Cell phone bandit on a pasola...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Iv'e been here a while now and have never been the victum of a crime but almost was yesterday, albeit a fairly small crime.

I was in SD and had just finished having breakfast in Minolo restaurant across from the Jaragua with Scandall and a friend of his visiting from Boston. After breakfast, I decided to take a walk down to the Colonial Zone and took a left on Independencia. I walked maybe 100 ft and took my cell phone out to make a call (it is a motorola V635 camera phone and cost me $200 dollars). As I had it up to my ear, all of a sudden, I heard a pasola coming up behind me and....WHACK!"...a hand smacked my hand as the bandit on the pasola tried to grab the cell phone out of my hand as he sped past. Well, the cell phone bandit was not very good as he was only successful in knocking my phone to the ground.

Well, I was very surprised to put is mildly and my initial reaction was to pick up my phone (which was not damaged). I then started running towards the bandit and screamed the worst word I could think of at the top of my lungs. I wont say what the word was but it started with "M" and ended with "UCKER". But the bandit was speeding off and I had no chance. Then, when he was only about 100 feet away, an older mad who owns a small stand there on the street where he sells, cigarettes, gum etc. had obviously seen what the cell phone bandit had done and picked up a broom as the bandit drove diirectly towards him on the sidewalk. The old man cocked the broom back like Babe Ruth would a baseball bat and as I was running and saw this, everything seemed to slow down for a split second as I could envision the old man knocking the bandit off the pasola and then me arriving on the scene and proceeding to "SMACK" said bandits head off the concrete several times. Well, the old man cocked the broom and just as the bandit reached him, he teed off with a Ruthain swing and "CRACK", he wholloped the bandit real good but after a whobbly moment, the bandit was able to regain his balance and sped away. Lucky him.

So, no real harm was done. My phone is fine and so am I. I was extremely thankful to the old man who came to my assistance and in me, he now has a friend for life. Every time I walk past him, I will stop to buy something and chat. I will also be more aware when speaking on my cellphone.

Larry

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've always heard that the Capital is notorious for cell-phone stealing thugs who would snatch it right off peoples belts, you've lucked out, good deal.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It happens everywhere. I remember studying in Arroyo Hondo school and always being told to not wait for the bus outside the school because "te van a jolopear"............

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!

It happens everywhere on the island.

Who can forget the "jewelry grabbers". Now they have graduated to "cell grabbing" but still keep grabbing chains and watches on the side. Not to mention grabbing some girls "booties" while passing by!.

You are lucky that there weren't 2 guys on the pasola. Some of these morons grow some balls when there are two of them. A friend of a friend, gave chase and not only did they stole his cell, but after seeing that he gave chase, they made a turn, came back and beat the hell out of him and THEN stole his wallet and watch. He said that it took less than 1 minute and that he noticed one of them carrying a gun.

Some of these pricks have been doing this for years and have perfected their craft. That's the reason that EVERY SINGLE TIME I am on my cell, in the DR, if I hear a motor passing by, I immediately try to see where the motor is, just to see if it's coming my way. Better safe than sorry.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It makes sense when walking along to keep as far in from the kerb as possible, and to carry your bag on the shoulder that is away the kerb. It doesn't guarantee you won't be targeted, but it makes it that bit more difficult for the would-be assailants.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chirimoya said:
It makes sense when walking along to keep as far in from the kerb as possible, and to carry your bag on the shoulder that is away the kerb. It doesn't guarantee you won't be targeted, but it makes it that bit more difficult for the would-be assailants.

Chiri,

I was in the middle of the sidewalk. The cell phone bandit was driving on the sidewalk.

Larry

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Buy a Bluetooth headpiece and keep the cellphone in your pocket concealed.
Or buy a $RD200 earplug/mic in one of those shops near 30 de Marzo.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Was he wearing a watch?

Larry, did you happen to see what kind of watch this thug was wearing?

Chuckuindy

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
I think we all should be paying that old man's place a visit when in the area.
Hats off to him!
If more folks got involved like he did, there'd be less crime around....that is if any police ever show up to collect the garbage.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
pescador said:
I think we all should be paying that old man's place a visit when in the area.
Hats off to him!
If more folks got involved like he did, there'd be less crime around....that is if any police ever show up to collect the garbage.

He has a little stand on the street about 2 blocks down from the Jaragua but on the opposite side. I will find out exactly what streets it is between.

Larry

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I hope your wounds are healed, and I was only breaking your balls about the watch. Your health is a lot more important.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tamborista said:
I hope your wounds are healed, and I was only breaking your balls about the watch. Your health is a lot more important.
If you only knew the price of that watch.... believe me, the health would come second.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Larry said:
He has a little stand on the street about 2 blocks down from the Jaragua but on the opposite side. I will find out exactly what streets it is between.

Larry
Give him 500 pesos on my behalf, and I'll give it to you the next time I see you.

Sep 19, 2005
my GF had her phone lifted in january while at the nail salon. She is always putting the thing down. She must have put it on a chair then forgot it...one of the other women took it as they left.

we tried to call many times to see if we could buy the phone back

to me it would be worth the cost of a new phone....because I would have saved all the time I lost trying to buy the one she has now..plus all the numbers she lost....of those people you met once and dont call a lot....but want their number just in case...all gone

you would think that the carriers could tell from the serial numbers if the phone made calls any place and who if any assigned a new number to that phone....

in american that may work...but I doubt the DR has the means or the desire to try and catch a phone thief

I wish i went to SD...id drop by and reward that old man as well...because now he is a target for that jerk

bob