Higuey - What to do?

-JennyPuj-

Feb 12, 2006
Hola everyone,

I've read alot on this forum but I've just joined today as I have a little question. I will be working in Punta Cana for a while and as I don't know anyone in there or in Higuey, I was wondering if someone could tell me some of the nice places to go to hang out. What is nice to do there? I've looked around the website of Higuey but it doesn't say much..

I've been to different places in the DR but mostly bigger city like Santo Domingo, San Pedro, La Romana and such... Where there's always things to do :)

Thank you very much!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
-JennyPuj- said:
Hola everyone,

I've read alot on this forum but I've just joined today as I have a little question. I will be working in Punta Cana for a while and as I don't know anyone in there or in Higuey, I was wondering if someone could tell me some of the nice places to go to hang out. What is nice to do there? I've looked around the website of Higuey but it doesn't say much..

I've been to different places in the DR but mostly bigger city like Santo Domingo, San Pedro, La Romana and such... Where there's always things to do :)

Thank you very much!

Well welcome to the area. Someone's probably going to shoot me for saying this but there isn't much to see or do in Higuey besides the Basilica. I go there just for grocery shopping and buying odds and ends while I wait to go to Santo Domingo. All depends on what you look for and like to do. Punta Cana/Bavaro has a couple of nice night places (not much of a partier myself), and many different kinds of excursiones (if you can afford them). Do a search on this site and you'll get a few referrals. Myself, I enjoy driving around and visiting deserted beaches....

So, just to save someone else their breath, where are you going to be working?

Good luck!

-JennyPuj-

Feb 12, 2006
Well thank you for the reply,

Hopefully nobody shoots you for what you said because that's what I thought and heard from friends too... Are you living in Higuey? I will be working pretty much all the time (at SPB) so I don't need that much to do or see but I was thinking there must be a place where everyone hangs out? A bit like those Malecons we find everywhere even though there's none there... Maybe a good discotheque where ppl go, a place to play pool or a street with bars where ppl hang out & play dominos & drink? A good restaurant? :)

Thanks alot again!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Hig?ey, is the residencial, commercial, service, governmental, educational, medical, market, and religious center of the province, a no nonsense city. It would not be considered pretty. A great many of the dedicated Punta Cana/Bavaro resort workers are from Hig?ey and make the daily trek of an hour, 45 km, one way; to the tourist zone.

The sites of interest are the basilica and the old chuch by the city central park. A walking tour to the central market area (can be dirty,sandels not advised) will give you an opportunity to buy items that cannot be found in the tourist zone. Also, from Hig?ey, a side trip 20-30 min to San Rafael de Yuma to visit Ponce De Leon's farm home is worthwhile . Then continuing another 15 mins from there to the small village of Boca de Yuma to possibly enjoy a seaside meal of fresh fish on a cliff with a vista overlooking the ocean.

Regards,
PJT

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Higuey is home to most of the Dominicans who work in the Punta Cana area, so it has a vibrant community. Do take note that people get home tired from a long day at work, and thus you do not see many places where people are hanging out. Regardless, am told the night spots are lively, mostly with locals. I suppose a highlight would be to get invited to someone's home, to get insights into real Dominican lifestyle.

-JennyPuj-

Feb 12, 2006
Well PJT & Dolores thanks alot !

As I will be working most of the time, I think for my day off it does sound like a good place to go & wander around some times until I make some friends & maybe get invited to someone's home :) I had friends living in Santo Domingo area so I agree the real Dominican lifestyle is a wonderful one.. Can't wait to go now!

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
welcome to Dominican Republic, when you get tired of those places in Higuey, in El Seybo there are a nice disco, near to the central park. you can go in weekends.

Here in Santo Domingo there are tons of places to go too.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Hello JennyPUJ,

Welcome to DR1.

I was just wondering, where are you from and how did you get this job?

As far as Higuey goes, it is a nice city. I'm actually visiting Higuey for two weeks in May. Maybe we could meet?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
-JennyPuj- said:
Well thank you for the reply,

Hopefully nobody shoots you for what you said because that's what I thought and heard from friends too... Are you living in Higuey? I will be working pretty much all the time (at SPB) so I don't need that much to do or see but I was thinking there must be a place where everyone hangs out? A bit like those Malecons we find everywhere even though there's none there... Maybe a good discotheque where ppl go, a place to play pool or a street with bars where ppl hang out & play dominos & drink? A good restaurant? :)

Thanks alot again!

No bullet wounds so far... guess I'm lucky this week...lol I'm living in Punta Cana right now, just accross from the airport. If you'd like to meet our local bar "Mascara", let me know. I personally haven't been there much but I hear it's not too bad... We've also got bowling and pool, Baskin Robbins, a great bakery and Pizzarelli so at least it's an option!!

Sep 19, 2005
I went to Higuey with my GF and her mother. Mainly to see the big ugly church.....that out of the way( for my GF!!) I said lets walk the streets in town and shop... we went into many shops for clothes, but they are all small.

Not like the shops in santiago which did have some small shops but also had many that were as much as 3 to 4 times the size of the average Higuey store. We also went into a furniture store and i saw a few really nice dinning room tables with burl walnut inlays.....I just love walnut furniture....seems 90 % of everything is mohagony down there...or at least stained to look like mohagony...... anyway there were no deals!!!!!!

they wanted about $5K US and up for the tables I liked

bob

-JennyPuj-

Feb 12, 2006
Hey thank you all so much, keep going tho... you can tell me everything about the place I love reading about it :) I will definitely keep coming here once I get there and yes it would be great to meet with you Kate & everyone else that live around! It would be great to get a first glance at the city not all by myself :) Oh btw I'm from Canada and finishing a degree in Tourism..