Live Music in the DR

LatinMusicLover

Feb 13, 2006
As my name suggests, I absolutely love latin music - all types. In fact, a Dominicano once called me a platanera during my "merengue-only" craze.

I will be travelling throughout the DR for my first visit over the next week (arriving around Thurs. Feb. 19) and was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find out about upcoming concerts, live music venues, etc. Any merengue or bachata band will do! I would pay serious money if Juan Luis Guerra was available....

Any suggestions at all are warmly welcome! :classic:

Gracias!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
If you are travelling throughout. You will have no problem finding venues. They tend to be the "Bombas" or Car Washes ! You will see road signs made from hopsack and nailed to telephone poles and the like with the artists names on them. At least its that way here on the north coast. I know that Tona Rosario was playing in one of the venues here near Gaspar Hernandez either this past weekend or the upcoming one. The concerts are almost exclusively on Saturday Nights. Ill be in Sosua later today so I will check to see who is around.

Joe

Btw

Juan Luis Guerra y 4.40 will be doing 3 shows in Colombia this next March. They expect fans to enjoy the colorful mix of tropical sounds that has made tha band famous.

March 1 - Medell?n - A. Girardot Stadium
March 3 - Bogot? - Carmel Club (abre: Wilfrido Vargas)
March 4 - Cali - P. Guerrero Stadium

Tickets sales in tuboleta.com

LatinMusicLover

Feb 13, 2006
Some go for the sights, I for the sounds!

Thanks for this Joe! I'll look out for the bombas indeed!

I haven't finalized my itinerary yet, especially since I am torn as to where to go for Sunday's Carnaval celebrations (La Vega, Monte Cristi, SD?). There is just so much to see I might limit my measly little week to the North coast with the hopes of returning on another trip. If you could let me know any events you think would be worthwhile, I'll owe you one in chilly Toronto! (PS. Typo in last posting - I'm arriving on Thurs. the 16th - flight booked today!)

Having said that, I want to attend a really authentic event - someplace only the locals go to. In fact, I would prefer to be the only tourist in the joint!

On the north coast of Venezuela, (where I'm from), there are tiny towns that play "tambores" during Semana Santa and San Juan - the vibe and dancing is like nothing I've ever seen. Since DR culture / history is somewhat similar, I was wondering if there is any place in the DR with this distinction (tambores or other non-commercial musical genres)?

Too bad the pocketbook won't allow me to follow Juan Luis Guerra to Colombia. Does he do frequent shows in the DR? Seeing him live is on my "things to do before I die" list - no joke!