soya milk...

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Hello,

I know this is the living in DR section, but I figured locals would know best. Does anyone know if it's easy enough to get soya milk in supermarkets in Cabarete? I'm allergic to milk and, having travelled a great deal, I've often had trouble finding it.
As I'm only coming for two weeks, I can bring some of my own then live without once it's gone. Just thought I'd ask to save myself carrying it with me.

Cheers everyone, looking forward to exploring!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know about in Cabarete, but in Playero supermarket in Sosua it is easy to get soy milk powder. We have been using it for years to mix our own. Sometimes they have soy milk in cartons, but you have to watch for it. But soy milk powder almost always available in 5 lb and approx 3 lb cans. Also available in smaller packages.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Cheers Ken,
Powdered will do just fine, I've never used it before, but it's really just for coffee and cereal and what not, so I'm not too fussed. Anything that saves me carrying more in the little suitcase is great news. Thank you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Don't Know What A "SOYA" Is,But They Must Be Really Hard To Milk!!

Extremely rare,or very small! Because their milk is very very expensive!:cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
carol11 said:
Powdered will do just fine, I've never used it before, but it's really just for coffee and cereal and what not, so I'm not too fussed.

Since you will be here for just a short time, look for the small packages. They are like an aluminum foil bag with the product info on it. In the big Playero supermarket in Sosua, the milk is on the shelf facing the dairy products and soft drinks, etc that are in the open refrig against the wall. Stand facing the shelves the milk is on. The small packages are on the bottom shelf at the left end.

But before you go there, check the small supermarket in Cabarete. They should have soy milk there, too.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Thank you again Ken...I lived in Spain for a year or so and, when I first arrived, I kept looking everywhere for soy in the supermarkets. I did eventually find it, but they kept it with the baby food and formula etc, probably the last place I would have looked. Now I check that section first every time I'm in a foreign supermarket, so you have saved me the search. Thanks...
Oh, and Criss, Soyas are indeed VERY difficult to milk. And they have sharp little teeth as well, plenty of workers are injured daily in their attempts to milk the little beasts. Soya farmers are forever having hire fresh workers to replace those who've lost digits and their insurance premiums are exceptionally high, thus the price. Be extremely careful in Soya habitat!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
carol11 said:
Oh, and Criss, Soyas are indeed VERY difficult to milk. And they have sharp little teeth as well, plenty of workers are injured daily in their attempts to milk the little beasts. Soya farmers are forever having hire fresh workers to replace those who've lost digits and their insurance premiums are exceptionally high, thus the price. Be extremely careful in Soya habitat!!!

All correct, and on top of that, there is now fear that there has been an outbreak of soya flu in the area of the soya farms. It hasn't hit the newpapers yet, but it won't be long at you will be hearing about it on CNN.