Increase in price of electricity service in Santiago

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I recently was told by someone I know in DR that there is an intention to raise the price of the electricity service by 70% in Santiago, and that there are strikes presently taking place to prevent this increase from happening. Has anybody heard of this?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The effort being made is to COLLECT money for 70% of the electricity consumed.

Currently the electric companies estimate about half the power being distributed in the country is not being paid for.

If you are already paying for electricity you should see little or no change. If you are not someone may try to get you to start.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
MrMike said:
The effort being made is to COLLECT money for 70% of the electricity consumed.

Currently the electric companies estimate about half the power being distributed in the country is not being paid for.

If you are already paying for electricity you should see little or no change. If you are not someone may try to get you to start.

When you say COLLECT money for 70% electricity consumed what do you mean?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I mean that more than half the country's electrical consumption is never billed to anyone, it is either stolen or just ... found lying around by the people who use it.

They are trying to reduce that 50% figure to around 30% and collect for 70% of the power people use.

Not sure why they couldn't shoot for 100% but some of these folks can't add too good so that may have something to do with it.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
MrMike said:
I mean that more than half the country's electrical consumption is never billed to anyone, it is either stolen or just ... found lying around by the people who use it.

They are trying to reduce that 50% figure to around 30% and collect for 70% of the power people use.

Not sure why they couldn't shoot for 100% but some of these folks can't add too good so that may have something to do with it.

ok I get what you're saying. I'm relieved to learn there won't be a 70% increase in my electricity bill.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bear in mind that we are already paying double for our electricity, subsidizing those who pay nothing, and although I would love to see them collect from everybody, thus reducing my bill, I'll settle for them applying the additional funds to giving us better service.