Where is Dominican Pride?

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
I have a question. Why do Dominican Locals treat their magnificent, beautiful, historical city as if it were one gigantic trash can? I observe Dominicans (not Tourists, god forbid) throwing trash of all kinds onto the sidewalk and streets and do it sometimes when they are less than 3 feet from a trash receptacle, it will go into the street! I have even observed human excrement on the sidewalks, especially around the huge government building next to the National Police Palace. What is wrong with Dominicans; have they no National Pride or is it just part of the culture to trash their City and County? If this ruffles some "feathers", be advised it is meant to and in the process maybe something can/will be done with this National disaster.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I've never been able to figure out.............

ECH714 said:
I have a question. Why do Dominican Locals treat their magnificent, beautiful, historical city as if it were one gigantic trash can? I observe Dominicans (not Tourists, god forbid) throwing trash of all kinds onto the sidewalk and streets and do it sometimes when they are less than 3 feet from a trash receptacle, it will go into the street! I have even observed human excrement on the sidewalks, especially around the huge government building next to the National Police Palace. What is wrong with Dominicans; have they no National Pride or is it just part of the culture to trash their City and County? If this ruffles some "feathers", be advised it is meant to and in the process maybe something can/will be done with this National disaster.

...........why they will cover their mouth when they pick their teeth with a toothpick but take a "dump" in front of 100 people in the middle of the beach!

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
ECH714 said:

America is the same way. I see people throwing trash on the street all the time. The only difference is that the government actually cleans up behind them. If DR had street cleaners like the US does, their streets would be a lot cleaner.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
POP Bad Boy said:
...........why they will cover their mouth when they pick their teeth with a toothpick but take a "dump" in front of 100 people in the middle of the beach!
Why is it I never get to meet these people? taking a dump in the middle of the beach with 100 people watching?
ECH, you have lived here long enough to know dominicans throw trash on the streets, so why the awakening to this issue now?
AZB

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
The situation is getting far more worse than better is one reason and dog poop is to be expected but not human excrement; this is a relatively new revoltin' development. Let alone a total lack of sanitation and therefore a public health hazard.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Delicate but necessary subject.....

ECH714 said:

I am with you if you are saddened or sickened by this behavior. I am sure you know that many developing countries suffer from a similar ignorance, and by this I mean a lack of information and a lack of knowledge.

All they need, and it is not coming soon, is a publicity campaign that connects littering to say .... $hitting on the national flag, or something like that. But there is no money for this. Never will be. Not in our lifetimes.

I personally have wondered aloud if dr1, or another group of concered folks could do something to educate the public on littering.

One naive idea that passed my way was to collect money, then print notebooks with catchy slogans about littering on the cover, and then hand them out free to schoolkids, who always need this kind of stuff.

Another option would be to use your own auto and have it decorated with slogans like that. JAJAJA.

I doubt we have enough money to purchase major radio or T.V. advertising. Scratch that one.

And, in the bigger picture, we have heard time and time again that folks in the RD, on the average (not all) are suffering from poverty and its ills. First priority is taking care of survival needs.

Anti-littering campaigns like I suggested have been successful in countries with the disposable income and corporate contributions necessary for its large scale approach to media.

Thank you for bringing up a touchy subject!

P.D. Its not just the RD, I remember that once I saw a 3 year old boy (his backside) with his pants down to his ankles, ****ing on the wall of a federal building, while his mother, waiting for a bus, joined the onlookers in disbelief as she yelled, "boy, I don't even know you. You ain't mine!" All this happened in Washington, D.C. True story. And they were not Dominican!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
What a Shame

:bored: :bored: What a shame. You people, and I mean you PEOPLE generalize on what a few low-life creatures do and suddenly ALL Dominican do the same. Here in the Big Apple you see the same thing. Homeless leaving on the street. Defecating on any given street and I don't read about anyone of you complaining about it. Nevertherless I think that something should be done about this type of behavior, but please, Not all Dominican are the same...

Zeus (primus inter pares):ninja:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This has already been covered before.
We need a "Don't be a litterbug" campaign, as we saw in the 50's & 60's in America, followed by levying fines for those who do.
We are a bit behind the times, but catching up quick, and with people like Keith and the Green Team on the job, maybe it will be sooner than later.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Frank the Tank said:
Maybe the crying indian can come out of retirement for some anti-litter ads in the dominican republic.
I don't think there are too many Taino Indians left, and that campaign came later, to draw attention to industry that was polluting the waters.
You have to climb the ladder, one rung at a time, from the bottom up.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
AZB said:
Why is it I never get to meet these people? taking a dump in the middle of the beach with 100 people watching?
AZB

hmmmm....no beaches in Santiago, perhaps? ;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We noticed how "litter-free" Santiago is compared to SD.

There have also been improvements over our last visit to Sosua so the situation IS improving albeit slowly.

Even SD is not near as littered as it used to be.

This is not a problem that can be solved in a day especially with the proliferation of plastics and styrofoam which create a nightmare for disposal especially on an island that is a 'developing' country!

Indeed, as with so many other things, education is the key!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"It's The CULTURE Stupid!!!!"

Would you get all upset about a dog taking a "Dump" on the street??? The "Dog" doesn't know any better!!!!!!("Nuf Said???)

And to those of you who say;"They do the "Same Thing" in the USA!","I" don't!! And we are talking about the "DR" here! NOT THE USA,or any other Country! Do you know how "Stupid" that respose is to ANY problem??? "They Do It Other Places Too!" How DUMB Is THAT??
To those who say "It's the "poor,uneducated" who "Trash" their own Country!"
I say,"Friday I was going home for lunch.I live in "Arroyo Hondo".While driving past an "upscale" Catholic High School(Read as:"Rich White Kids!) there was a street cleaning crew sweeping(by hand!) the street in front of the school.Out came the kids,who began to throw papers,cups,and "junk food" wrapers right where the people were sweeping up!I mean at the feet of the "sweepers"!
This also can give you insite to what the "Rich White Dominicans" feel about the "Poor Black Ones"!
They Don't Even "Phucking" SEE THEM!" They don't EXIST!!!

"Dominican Pride"?????????????=A Dominican man who whas 10 kids with 8 different woman,and supports none of them! "THAT"! is Dominican PRIDE!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Que?

Criss Colon said:
Out came the kids,who began to throw papers,cups,and "junk food" wrapers right where the people were sweeping up!I mean at the feet of the "sweepers"! This also can give you insite to what the "Rich White Dominicans" feel about the "Poor Black Ones"! They Don't Even "Phucking" SEE THEM!" They don't EXIST!!!

"Dominican Pride"?????????????=A Dominican man who whas 10 kids with 8 different woman,and supports none of them! "THAT"! is Dominican PRIDE!!
I'm still a bit unclear. Perhaps you can offer more examples. :alien: :alien:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Pride of lions, perhaps? Nah, forget I said that. Criss, what did you mean?
Well, let's see...

Criss Colon said:
And to those of you who say;"They do the "Same Thing" in the USA!","I" don't!! And we are talking about the "DR" here! NOT THE USA,or any other Country! Do you know how "Stupid" that respose is to ANY problem??? "They Do It Other Places Too!" How DUMB Is THAT??
Here, he's simply telling people to stop showing the fault of the US on a DR related site.

Makes sense, though this is a good way of saying yes its true about the comparison but not on "topic" due to the purpose of such forum as this one.

Criss Colon said:
To those who say "It's the "poor,uneducated" who "Trash" their own Country!"
I say,"Friday I was going home for lunch.I live in "Arroyo Hondo".While driving past an "upscale" Catholic High School(Read as:"Rich White Kids!) there was a street cleaning crew sweeping(by hand!) the street in front of the school.Out came the kids,who began to throw papers,cups,and "junk food" wrapers right where the people were sweeping up!I mean at the feet of the "sweepers"!
Here he is trying to make an example from a bunch of children.

Could have been a good example, except that kids the world over throw garbage in places where they are not supposed to. Some actually throw the garbage in the garbage cans, but it's only some.

But, let's not be naive of the real message. He is stating that rich people pollute as well. Wow, what a big surprise!

I thought another DR1er stated that the rich were like "ghosts", almost invinsible. If this is so, how on earth would the overabundant masses learn anything from the "invinsible" rich?

This leads to another question: Are the minority rich influencing the majority or is it vice versa? Hmm... one rich guy in an SUV throws something out the window and just because of that the sorrounding 13 poor people in a modest vehicle do the same?

For goodness sakes! The rich initially ignored and detested Merengue for being the music of the masses, not so anymore!

With bachata the same thing was occuring which was seen as lowly music for "chopos", a couple of years ago things started to change among the upper classes regarding this music, though they only accept the most "refined" versions.

Geez, who is influencing whom?

You would think the numbers would be influential enough...

Criss Colon said:
This also can give you insite to what the "Rich White Dominicans" feel about the "Poor Black Ones"!
They Don't Even "Phucking" SEE THEM!" They don't EXIST!!!
Here he is bringing race into the equation. Of course, this is highly subjective because if a white man marries a black woman and has children with her, that too can be considered what whites feel towards black regarding the "strong" white guy penetrating into the "weak" black woman.

It may be sexus, it may be wrong to think in such way, but it's the same exact thing he's saying in his example.

This is similar to people who say that a certain movie has a hidden message or critic of society, only for everyone to findout later on that the movie was simply meant to be entertaining, nothing more nothing less.

Again, highly subjective which in this case only a race conscious person would be thinking about in any given situation.

If people would become suspect when seeing white people around non-whites, then seeing a white guy having a "black" wife would be as suspect as well, even more so if a white guy goes after non-white prostitutes which could be bought with pieces of papers with dead presidents! Again, the whites dominating over the non-whites dilemma.

But living life in those terms is tiresome and too cynical. Afterall, aren't most DR1ers in the DR because of the more relaxed attitude towards these types of issues? Who knows.

And to think that sweepers, cleaners, janitors (whatever you want to call them) are thought to be lower in the social class scale. I thought that was the reason why MOST people around the world never notice those who clean after them, regardless if the sweeper is white, black, yellow, or blue!

Criss Colon said:
More critics of "society".

The problem is that "society" includes all types of people, not just the types we like to criticize alot.

-NALs:ninja:

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
NALs said:
Here, he's simply telling people to stop showing the fault of the US on a DR related site.
I think you misunderstood, everything about his post.
When CC writes, "Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss Colon
It's to point out that something wrong, does not become justifiable, just because others do it.
Would it be allright to commit murder, because a lot of murders are commited in the US?

#########################################################
Note From CCCCCCCCC,No wonder I like "Rocky" so much,he "Gets It"!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry Rock,the day a Dominican can actually accept a criticism of themself,the Dominican Culture, or Dominican lifestyle,no matter how deserved,is the day that they can actiually start to do something about the Country's problems! Until then we will just continue to hear their "Boiler Plate" responses:"I didn't do it!"
Everyone else does it!"......It's not my fault!"..."It's worse in "Nueba Jor!"

Where did that "White vs. Black stuff come from??????????

And all that from a proven DR1 "LIAR" who lives in Connecticut washing dishes!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator: