Any good inexpensive hotels in Santo Domingo

Malfo

Feb 13, 2006
Hello,

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I'd like to fly out next week to Santo Domingo but I didn't want to stay at a resort. I'd like a small, clean, hotel that wasn't too expensive.

Can anyone recommend any good places?

Nothing seedy please it's not that type of trip.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Specify what is expensive for some better advice. To some it is over $30 to others over $100. Do you want Santo Domingo itself? Boca Chica is closer to the airport and has dozens of good hotels in the $40 range.

Malfo

Feb 13, 2006
I was looking for something between 30 and 45 per night. It doesn't have to be in Santo Domingo itself but close to it since i'll be spending a lot of time there.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Malfo said:
I was looking for something between 30 and 45 per night. It doesn't have to be in Santo Domingo itself but close to it since i'll be spending a lot of time there.

If you have a AAA membership card, then bring it with you. Several hotels such as the Napolitano Hotel (in Santo Domingo) will give you a 15% discount.

Or if you show your Business Card, you will get a corporate discount.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Hotel Duque de Wellington
Av Independencia 304
Santo Domingo
(809) 682-4525

RD$ 1400 (aprox 41 USD) 1 pax
RD$ 1800 (aprox 53 USD) 2 pax

Corporate rates available.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Try a pension

I stayed last night in a great room very clean with tv, air conditioning and private bath not sure about hot water though.
Pension Quisqueyana on the corner of Cayetano Rodriguez and Juan Sanchez Ramirez. It is a regular stop for Peace Corps folks when they stay in the Capitol
Phone 809-687-6037
$700 pesos or $20 US
Can?t beat it with a stick
Gerry

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
What do you mean you are not sure about hot water? You took a shower last night or this morning, didn't you?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
The Esmeralda in Gazcue near the Gomez is cheap, one of the cheapest that still manages not to be seedy. I didnt know the Wellington was so cheap. Most of the cheaper hotels still have a base price of about 75 bucks. If you are going to be in the capital alot it may be best to stay in the city, as the ride to and from boca chica is about a half hour by guagua and then you have to negotiate the local streets to get from the station to the center of town. If your trips are less frequent, then Boca Chica is a nice option; otherwise, the Esmeralda or Wellington or as ggparts just mentioned the Pension Quisqueyana, which is a decent place for an excellent price, an dlocated in a nice part of town (there is no sign on the place so it may be a bit hard to find at first). That may in fact be your best option.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
here is the dope onthe Esmeralda:

Guesthouse Esmeralda, 151 Elivira de Mendoza (off Sanchez de Ramirez)
Prices vary according to length of stay. One person I know is paying 6,000 every two weeks for a little two room with kitchenette and fan.
AC units cost more.

CrazyGurl

Apr 17, 2006
Reasonable hotel

I just returned from Santo Domingo and stayed at a place called "Maison Gautreaux." Let me tell you, I thought it was wonderful. We paid $47 US per night which included taxes. Both me and my girlfriend stayed in the room so the cost per person was cut in half.

The hotel is near the Malecon, great location. It is possible to walk to El Conde, or down the the stip of hotels such as the Jaragua, Melia and the next one. (can't remember the name...sorry) Lots of places to eat around there, great security at the hotel, rooms clean, service was wonderful. There is no restaurant in the hotel / guesthouse, but as I said, lots of places to walk to very close by. The hotel does have beer and water available at the front desk. It is definately a place to try if you are on a budget.

They have a website if you are interested... www.maisongautreaux.net

Would be happy to answer questions if you have any regarding this place.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I stayed at the Delta Hotel during my recent trip to Santo Domingo.

The online reservation does not work. So it is best if you call them. If you make a reservation, you get a 15% discount.

I stayed at a standard junior room which is $59 per night.

This place also has free internet and it is open 24/7.

http://www.hoteldelta.com.do/

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Aparthotel Condo-Parque $35/night

This is a small comfortable hotel with a restaurant/bar one block from the Conde and Parque Independencia. I stayed there for one night and I have booked it for a week in June. They also have a "Penthouse" but I don't know the rate or what it is like. They say it includes a terrace with a view of the city and the sea. I will post a review when (if) I return. Aparthotel Condo-Parque & Venus Bar
Calle Palo Hincado #165
Zona Colonial
Santo Domingo
Tel: +1 809 - 333 67 13
eMail: condo_parque@yahoo.com
Inhaber: Walter Rufenacht

Last edited:

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
I never stayed at the hotel delta..or even heard of it before now..but i did visit the web site link..seems prices are average and you can stay on the Malecon for about the same price. The area they are in is nice but not "touristy" if thats a concern for you.

I did got to the map link..after reading that they advertised they were 10 mins. from the colonial zone. They aparently assume that all guests will be arriving and traveling by helicopter or will somehow be transported without using the streets.

Take this into consideration when evaluating the other information on their website..or speak with someone who has personal experience.

Rich

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Boca Chica

Someone earlier posted that staying in Boca Chica is closer to the airport and that there are a lot of good places to stay that are inexpensive. How far is it to get from the airport (I am assuming we are speaking of Las Americas?) to Boca Chica? How expensive for taxi? Also, can anyone recommend good places to stay there?
Thanks-
Ambre

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Is anyone familiar wiht Hotel Caribe?o? I've read they charge about US$35.00 for a room and they have a pool. Don't know how safe the area is at night. I know it's located on the intersection of two major avenues. 27 de Febrero and forgot the name of the other one.

renderale

May 8, 2006
I've been in caribeno six years ago...not a good experience.
The zone in the dark is dangerous (with an armed guard outside the hotel), people that offers really cheap dollars (!!), the hotel was OK for the price: heavy moquette in rooms, little pool ...all these things 6 years ago, I don't know now.