Couple of questions on DR police forces

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am looking for the following information if anyone can provide it:

--What are the current salaries for Amet, Politur and PN?

--What is the chain of command for each department?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Larry said:

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Larry,

I have a friend who works for AMET. He's been with the force for 2 years. He makes 6,500 a month.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Larry said:
Thanks in advance,
Larry

Larry, one of the DR police forces (Amet, Politur, PN, or whatever) greatest drawback is not being a civilian organization. DR police forces members are all part of the military or FF.AA. This means that individual police officers have to respect military rank. Several times I've heard over the police radio an urgent all-points call, and most of the units are being used by higher ranking military personnel for purposes unrelated to the police...

-

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Larry said:

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Hey Larry, sorry I don't have any figures as of yet but I have "the mole" out on an assignment today.

Now once again - we're not facturing in bribes, right? ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
Hey Larry, sorry I don't have any figures as of yet but I have "the mole" out on an assignment today.

Now once again - we're not facturing in bribes, right? ;)
Any luck with that sunnie?

Keith, that website is great but I dont see that info I need there. Lots of other interesting stuff though...thank you.

Specifically, I need the ranks of PN, Amet and Politur, AND the salaries. I dont need the salaries for each specific rank. I need the salaries of the foot soldiers for each department....the guys you see on the street.

Anyone?

Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
4-6 k / month for new foot soldiers
new politur on monumento makes less than 6 k / month. maybe close to 4 k.
AZB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
AZB said:
4-6 k / month for new foot soldiers
new politur on monumento makes less than 6 k / month. maybe close to 4 k.
AZB

Thanks buddy. Sorry but I need exact figures or as close to exact as I can get.

Larry

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Why would anyone want to be a policeman here?

I live across the street form the police station in Naco.......other than how nice some of the women look in uniform I don't know what else they do!

I do know that those that guard the president, ( he lives around the block ) can sometimes pull a 12-16 hour shift, with no overtime, and get paid very little in comparison to the states. A meter maid in NY prob ably makes more, and doesn't have to put her life on the line.

When I was running a company in San Isidro, we had to have the police come in a few times. They had to wait for a taxi to come to the free zone, they have to buy their own pisols and radios, and the police chief was making just over two hundred US a month. Did I mention that they lovked their personal motorbikes in the offices so they would not get stolen? Or that although there were persons in the jail cells, people just walked in went straight to the back to talk wo them, eat and split a beer?

Just like home, right Larry?

JRR

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Sorry that I still do not have the precise rank structures for you yet - been a bit under the weather - but I did find out the salaries of the PN.

Keep in mind that depending upon locale, the salary may be a bit more or less.

For the ranks of corporal and below, the policeman is paid 6,000 RD per month - 3k on the 1st and the other 3k on the 15th of the month. With each promotion, the rate of pay goes up accordingly. But the higher the rank, the more the pay increase is.

For example, a policemen who is being promoted from Corporal to sergeant only gets 600 more presos per month.

When a policeman is promoted to say Sergeant Major, the pay raise is significantly more.

Only when an enlisted police officer has reached the rank of senior enlisted does their time in service count towards their pay. For instance, take a lower enlisted sergeant - he may have been in for 12 years but will still make the same amount that a sergeant with 5 years makes. But, take a sergeant major with 12 years - he will make more money that another SGM who has only been in for 5 years.

So, an exact salary cannot be determined amongst senior enlisted, only lower enlisted.

Officers are paid more.

A second Lt. is paid a base salary of 10,000 RD per month. A first LT. is paid 12,000 per month. A captain is paid 14,000 per month. A major is paid 16,000 per month. Any rank above MAJ - you're getting into your senior ranks there - is dependent upon time in service.

The Dominican police force has similar guidelines as the US military. The rank structure is almost identical to that of the US Army. I will find out for you - I promise :bunny: - the exact rank structure of enlisted police officers tonight. I will check the big blue book I told you about. The officer ranks are the same as the US Army with the exception of Generals. The US Army has Brigadier, Major and LT. Generals as well as just a 4-star general. The PN has just generals. BUT since a lot of the police force here get their uniforms from only God knows where, you will sometimes see them wearing incorrect rank on their collar. And some of them actually go so far as to put - or keep? - patches on their BDU's. Its hilarious. About a month ago, I saw an officer with a Pathfinder patch on his uniform. Since there is a chance he could have previously been in the US military, I asked him about it because I was curious. He had nooo clue what I was talking about. Either he sweed it on because he thought it looked cool or it was already on the uniform when he bought it. (For the record, a Dominican police officer who served in a foreign military is authorized to wear foreign tabs and badges on their uniforms if they indeed earned the right while serving abroad. That is why you sometimes see cops here with jump wings and air assault badges on their BDUs.)

Aside from that, the officer ranks are as follows:

2nd Lt.
1st Lt.
Captain
Major
Lt. Col.
Col.
General

The enlisted ranks are the part I'm not quite sure about. I know they follow bascially the same strcutre as the US Army but there are a few I'm not sure about, like Staff Sgt and Master Sgt. I'll see tonight.

The AMET shouldn't be difficult either but I truly don't know about the Politur side. Just keep in mind that the poiltur are paid, as a rule of thumb, more than both the AMET and PN because they are paid by 2 different sectors - the police side AND the tourism side.