need jabs???

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Hi everyone,

My mum (no, I'm not six, but mums are mums) was chatting with me online last night and wanted me to assure her I've had my Hep (A or B, can't remember) and my thyfoid shots before I head to DR. I haven't. Is it really necessary, is the risk of contracting either particularly large??? I don't plan to drink any tap water and I'll be cooking for myself mostly. Any thoughts?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot depends on what you are going to be doing here.
I think that if you were going to live here for an extended period of time, working in the local environment, outside of the tourist areas, then a certain precaution would be a smart thing to do. Talk to your Doctor, start your Hep A&B program--I think you need to have three altogether..Typhoid?? Naw. Tetanus booster-yes.

But first, do some analysis of just what you are going to be doing, promise?

And give Mum a hug, she's an okay gal...

HB :D:D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There is no disease called thyfoid. There is a gland called thyroid and a disease not present in the DR called typhoid.

Hepatitis A is a necessity travelling anywehre to the 3rd world as it is spread by poor sanitation and sewage, neither of which are in short supply in the DR, that is for sure.

Hepatitis B is spread through IV drug use and sankies (both sexes). Avoid the latter 2 and you can get by with Hepatitis A.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
apostropheman said:
get your hep A&B, together from twinrix. you'll need a few weeks leadtime to be sure but well worth it. hep A&B ar fairly easy to contract and since there is a vaccine why not protect yourself?

Note the B regimen taks 6 months so if a few weeks is = 24 you are right. One shot, another after one month and the final at 6 months. Some B protection is given with part of the regimen. Most of the A is right away.

B is actually hard to get without sexual or IV drug type blood to blood/fluid contact.

Soo...wrong on the time and ease of infection otherwise bang on.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Thanks everyone, and excuse the spelling. I don't have time for the full hep A, but there is a short term protective jab called normal immuoglobin (and no, I'm not sure I've spelled that correctly either) which provides protection for about 3 months, so I'll see if I can round that up somewhere here. Since I won't be using IV drugs or having sex with any strangers, I'll skip B. Cheers

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Let's get it straight.
First, if you are planning on traveling as a tourist, to touristy areas, and not doing anything different here than you would at home, you are no more likely to get Hepatitis here, than there.
Secondly, avoiding Typhoid is all about cleanliness and sanitary food.
Typhoid is basically a higher degree of "Turista"/"Montezuma's Revenge"/"The Trots". One level higher is Salmonella poisoining, and one up from that is Typhoid.
Thirdly, Typhoid vaccinations are hardly effective, if at all.
Lastly, to say that Typhoid is not present in the DR is incorrect. Typhoid lives in humans and can be spread to others by people who are carrying the disease, after handling their own feces and not washing their hands and directly or indirectly contacting you.

If you are a volunteer worker, going to spend 6 months in some remote little village with no running water & electricity, then, by all means, get every shot you can.
Otherwise, you are probaly more likely to get the disease from the vaccine itself, than by normal means.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
thanks again

I've been thinking on this for the day and it really does seem excessive to me to get jabs for a two week vacation in Cabarete. I don't generally go to the doctor for anything. Knock on wood that my good health continues. A tetanus booster wouldn't be such a bad idea, but I reckon if I step on a rusty nail or other such, I'll get a tetanus shot.

Thanks again everyone. Just for the record, I plan to surf, swim, play some volleyball, maybe canyoning/cascading, and sip a few beach-bar drinks. Nothing too too risky I don't think....

A

apostropheman

carol11 said:
I've been thinking on this for the day and it really does seem excessive to me to get jabs for a two week vacation in Cabarete. I don't generally go to the doctor for anything. Knock on wood that my good health continues. A tetanus booster wouldn't be such a bad idea, but I reckon if I step on a rusty nail or other such, I'll get a tetanus shot.

Thanks again everyone. Just for the record, I plan to surf, swim, play some volleyball, maybe canyoning/cascading, and sip a few beach-bar drinks. Nothing too too risky I don't think....
you might surprise yourself...the chicas can be very tempting:bunny:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
carol11 said:
I've been thinking on this for the day and it really does seem excessive to me to get jabs for a two week vacation in Cabarete. \
And you'll be glad to know that there is a great clinic in Cabarete, called ServiMed.
It's owned & operated by a fellow by the name of Dr. Gideon, born in Israel and educated in Germany, and very competent.
They even have a 24 hour emergency service.

A

apostropheman

Rocky said:
The cold must be getting to you, buddy.
Check the OP's name....
oops...but the OP "could" be male...Carol O'Conner comes to mind:cheeky:

it's beautiful up here right now...glad i'm not near NYC...they're getting killed with the white stuff:pirate:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Nice try.
I thought of him too, but then again, how many other men called Carol have you heard of.
I still maintain your brain is frozen solid.
Heck, it must be frozen for you to say it's beautiful up there.
Are you sitting on a beach on lake Ontario in your shorts right now?

A

apostropheman

no, just in my b-day suit in my overheated apartment!:ninja:

trust me...i'd much rather be there but since i'm stuck here till atleast May i'm making the best of it...and it REALLY is beautiful today, all things considered.:pirate:

you have a point about the name thought...see the link
http://www.namestatistics.com/search.php?name=CAROL

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
carol11 said:

This is a pretty ignorant approach to a known problem. The resort sanitation and general sanitation in the county is poor. Hepatitis A is a real and preventable risk. Either the immunoglobulin shot or one A vaccination is all you need. I agree B is not a likely problem unless you get in the sack with a sankie.

Assuming you are American the CDC recommends it for these same reasons, for all the Caribbean. http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm#vaccines

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG).Transmission of hepatitis A virus can occur through direct person-to-person contact; through exposure to contaminated water, ice, or shellfish harvested in contaminated water; or from fruits, vegetables, or other foods that are eaten uncooked and that were contaminated during harvesting or subsequent handling

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Hi there, I rarely approach anything with ignorance and I'm Canadian actually, living in Europe at the moment. Weighing my personal risk of contracting Hep A, I think it's unlikely. I understand sanitation is poor and that I am taking a risk, but given the level of activity I'm likely to indulge in and the fact that I'm keenly aware of the risk factors, I reckon I'll be fine. Fingers crossed.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Carol 11. Get the Hep "A" shot at least. Drinks without ice add a safety factor. Wash your hands using one of the little "wash without water" bottles (Largely alcohol) several times a day. Get real about protecting yourself from nasty diseases which have lasting effects. Avoid eating fish to prevent Ciguatera poisoning, which is very serious. Lobster & shrimp are safe from this. Enjoy your vacation! Canadian Bob.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
carol11 said:
Hi there, I rarely approach anything with ignorance and I'm Canadian actually, living in Europe at the moment. Weighing my personal risk of contracting Hep A, I think it's unlikely. I understand sanitation is poor and that I am taking a risk, but given the level of activity I'm likely to indulge in and the fact that I'm keenly aware of the risk factors, I reckon I'll be fine. Fingers crossed.

In this case you have approached it with ignorance regardless of nationality. The level of activity you need to indulge in includes eating or drinking any food or beverage, anywhere. Bad sanitation did not mean you are going to swim in sewage lagoons, however knowing how some waste is disposed of offshore you may be doing just that.

In addition dirty hands caused a Hep A outbreak in Vancouver just by stacking and sorting produce so imagine how clean things are where you go. Ice is hadnled, fruit, meat, buffets, etc. Those outbreaks they have of viruses inside resorts and ships are usually caused by bad hygiene. In this case it is just a possibly fatal virus.

Take the risk based on not wanting to bother or the cost, but don't think you have reduced it with misconceived risks of your activities unless you eat and drink air.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
carol11 said:

In this case you have approached it with ignorance regardless of nationality. The level of activity you need to indulge in includes eating or drinking any food or beverage, anywhere. Bad sanitation did not mean you are going to swim in sewage lagoons, however knowing how some waste is disposed of offshore you may be doing just that.

In addition dirty hands caused a Hep A outbreak in Vancouver just by stacking and sorting produce so imagine how clean things are where you go. Ice is handled, as are fruit, meat, buffets, etc. Those outbreaks they have of stomach viruses inside resorts and ships are usually caused by bad hygiene. In this case it is just a possibly fatal virus.

Take the risk based on not wanting to bother or the cost, but don't think you have reduced it with misconceived risks of your activities unless you eat and drink air.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ricktoronto said:
In this case you have approached it with ignorance regardless of nationality. .
I think this is going a bit too far.
If she's ignorant, then I suppose that 90% of the DR1 expats are as well.
I live here, 24/7 and not only have not had any Hep shots, but I have only seen or heard of 1 case in the entire 15 years I've lived here, and it was a tourist, so I'm not sure if he didn't already have it when he came to this country, as the incubation period can be a bit lengthy.
Furthermore, mentioning the AI resorts as some type of special source of Hep, is not accurate.
There was the Norus Virus thing at on of the Riu resorts a year or so ago, and 6 isolated cases of Malaria in Punta Cana a few years back.
I'm quite sure the OP is not going to be crawling around with the pigs & the rats.
Heck, she's staying in Cabarete.
When was the last time you heard of a case of Hep in Cabarete?
Calling her ignorant is out of line and you seem to be a bit misinformed.