Azzurro Club Friday

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
I am leaving for the DR on friday. My boyfriend and I booked with Gotraveldirect out of montreal. We chose Azzurro Club, and I was wondering, what to expect as there are lots of mixed reviews.Is Cabarete beach really so windy? What would be some unforgetable activities to do or to see that arent very expensive? Any information would be wonderful!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
7butterflies said:
We chose Azzurro Club, and I was wondering, what to expect as there are lots of mixed reviews.Is Cabarete beach really so windy? What would be some unforgetable activities to do or to see that arent very expensive? Any information would be wonderful!

I stayed at Azzurro Club in May 2005. I don't know what negative things you may have read, but I found Azzurro to be a very nice resort.

It is located right at the beginning of the main strip of shops and restaurants. The resort is very clean, safe and secure. If AIs are what you like you will enjoy yourself.

Cheap things to do,,,,,,,Walk the main strip of shops, take a publico to Sosua for the day (Sosua is about 10 minutes by car). Do not let anyone talk you into taking a moto concho to Sosua. Your rear end will be hurting and your heart will be pulsating beyond control. Sit on the beach and count the waves.

Is Cabarete windy? The wind seems to blow most times but I wouldn't call it windy, if that makes sense.

Enjoy yourself and ignore anything negative you may have heard. The person may just be jealous because they aren't in Cabarette.

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
Sounds great, thanks. We were told there is a shuttle from the hotel to Sosua everyday, I will definitely check it out then. I had read reviews saying it was so windy, it made it uncomfortable to be on the beach, and that the entire resort, including the buffet area was always convered with sand....But there are always those who exagerate.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
7butterflies said:
Sounds great, thanks. We were told there is a shuttle from the hotel to Sosua everyday, I will definitely check it out then. I had read reviews saying it was so windy, it made it uncomfortable to be on the beach, and that the entire resort, including the buffet area was always convered with sand....But there are always those who exagerate.

Great, take the shuttle to Sosua. While is Sosua be sure to take a walk along the beach to browse in the shops. Be prepared, every vendor will try to sell you something. Just say no, and keep walking. This time of year it may be a little cool to take a dip in the ocean, but you should have a couple of warm enough days to hang out on the beach. If the forecast is for cool weather then use that day to go to Sosua. Entire resort covered with sand, what a laugh. Sure you will see a little sand from people's feet.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Windy?

Cabarete is the wind-surfing and kite-boarding capital of the Caribbean, so it is indeed windy. But not all the time. From the looks of the number of people enjoying Cabarete beach, they are not getting sandblasted. But it is not a perfect Caribbean beach with silky soft sand and turquoise water--beaches do differ and for a more picture post card beach, you might try Sosua beach.

The ambience will be a little different though and there is a lot to be said for walking out of your room at Azurro onto the beach and having your own suite to go back to for the bathroom, for example. Sosua's public beach bathrooms, or washrooms for our Canadian friends, are the stuff that travel stories are made of.

Hire a taxi for the day and head for Playa Grande--on the way ask them to take you to the fruit plantation. It is a delightful, non-touristy look at all the fruits that are grown on the island. It is a way to see nature at its best and taste delicious fruit and chocolate.

Today's Valentine's Day, so if you have never seen a cacoa plant from which chocolate comes, you owe it to yourselves to do it.

You will marvel at the homemade bee hives that house all the little workers who help pollinate the fruit and then you will enjoy the honey dripped onto the fruit at the end of your tour.

It is a mini-treasure of the North Coast that somehow doesn't get enough publicity on this site.

Then go to the beach at Playa Grande--I haven't been there in a few years, though, and I vaguely remember that there has been some erosion, but it is a beautiful beach. Or at least was. Ask around first.

Enjoy Cabarete--a little wind is a small price to pay.

And don't forget to buy a pineapple on the beach from the Haitian lady. She will slice it up for you and serve it in a plastic bag--the single best snack you can buy.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Free Drink

Make sure you stop by Margarita's in Casita # 39 on Sosua Beach for a free drink. Just mention Edd from DR1 sent you!

7butterflies

Feb 6, 2006
I will definitely try to head to Playa Grande beach, I have been hearing great things about it...free drink eh? It's definitely worth a try! The fruit plantation sounds geat.I can't wait to experience all these things, this site is so helpful.Really great ideas from everyone. I dont think a little sand will be too much of a bother!!