Help with driving tips?

nonrev1

Nov 25, 2005
Hi,

I'll be arriving in Santo Domingo tomorrow evening about 4pm (2/16) and driving to Sosua against all the advice in the forum. I'll spare you all the details but it just works out best for us.

I have a good large map and plan to take the main highway and go via Puerto Plata. I've also copied and printed several directions from this forum.

I was wondering if you could give any helpful hints for the drive? Can you describe the signs I'll need to look for? Are there any significant road problems, detours, or construction that I need to be aware of? Is there any particular type of traveler that it might be good to follow once I have determined they are headed in the same direction I am? Are there any particular vehicles or anything else that I should avoid?

TIA

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
As long as you are on the Autopista Duarte, en route to Santiago, you shouldnt have trouble with directions. It is a modern highway, and there are signs along the way for major destinations. there are several eateries located on the highway where you can stop and rest too. I recommend El Tipico de Bonao--a very nice place. At Santiago you may hit a snag, you have to go through town, and there may still be construction going on there (but it has been a while since I travelled this route, other members here can give you more up to date info), but essentially the route is pretty clear by Dominican standards.

I dont know why everyone urged you not to do this; personally, I think it is a nice trip and the Cibao valley is really beautiful, particularly once you get past Villa Altagracia. I love the stretch around La Vega. The Coastal highway as well is very beautiful in spots.

While on the road, remember that Dominicans do not generally obey the normal rules -- right of way is unheard of. It is might makes right here. Plus they have a tendency to wander around on the highway and dont respect the lanes or "carriles". You will find slow cars in the fast lane, and fast cars (along with the conchos or public taxis, motorbikes, and animals) in the slow lane. YOu will see people crossing the highways and drivers entering and exiting the highway at makeshift access points -- there are not too many ramps and such things. So bear in mind that traffic is a bit like the traffic in New York, with people cutting in and out and all over. Keep alert. Also there is a very bad tendency to tailgate at full speed down here. If you restrict your travelling to hours in which you can avoid the major traffic jams and volume of traffic, you should have a very pleasant journey. Your main problem will be getting out of the city. YOu travel along the Kennedy avenue and once you get to Kilometer 9, I believe, you hit alot of traffic, the bus stop is there where many people are coming and going. There is now an elevated stretch there that allows you to bypass the local road trafffic, so that helps, but in general exiting the city is the slow part of the journey. It is a fairly long drive, but not too long, and not taxing at all if you take your time and enjoy the ride, make a stop or two to eat and so on. Enjoy

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
Since you will be arriving at 4:00pm, I would recommend that you overnight in Santo Domingo and set out for the north coast very early the next day.

Doing the trip for the first time at night, is not something I would attempt.

Willie

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I agree. If cautious, the trip during daylight hours can be done without too much risk. After dark, all bets are off. Not only will you have to navigate without the aid of good signage, you may have no street lights due to power interuptions and commonly are blinded by the use of high beams by drivers coming towards you and from behind. Add to that the fact that we have had heavy rains daily for the past week. If you were to run off the road or have an accident there is no AAA in the DR. Who would you contact for help late at night? Please stay overnight in SD before attempting this trip. Most of us that live here wouldn't make this trip at night.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've always loved a challenging drive, through snowstorms, mudslides, you name it, but I have to admit that you are putting yourself at high risk, doing that trip at night, without previous experience.
May I suggest an alternative?
If I were in your shoes, I would get the rent-a-car, drive to Boca Chica, as it is only 10 minutes in the wrong direction, where you will easily find inexpensive accommodations, then leave really early in the morning, like 4:30 to 5 AM, for example, get through Santo Domingo like a breeze, before any traffic starts, then benefit from daylight to find your way up to your destination.

Jan 5, 2006
Like others have said, the drive is not terrible, but the time of day is. You do not want to get lost or be stranded on a stretch of dark road. In addition, the drive will be a lot more enjoyable, as you'll get to take in all the scenery en route.

One place to be on the lookout, especially at night, is a stretch between La Vega and Santiago. They are putting up toll booths and there is a slight detour and concrete barriers as you approach. In true Dominican style, there are no warning signs or lighting, and quite a few people have run into those concrete barriers.

nonrev1

Nov 25, 2005
Thanks to all. Rocky, I think I will take your suggestion and drive to Boca Chica. I had thought of that but was afraid it would rob me a whole day of my vacation but if I take off that early, I should be in Sosua by 9 or 10am, right? Plus we can relax and have a beer or two in Boca Chica. I've read the night life there is pretty interesting.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a clean economical place I can get in Boca Chica with NO notice??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
nonrev1 said:
Thanks to all. Rocky, I think I will take your suggestion and drive to Boca Chica. I had thought of that but was afraid it would rob me a whole day of my vacation but if I take off that early, I should be in Sosua by 9 or 10am, right? Plus we can relax and have a beer or two in Boca Chica. I've read the night life there is pretty interesting.
Glad to hear that you are going to play it safe.
You will easily be in Sosua by that hour, even if you take it easy.
nonrev1 said:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a clean economical place I can get in Boca Chica with NO notice??
I'll leave this to the Boca Chica experts.
You might also do a search, and if you don't get any satisfactory results, you could start another thread asking for good inexpensive Boca Chica hotels.

nonrev1 said:
Hi,

I'll be arriving in Santo Domingo tomorrow evening about 4pm (2/16) and driving to Sosua against all the advice in the forum. I'll spare you all the details but it just works out best for us.

I have a good large map and plan to take the main highway and go via Puerto Plata. I've also copied and printed several directions from this forum.

I was wondering if you could give any helpful hints for the drive? Can you describe the signs I'll need to look for? Are there any significant road problems, detours, or construction that I need to be aware of? Is there any particular type of traveler that it might be good to follow once I have determined they are headed in the same direction I am? Are there any particular vehicles or anything else that I should avoid?

TIA

I will be arriving in Sosua on the 16th and will have a cold beer waiting for you guys if you make it ;). Take your time and you should be ok.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
"I dont know why everyone urged you not to do this."

WHY?

1. Because it will be getting dark and that is when CRAZY DOMINICAN DRIVING AND ROAD OBSTACLES goes from Just Plain Crazy to WACKIER THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE, until you have seen it in person.

2. Probably because the driver may not speak Spanish. Might look like a tourist, and get taken for one.

Let me tell you two things:

1. Good luck, God bless and don't you dare go without reading all related archives. Also read up on the thread that goes something like,"What is the weirdest thing you've seen on/in/crossing the road....."

Read every related thread here and THEN expect my blessing.

It is like traveling the Darian Gap in Panama. Preparation, preparation, and then more preparation.

2. Myself, my first time doing that trip was similar. But I had a Dominican Driver, a professional chofer for a famous Dominican music group. And he got me there in one piece, after we drove around washed out bridges, missed a chicken and two horses in the road, and made a quick left turn to miss one of those "burning tires in the middle of the road village demonstrations" - complete with angry, drunk, and chanting relatives of some poor boy who had been struck down and killed by a tourist the day prior.

I speak fluent Spanish, blend in, and have driven in Italy and in many European and Mexican crazy highways and roads, as well as in dowtown Moscow with no traffic signs.

The RD is in a class by itself when it comes to driving.

You should hire a taxi for $150-$200 and enjoy the scenery with no worries. Sosua members can refer you to an honest guy.

Or I can give you my guys contact info, if he is not driving the band bus in the RD.

-- Sam, calming down from my hypertensive vent!

P.D. I just read the good news that the OP will stay overnight in BC - BRAVO! Enjoy. You are wise!