Dominicans abroad, if you were Presidente por un dia, what would be the first issue..

Noman

May 17, 2004
you would tackle?? When you were living back home in beautiful Quisqueya, what was it that you most hoped for from the government???

p.s. Me, personally, I would create a federal reserve system, modeled after the US. I would take all the economic powers away from the congress and the executive branch, and place it on a central bank that has no political alliance. I believe that by doing this, corruption by the different parties and leeches that come through them would cease a bit, and the economy would be a totally separate apparatus from the political arena.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
One day is not enough. But......

If I had, say, a year to mess with, this is what I would do:

Overhaul the armed forces by firing 95% of the higher echelon officers and "morphing" them into one effective, efficient fighting force that can protect our border and littoral.we don't need tanks, fighter jets or battleships.
We need helicopters, coast guard frigates, and personnel carriers.

Abolish export taxes. this is a detrimental to national growth and foreign investment.

Create a judicial system similar to the US's were justices have lifetime tenure. The judicial branch of government operates independently form the executive and legislative. Their one sole aim & purpose is to uphold the law so that no one is above it.

Redirect a good chunk of the revenues to fund free education for anyone who wants it. A school lunch program from kindergarten to high school.

Subsidize medical care for the poor.

fund a national family planning program. (If we don't limit our numbers, we'll end up as poor as Haiti).

Build two or three coal-fired power plants to satisfy our electricity needs.

Enact strong laws against polluters and clean up our cities and beaches.

Build more and better roads nationwide.

Legalize gambling, prostitution & marijuana smoking.

Sanction million-dollar sports meets. Let's make DR a destination for world-class competition.

Support & facilitate the research and implementation of alternate energy sources such as wind, solar & biomass.

Ban guns so that only the police and military can bear arms. Anyone caught carrying one illegally will automatically receive a jail sentence. (to be determined).

Before anyone questions where the money to fund all these projects will come from, let me tell you that if half the so-called government "employees" were eliminated, you'd save enough $$$ to do all this and more!.....Greed, indifference, inefficiency, ineptitude and downright thievery is what's keeping us and most of Latin America in the poor house!

Noman

May 17, 2004
I agree with most of the things you would do...

but what is the motive behing legalizing gambling, prostistution and marijuana?? You want to tax these things?? How about the side effects that all these initiatives would have on the society? I can clearly see why they would be good for the country, so why haven't politicians taken a narrow road towards these reforms??

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Because people want it!!

You know, most people's idea of "fun" consist of either one of these three or a combination there of. Moral principles aside, these are money-making machines that will attract the aficionados from throughout the world.
Las Vegas, Nevada isn't called "sin city" for its prudish demeanor. Any Idea the money spent there?
DR can be a major world magnet for smokers, gamblers and sex pervs with big bucks who can't "get it" at home. If DR were a very safe destination for guaranteed personal satisfaction without legal consequences, the capital generated, morality not withstanding, can only boggle the mind!! What would you do with an influx of several billion dollars per year??? Huh?

Noman

May 17, 2004
Don Juan said:
You know, most people's idea of "fun" consist of either one of these three or a combination there of. Moral principles aside, these are money-making machines that will attract the aficionados from throughout the world.
Las Vegas, Nevada isn't called "sin city" for its prudish demeanor. Any Idea the money spent there?
DR can be a major world magnet for smokers, gamblers and sex pervs with big bucks who can't "get it" at home. If DR were a very safe destination for guaranteed personal satisfaction without legal consequences, the capital generated, morality not withstanding, can only boggle the mind!! What would you do with an influx of several billion dollars per year??? Huh?

the idea makes "cents", but, I dont think our country should sell its soul for riches. If we are going to develop an economy for the 21st century, lets develop it on the strength of the Dominican identity, not on the identity of the "vices" of the human race.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Well said.

Noman said:
the idea makes "cents", but, I dont think our country should sell its soul for riches. If we are going to develop an economy for the 21st century, lets develop it on the strength of the Dominican identity, not on the identity of the "vices" of the human race.

And I happen to agree with you. Morality is a very admirable human attribute. Without it, we'd be up a $hit creek. It is one of the elemental basis for a harmonic society. We can't let go of our principles. It is the glue that binds us all. The alternative is chaos and oppression. However.....humanity is and will always continue to be: Perverse. If the DR does not bring about the wherewithal for this type of commerce, they'll find it somewhere else and we'll lose out on, potentially, enough $$$$ to satisfy all our woes. Including, top quality, free education for our children among many other things.
Does your morality allow for some bad for the overall good of our children? Or will you tell them they can't attend school and have free lunch because it's wrong to accept money from the devil? This is a dilemma that must be dealt with logically without moral qualms. These "vices" will do for our country, a lot more good than harm. Therefore, to all those sex addicts out there, I say: "come".

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
1. get rid of 60% of the bottom feeding larvae you call government.

use saved money to:

2. lower taxes and fees
3. build roads, schools, and the entire energy production and distribution system.
4. feed the scum to the hungry sharks

Noman

May 17, 2004
I'm sorry...

Don Juan said:
And I happen to agree with you. Morality is a very admirable human attribute. Without it, we'd be up a $hit creek. It is one of the elemental basis for a harmonic society. We can't let go of our principles. It is the glue that binds us all. The alternative is chaos and oppression. However.....humanity is and will always continue to be: Perverse. If the DR does not bring about the wherewithal for this type of commerce, they'll find it somewhere else and we'll lose out on, potentially, enough $$$$ to satisfy all our woes. Including, top quality, free education for our children among many other things.
Does your morality allow for some bad for the overall good of our children? Or will you tell them they can't attend school and have free lunch because it's wrong to accept money from the devil? This is a dilemma that must be dealt with logically without moral qualms. These "vices" will do for our country, a lot more good than harm. Therefore, to all those sex addicts out there, I say: "come".

...but I have to disagree. My question to you would be, how can erasing whats morally right from the education of human beings help their overall good?? I think you are trying to destroy one monster by unleashing another. I'm going to have to side with those who, having nothing but their morals, still find a way to wake up in the morning. If you took their morality from them, then our society will truly not be able to function. I believe that we, as people born like all others, can find a way out of our current situation, without losing our most deared possession.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Noman said:
you would tackle?? When you were living back home in beautiful Quisqueya, what was it that you most hoped for from the government???

p.s. Me, personally, I would create a federal reserve system, modeled after the US. I would take all the economic powers away from the congress and the executive branch, and place it on a central bank that has no political alliance. I believe that by doing this, corruption by the different parties and leeches that come through them would cease a bit, and the economy would be a totally separate apparatus from the political arena.

Sorry..........that wouldn't work. There's already a Central Bank in the DR. That alone would not solve your problem. Corruption would not stop because of that. Economics and politics go hand in hand. Hasn't history taught people that? Sheesh......... :disappoin

Noman

May 17, 2004
Jon S. said:
Sorry..........that wouldn't work. There's already a Central Bank in the DR. That alone would not solve your problem. Corruption would not stop because of that. Economics and politics go hand in hand. Hasn't history taught people that? Sheesh......... :disappoin

separating politics from economics...take the economic powers away from politicians...i dont think this has been done in the D.R...

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
That's the thing, Noman. Regardless of whether it's in the DR or elsewhere, you cannot separate economics from politics. What are most political theories, from Communism to Capitalism, based on? Economics. The allocation of scarce resources. It's all about how resources are distributed and the methods used. The thing is that Communism will criticize the flaws in Capitalism and vice-versa. There is a need for some cold-hearted, calculated decisions to be made in the DR government in regards to the economy and that won't ever happen. I lost hope in all that already.