is allowed to bring in tax-free his household items, ranging from kitchen appliances to furniture (Article 13 of Law #146-00). A nonresident must pay applicable duties on these goods.

3. A nonresident cannot sue a Dominican national or a legal resident in court without posting a bond, usually quite high. A legal resident is exempt from this requirement.

4. In case of inheritance, a nonresident beneficiary must pay a 50% surcharge on applicable estate taxes; residents are not subject to this surcharge.

5. For many foreigners interested in not paying taxes in their home countries on income earned outside their home country, it is a prerequisite to obtain residency status in another country.

6. A resident can enter the Dominican Republic without having to buy a tourist card; a nonresident must obtain a visa or buy a tourist card.

DISADVANTAGE

1. A resident in the Dominican Republic will be subject to Dominican income taxes and to Dominican inheritance taxes.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Got my permanent residency in 72 hours!

sunshine_79 said:

Liar!

Thanks,

S

I don't mean to brag...but,I went thru a very connected lawyer in SD.
I got immediately my permanent residence and it took less then 72 hours...
Beleive it or not?
No back doors; Did my medical, went for my cedula the following day, got my residency card the day after!
Everything was completely legitement. I also got with in 15 days a license to bear a weapon. Every thing came out to $2000.00 US.
In two weeks I am expecthing my license to carry.
My lawyer promessed me that for $5000.00, He can also get me my Dominican citizenship in less then two month.(Just paid a little extra to be on top of the pile...). Iluvdr.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
iluvdr said:
I don't mean to brag...but,I went thru a very connected lawyer in SD.
I got immediately my permanent residence and it took less then 72 hours...
Beleive it or not?
No back doors; Did my medical, went for my cedula the following day, got my residency card the day after!
Everything was completely legitement. I also got with in 15 days a license to bear a weapon. Every thing came out to $2000.00 US.
In two weeks I am expecthing my license to carry.
My lawyer promessed me that for $5000.00, He can also get me my Dominican citizenship in less then two month.(Just paid a little extra to be on top of the pile...). Iluvdr.

Be very, very careful. This all sounds like pie in the sky. I know two people who got "express" Cedulas that turned out to be completely bogus but they looked good.

Scandall

Status
Not open for further replies.