are inverters capable of powering airconditioners

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
is it possible for the inverters to power an airconditioner? or will the aircon drain the inverter's batteries? im not an expert on this so if you have any thoughts!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
billyidol said:
is it possible for the inverters to power an airconditioner?
Yes, but not a great idea
billyidol said:
or will the aircon drain the inverter's batteries?
Yes, big time.
billyidol said:
im not an expert on this so if you have any thoughts!
Buy a generator with double the capacity of your maximum consumption. Turn everything on in the house, measure the consumption with an ampmeter, and double that amount. If you buy a generator that barely can handle the load, you will burn it out quickly.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Ever see that commercial, I think its for an SUV where a semi truck is stranded and the dude in the SUV gives him a tow?

That's kind of what its like to run an AC on an inverter. It's physically possible but not recommendable and certainly puts alot more strain on your system than what you want to apply regularly.

If the guy in the commercial went out towing semi trailers in his SUV every day you can bet he's not going to get HALF the gas mileager his vehicle is rated for, and that will be the least of his problems.

Same goes for those of you who try to run an AC with you inverter.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have never heard of anyone running an A/C with an inverter.
AZB

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Most A/Cs in the DR are 220V and they are window units. Most inverters are hooked up to house so they can power up all 110V outlest but they're wired to bypass the 220V outlets. I've yet to hear of anyone that actually uses their inverter to power their A/C in the DR.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Jon S. said:
Most A/Cs in the DR are 220V and they are window units. Most inverters are hooked up to house so they can power up all 110V outlest but they're wired to bypass the 220V outlets. I've yet to hear of anyone that actually uses their inverter to power their A/C in the DR.

so what do you need? a generator plant?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Yes, and as Rocky previously mentioned, get one that could handle twice the load of all your appliances in your house. He's got a pretty good method for figuring out what you need to do.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Jon S. said:
Yes, and as Rocky previously mentioned, get one that could handle twice the load of all your appliances in your house. He's got a pretty good method for figuring out what you need to do.

If it comes to a cost issue a generator rated at 125% of the total load is more than adequate. Why 125% and not 200%? Most gen-sets are more efficient operating between 60-80% of rated load. In the trade it is referred to as gen-set. A gen-set consists of the generator and an engine. Another choice is diesel or propane. Some manufacturers produce generators that will operate off of either fuel.

For more information do a google search for Generac, Kohler, or Cummins generators. Each website has a section on home generators.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I have seen it done and I have set up systems like this as well as tried it in my own house. In my case I bought a 110 AC specifically for this purpose. It proved to be a bad idea as it went through my 16 batteries like eating a small bag of popcorn at a boring movie.

On another occasion I set up a dual 3.6 inverter system to supply the requisite 220v to power another unit at a client's house, the client has a generator and so if he ran out of battery power at least would not be without lights. In this setup the installation worked most of the time, but was clearly overtaxed and required regular servicing.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
bigbird said:
A generator is definitely needed. An inverter (UPS) is primarily for a short term and small demand.

so whats the bottom line?????? assuming one purchases the right generator ....is it cheaper to supply this generator with propane ALLLLLLL month or just use public electricity ect . to rephrase , if i had 1 aircon and the usuals ,tv, lights, 1 person in the house ect...could you see my propane bill getting up to 150-200us$ a mth????????????

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
billyidol said:
is it possible for the inverters to power an airconditioner? or will the aircon drain the inverter's batteries? im not an expert on this so if you have any thoughts!

It is possible; but at a cost of draining the batteries, shortening the life of the batteries and the hours of available power for other household devises should a blackout continue beyond the battery capacity.

It would be wise and cheaper to invest in a couple of fans to operate off the inverter and put some screening on the windows and open them wide and let the breezes enter.

Regards,
PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As Expensive as "Line Power" Is,It Costs More To Generate Your Own!

Not by a great deal,but still not worth it! (YET!!!!)
If I could get 24 hour a day street power,I would pay about 700 or 800US a month!As it is,I "Should"pay about $300 US to the Power Producer for 30 to 40 % of my power,use my planta about 25 % of the time,and the inverter/batteries to make up the difference.(Note,the planta also charges the invertor batteries when it runs!)I am paying 3 to 400 US $s a month for Diesel fue for only 25% of my use!
I don't want to calculate any closer than this rough estimate,I might hang myself if I actually knew the exact amount per month !!

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
That is a good setup, and generally what I would recommend. The AC will also help you keep track of when you have street power and when you dont.

Unfortunately using an AC part time will increase your perceived discomfort during blackouts, since the AC kind of "spoils" you.