Question for Chiri or Pib....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Can you tell me what the English equivalent is for Goma Mirra??

I'm assuming it's a spice however as it was found in the supermarket beside the 'inscensio' and I haven't seen it here before I'm just wondering what it is.

It smells similar to the 'gira' used in East Indian cookery so I am wondering if that is what it is albeit this was in a granular form rather than pulverized.

Thanks for any help in solving my mini mystery!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MommC said:

I'm assuming it's a spice however as it was found in the supermarket beside the 'inscensio' and I haven't seen it here before I'm just wondering what it is.

It smells similar to the 'gira' used in East Indian cookery so I am wondering if that is what it is albeit this was in a granular form rather than pulverized.

Gum Myrrh is not used in cooking. It is sold by the pound in Plaza Lama (by the fresh produce stands), and in the DR is used as a 'sahumerio', to 'clean' (ward of evil) in homes and other environments. The procedure is to place a few grains on top of smoldering charcoal, and the smoke will do the job....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, urr, hmm, myrrh... just what I was going to say but Mirador beat me to it... ;)

Now, had it been a cooking question....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Mirador.......I kinda suspected as much since it was near the incense but I wanted to be sure.

In Canada the native Canadians use 'sweet grass' to 'purify' and ward off evil and I had hoped that I would find the same type of thing here however I was expecting to find a plant product in one of the local markets rather than a granular product in the supermarket.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MommC said:
Thanks Mirador.......I kinda suspected as much since it was near the incense but I wanted to be sure.

In Canada the native Canadians use 'sweet grass' to 'purify' and ward off evil and I had hoped that I would find the same type of thing here however I was expecting to find a plant product in one of the local markets rather than a granular product in the supermarket.

Actually, I prefer fresh rosemary for 'sahumerio'. By the way, early morning Thursday is best for doing your home...

-

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I prefer sage bush, however

even the herb sage is difficult to find in the DR......let alone sagebush.

Of course sage bush isn't exactly easy to obtain in Canada either however sweet grass can be had with a call to the local Indian Friendship Center!;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MommC said:
Sre you sure you are not talking about "Come mierda"?
AZB