power solutions wanted

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
i need a more cost effective solution to power my home and pool!

my situation;
my current power option available to me is to have a;
public electricity meter ....cost per mth????? $50+ at a guess (when this cuts out the association electricity supply will kick in...cost per mth $150
total electricity costs $200 plus a mth

i intend to have 1* airconditioner / fridge/tv ect as far as electrical goods go and 1*pool pump to run 6-8 hrs daily.

My problem;
public electricity is unreliable as you know, and as such i choose not to rely entirely upon the public service to power my pool pump (for pool sanitation reasons).

questions;
can someone tell me is it possible to obtain a heavy duty power generator that runs on propane and or natural gas(ive seen some on the web in the $3-4000 range) to;

a/power my pool pump 8 hrs daily AND be cost effective ( i.e cost me up to $100 per mth to run). Basically does anyone know what it may cost in propane/natural gas to run a generator to do this job ????????????

b/ to be more specific is anyone using a generator to power similiar electrical items to mine (pool/aircon ect) and using a generator to do it????????whats it cost you to do this per month???????

As ive got to get away from this $200 a mth electricity bill?
Any thoughts solutions to solve my dilemma are welcome

thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Welcome To The DR and It's "Phucked Up" power system!

Didn't you check on how much it would cost you to run your pool BEFORE you bought the property???
Short Answer,there is no "legal" way(Solar/Wind/Invertor/or even your "Gas" powered generator,that I see costing you less than 300 US plus per month!)

Just one of the "Benefits" of living in the "Third World"

Those of us who have lived here for 10 years,or more,will tell you that the electric grid will most likely never improve.

I how seen the same problems over 20 years here!

Find a good Dominican electrical engineer who can steal you some power off the grid!!!!!!!!!:bandit: :bandit: :bandit:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jan 5, 2006
There are generators that run on propane. I have a 12kw Kohler that runs on propane and should be enough to power the things that you mention. We run a refrigerator and 4 air conditioners with no problem, but honestly, we don't use it that much, as the power from the electric company and the inverter are normally enough. If I had to estimate your costs to use it 6 to 8 hours per day, I think that you would be looking at $300-$350 USD per month.

You can find technical info, including fuel consumption on my particular generator at www.kohlerpowersystems.com

I got a price for it at Ferreteria Americana in Santo Domingo, and it was more cost effective to buy it in the US and pay $600 to have it shipped to my home.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mrmagic said:
As ive got to get away from this $200 a mth electricity bill?
Any thoughts solutions to solve my dilemma are welcome

thanks

How do you expect to run a pool pump, air conditioner, etc. for less than $200/month when you can't do it in the US for that price even with a much lower cost for electric?

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Chris Colon: I've got 26 years here and can report that 1980 to 1985 we had both water and electricity 24/7 (well, almost) in Puerto Plata!

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
HOWMAR said:
How do you expect to run a pool pump, air conditioner, etc. for less than $200/month when you can't do it in the US for that price even with a much lower cost for electric?

im not american so how the f@#k would i know that????????????

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mrmagic said:
im not american so how the f@#k would i know that????????????
Well then, you can't do it for $200 no matter what country you are the f@#k from, so why do you expect to do it here? Besides, you were quoting in US$.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mrmagic, I do not think you'll get away from that kind of electricity bill, no matter how you cut slice and dice the power consumption, while you want to power all of those appliances. Yes, people run all of those appliances on generators. There is a cost though. You could experiment with running the pool pump for fewer hours per day - and find the 'magic spot' where the pool is clean and hygenic but does not take 8 hours per day to filter. Perhaps something like 2 hours a day for 4 days and 8 hours a day for the rest. But you'll have to experiment.

Also, perhaps run airconditioning only when you require it - most of us get along with fans quite well. To run more economically, you're going to have to reduce consumption. Generally we all know that if we have no power and we depend on our generators and invertors, it is more costly than using street power.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Get Along" Is The Key Phrase Here!

If you want to "Get Along",you don't need a "Planta",or an "Inversor"! You can sweat when there is no power available!

I want my "Air",24/7! I want a hot shower when I want a hot shower!!

"Puerto Plata" used to have a fairly good power grid!
And I used to be young, and fairly handsome!!(To my Mother at least!) The last 10 yeras have been the worst for "POWER",but things have never been cheap and/or dependable! Both of which are part of the equation for a successful economy!!

My father used to say that a swimming pool is nothing more than a big hole in the ground where you throw all you money!And that was in the USA 50 years ago!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC