Leaving for DR Friday

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
This is my very first thread! And it will also be my first time to the DR with my boyfriend. We are leaving on friday Febuary 17th.Can't wait.We will be staying at Azzurro Club in Cabarete. I have seen many mixed reviews about the resort, and would like to know what our expectations should be? While we are there we would also like to do different excursions, but dont have alot of money to be spend. I am really interested in going to the Damajagua falls, and was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to get there? Are there any other not to be missed activites to do while we are there? We also have friends that will be going at the same time as us. They will be staying at the Occidental Jack Tar resort, I beleive that it is in Playa Dorada. We wanted to get together with them one day, would anyone know how far the resorts are from one another? All the information I can get would be wonderful. I just pray for good weather!! ;)

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Enjoy the D.R.

Hi there. Lucky you, heading to Cabarete. We were there Feb 8-15 this year.
I do not profess to know all, but I do know that Playa Dorada complex would take about 40 minutes to drive to from Cabarete. I was not in the complex, but we drove by it when we took our day trip.
If you are in Cabarete, try to get to Playa Grande beach. I just found it to be so breathtaking!! The beach right at Cabarete was OK, although somewhat sort of murky or something when we were there. Not the nice blue/green water that one expects. However, lots to see and do at Cabarete Beach.
I have no knowledge of Azzuro club either, only that it looked OK.
If you like lobster to eat, don't bother, unless someone else out there on DR1 can tell you where to get it.
Try to find a cab driver that you like and trust and stick with him. That was what we did. We made a deal before we went anywhere and it worked well for us.
Hope you have fun!!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you want to get together with your friends staying at Jack Tar, it would be best to have them come visit you, rather than you visit them. Jack Tar is an All-Inclusive Resort. You won't get past the gate without being a registered guest or paying for a day-pass (around $35/person). They can get to Cabaret very easily and cheaply by getting the Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan guagua (public van) on the main road in fron of Playa Dorada. It runs every 10-15 minutes. Cost to Cabarete is 30 pesos/person (less than US $1). Even if the guagua looks crowded, many will get out in Montellano, a few miles past Playa Dorado.

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
Thanks for the info, both of you. I didnt know that we would have to pay if we went to visit them at there resort,so we will definitely look into an alternative.How would we get to Playa Grande Beach from our resort? is the transportation there pretty easy?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
7butterflies said:
Thanks for the info, both of you. I didnt know that we would have to pay if we went to visit them at there resort,so we will definitely look into an alternative.How would we get to Playa Grande Beach from our resort? is the transportation there pretty easy?
Take that same Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan guagua towards Rio San Juan from Cabarete ( head east). Get off at Playa Grande. Should be about 40-50 pesos. Make a day of it, have them meet you in Cabarete and continue on to Playa Grande.

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
Awesome, sounds like great ideas. I know I mentioned it before, but does anyone know more about the Damajagua falls?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
7butterflies said:
Awesome, sounds like great ideas. I know I mentioned it before, but does anyone know more about the Damajagua falls?
They are awesome and well worth the visit.
Buy the tour from a tour group, outside of your AI resort. It will cost you less.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky said:
They are awesome and well worth the visit.
Buy the tour from a tour group, outside of your AI resort. It will cost you less.
That is true. Go to the Plaza (shopping mall) within the Playa Dorada complex. There are at least 4 or 5 tour operators selling the Damajagua Falls tour as well as other tours. Don't be afraid to compare the prices and bargain a deal from of them. The tour operator selling from within the hotel has a monopoly and will tell you not to buy outside the hotel. The tour operators within the Plaza are all reputable companies.

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
HOWMAR said:
That is true. Go to the Plaza (shopping mall) within the Playa Dorada complex. There are at least 4 or 5 tour operators selling the Damajagua Falls tour as well as other tours. Don't be afraid to compare the prices and bargain a deal from of them. The tour operator selling from within the hotel has a monopoly and will tell you not to buy outside the hotel. The tour operators within the Plaza are all reputable companies.

We are staying in Cabarete, are there also tour operators around our area?To be able to bargain with them, what would be a good price for the tour, like what is the going rate for the tour?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
7butterflies said:
We are staying in Cabarete, are there also tour operators around our area?To be able to bargain with them, what would be a good price for the tour, like what is the going rate for the tour?
Don't know current prices. There are plenty of storefront tour sales in Cabarete. Don't be afraid to shop one against another.