Work in Puerto Plata

tori

Feb 15, 2006
I am looking for work in Puerto Plata. I am moving there on a short term basis in March (SUNCAMP) with my brother. Is it hard to find employment in Puerto Plata?

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
tori said:
I am looking for work in Puerto Plata. I am moving there on a short term basis in March (SUNCAMP) with my brother. Is it hard to find employment in Puerto Plata?

Just a few questions:

How long will you be in the area?

What are your skills/languages?

Are you aware that most salaries here are next to nothing?

Have you done some research on where you'll be staying?

Sorry for that last question but someone should probably ask. Maybe try doing a search on Suncamp, Dianne Pellerin and Tropical House (I think that was the old name).

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Sunnie, I think your questions are very valid.
We may add to this that very, very few hire of short term.
Basically because it is not worth to give the short term visitors the training and time. There is no lack of finding people to work here...

What is your age, and what are you looking to work with?

If you give more information, I am sure more people can advice you and put you in the right direction.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
tori said:
Just so that you are aware about your living accomodations. You going to be living in an isolated area with no public transportation available after 7 PM. If you want to go out in the evening you will have to arrange for private transportation which can be costly as many taxis and motoconchos refuse to go to Munoz.
Secondly, bring plenty of OFF with DEET. When it is damp the mosquitos are terrible as Suncamp is adjacent to the river.
Don't rely on Dianne's promise of getting you employment. She will introduce you to people who can put you to work in a commission sales position, but few are successful, especially as you are coming at the end of high season and most employers are looking to reduce staff.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Suncamp

I too was seduced by the promises of Suncamp but after the advice i got from this board - i decided against it. So glad i did. I did some research and will now be renting either behind coca cola factory or in town. Places safer for a single white female. !!!

Listen to the guys on here that know. Munoz is not a safe place for vistors - in fact i know some Dominicans that wont enter after dark alone. Im not slagging off Diane as i dont know her and have never met her but i really dont think this place is as suitable as the website would have you believe.

Good luck for the future.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Just so that you are aware about your living accomodations. You going to be living in an isolated area with no public transportation available after 7 PM. If you want to go out in the evening you will have to arrange for private transportation which can be costly as many taxis and motoconchos refuse to go to Munoz.
Secondly, bring plenty of OFF with DEET. When it is damp the mosquitos are terrible as Suncamp is adjacent to the river.
Don't rely on Dianne's promise of getting you employment. She will introduce you to people who can put you to work in a commission sales position, but few are successful, especially as you are coming at the end of high season and most employers are looking to reduce staff.

Also, if your choice is the countryside, then keep in mind that for instance in heavy rains that we have had the last week, the river rises, and mudroads gets impossible to travel on. You can not leave then, and will be stuck where you are.

The countryside is extremely peaceful, if you are aware of what the Dominican countryside is.
It means no flushing of toilet paper, burning garbage, far away from grocery stores, night life, restaurants etc.
Many people love to live in the country side, and if you know what it holds here, for good and bad, then fine.
If not, then think carefully what your priorities are before you make a desicion of where to live.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
crazydaisy said:
I did some research and will now be renting either behind coca cola factory or in town. Places safer for a single white female. !!!

There are many good places in Puerto Plata, you mention just 2 of them.
Closer to town, than Marapica Area ( behind Coca Cola ) is Bayardo ( many nice apartments ), Atlantico area, behind Brugal towards the ocean, the Sanchez Luperon area, Torre Alta has nice studios as well as apartments close to the mainroad etc etc.

The best advice, is to rent a hotel for a few nights, and look around for anyone.
It?s not that wise to rent without having seen an apartment, if it is not for vacation.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Thanks Carina. I have someone checking out apartments at moment and i will be staying in a hotel for 2 weeks when i arrive to get things sorted properly. I will view the apartments already seen by partner then choose. Last thing i want or need is to rush into something i may regret for a long time!! LOL. I want to rent for 6 months then maybe move to another apartment if i need to.

I stayed with Planner for 2 weeks in Jan so i kinda know whats available round that way. I would feel very safe in that area.

Off topic i know but lovin your photo blog x

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
crazydaisy said:
Thanks Carina. I have someone checking out apartments at moment and i will be staying in a hotel for 2 weeks when i arrive to get things sorted properly. I will view the apartments already seen by partner then choose. Last thing i want or need is to rush into something i may regret for a long time!! LOL. I want to rent for 6 months then maybe move to another apartment if i need to.

I stayed with Planner for 2 weeks in Jan so i kinda know whats available round that way. I would feel very safe in that area.

Off topic i know but lovin your photo blog x

Your situation is a little different, as you?re moving here.
For residencial apartments you don?t rent for 6 months etc.
Most usual it is a 1 year contract, and you pay a rent in advance and 1-2 deposits.
If you move earlier, it is anyhow usually just to tell, enough in time to live up the desposits.
If furnished then it is usually possible to rent for shorter periods, but these are not residencial apts, so prices will be higher.

It is a good area you stayed in, but you need a car to live there on everyday basis ( or tranportation ).
As for the electricity, it is not a big deal that they are connected to the Playa Dorada electricity, as the rents there are 5-7000 higher.
Considering a small invertor is around 20.000 an up, it is money easy earned.
Also all parts of that area are not developed enough for phone, internet etc, so that is another thing to consider, if it is important to you.