DR high-school student to study in US

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Was wondering before i got deep into research, if anyone has ever done, or heard of a RD high-school age student, coming to US to finish one or two years of highschool? I'm talking about on his own with help from family, not thru a ROTC club or such. With what research i've done, i know it can be done, but i was wondering if anyone here had ever done it, or know of someone who has? This student has a visa to travel here, but not one to study. He is my brother-in-law, and is very intelligent, but does not attend a school in the DR like Abraham Lincoln. I know that he would need a sponser, me and my husband, and we would have to prove we are able to take care of him financially. Thats not a problem. Can anyone tell me say, how long this process takes? Am i starting at a good time, say, if i wanted him to come attend school this coming year? Is this type of situation granted often? Any info and past experiences or knowledge would be great. I plan on making more phone calls, and reading more of the CIS website...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This should not be a problem if this young man is of normal high school age and is currently a student at a good school here in the DR. My daughter in law's sister is currently attending a fine school up in Connecticutt. It happens all the time.
Get the letters of acceptance all together and have the guy go over to the Consulate (he will have to get his appointment via the Banco Popular.), And they will issue him a student visa.

If this is on the up and up, I see not major hassles.

HB :D:D:D

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Hillbilly said:
This should not be a problem if this young man is of normal high school age and is currently a student at a good school here in the DR. My daughter in law's sister is currently attending a fine school up in Connecticutt. It happens all the time.
Get the letters of acceptance all together and have the guy go over to the Consulate (he will have to get his appointment via the Banco Popular.), And they will issue him a student visa.

If this is on the up and up, I see not major hassles.

Thanks for the reply Hillbilly...you say "of normal age" and i know that he is behind one year, meaning he turns 17 next month, but still has two more years to go if he were to stay in DR. He told me he was at one time held back, it must have been when he was younger, but my understanding is that it had alot to do with the school he was going to, for whatever reason. So, do you know if they will want to see his grades , like a transcript if they even have them, before they accept him? Or would they give a student visa just based on how much money we have or he has?

You also said letters of acceptance, does he need one from the school here in US and one from there in DR? More than one? From principals and teachers?

And finally, is now a good time to be doing this, or should i wait until later in the year? earlier the better?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
audboogie said:
And finally, is now a good time to be doing this, or should i wait until later in the year? earlier the better?
Not knowing anything about the process, it's seems intuitive that earlier is better.

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of doing something similar. Does your brother-in-law speak English?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
rellosk said:
Not knowing anything about the process, it's seems intuitive that earlier is better.

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of doing something similar. Does your brother-in-law speak English?

He has come over to states twice, spending two months at a time, and obviously learns so much when hes here...hes taking the english in school over there, and he goes to an instituto to study english. All this combined, no i would not say he speaks english, but like i said, he's a very smart boy, its just that the education hes been provided with so far has not maxed out his potential. This is why i suggested bringing him over here for the last two years of his schooling, i know he would pick up the languange real quick, and with with me being a teacher he would go to school here, and have me as a tutor. It would be very beneficial for him to come here. He is also an excellent baseball player (he's 17, 6+ feet, and throws high 80's) and im not quite sure if maybe staying in DR to get signed is a better idea than coming over here and going to school and playing here. Anyways, Rellosk, have you done any research and if so what have you found? Is it a highschool student or college? I'll post what i find as i go. I know that you need to call the H.S that theh student would attend and find out if it accepts foreign national students. Im waiting on the principal to call me back. They told me that most of the foreign exchange students they recieve come thru programs like ROTC where the organization does all the paperwork....In my case he wouldn't be going thru a program, it would be me and my husband doing all the work.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The school in the States will have to see his transcripts.
The Consulate will have to have a letter of acceptance from the school he is going to attend. You will probably have to send an affidavit atesting to your capacity to support the young man while he studies.
Do whatever the site tells you to.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Hillbilly said:
The school in the States will have to see his transcripts.
The Consulate will have to have a letter of acceptance from the school he is going to attend. You will probably have to send an affidavit atesting to your capacity to support the young man while he studies.
Do whatever the site tells you to.

So schools in the DR do have transcripts? Im doing my best following website but its not always easy....lots of different forms, and you might have to fill these forms, and unspecific specifications such as being able to show support...does that mean you need to have a certain amount of money in the bank? What exact papers do you need to prove you can support him/her? The last thing i want is to pay money for the appointment and be turned down bc i didn't bring enough evidence, or didn't have all the forms. I was hoping someone had maybe done this before and could write the steps...Hopefully i will be able to do write the process here in the future.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
audboogie said:
He is also an excellent baseball player (he's 17, 6+ feet, and throws high 80's) and im not quite sure if maybe staying in DR to get signed is a better idea than coming over here and going to school and playing here.
You may want to send PM Miguel. I seem to recall he had some family or friends that were drafted by MLB.
audboogie said:
Anyways, Rellosk, have you done any research and if so what have you found?
At this point I haven't done any research.