cell phone rental?

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
Wife and I will be traveling to DR in April, she'll want to be calling within DR a LOT while we're there,(she has family there) Whats the most efficient/economical way to do this? And where? We're gonna be in Santo Domingo 1st. Do I understand correctly, that In DR outgoing calls don't cost the cell user, they charge the recepient? I mean she'll want to be on phone for hours, (we'll be going to Punta Cana, her family lives in and around Santo Domingo.) Also where is a good place to change money in SD?
Thanks

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The caller pays, not the recipient. Bring a CDMA phone from the US, go to Verizon Dominicana office, get a Dominican number for free. Just buy prepaid phone cards..... or BUY a cheapo phone down there. Renting a phone is not economical.

The VZ office is located @ 30 de Marzo in Santo Domingo 2 minutes from el Conde.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
You've got it backwards, it's incoming (not outgoing) calls that don't cost the cell phone user.

Unless they've simplified the process, renting phones in the DR can be a pain. I used to rent phones at the tricomm call center in the airport. I believe that center is now closed. You may be able to rent one at the Verizon call center at the airport.

Assuming you're staying for a couple of weeks, your best bet is just to buy a cheap phone. It may be cheaper than renting a phone.

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
cell phone

What does "CDMA phone " mean? I have verizon, here in NJ. Can I use this phone? or is that the type you need the little data card in the phone? My newphew has a spare phone from cingular, I'm sure I can get a cheap phone on Ebay, I'm just not sure what the CDMA means. How does the prepaid phone cards work, like the phone cards here, you dial the phone card number, enter pin, dial number you want, or does the phonecard just put usable minutes on the phone? Can any of this be arranged online in advance?
Thanks again!!

Tamborista said:
The caller pays, not the recipient. Bring a CDMA phone from the US, go to Verizon Dominicana office, get a Dominican number for free. Just buy prepaid phone cards..... or BUY a cheapo phone down there. Renting a phone is not economical.

The VZ office is located @ 30 de Marzo in Santo Domingo 2 minutes from el Conde.

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
And just how affordable (per minute) is this? She'll be on for hours a day, Am I better off getting some kind of plan? or just buy her a limited amount of phone cards to use from a landline?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just bring your US Verizon phone to The Verizon Store. Most VZ compatible phones will permit you to have 2 numbers on the phone. You buy a little plastic calling card with "calling time" on it and input the code into the phone.
You are thinking of a "SIM" card, used in a GSM phone, such as SPRINT, which does not apply to your CDMA phone.

CDMA = Code division multiple access
GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It would be cheaper to get a hotel 5 minutes from her mother, than buying phone cards!

Perhaps you can get a deal from Verizon to have her cord?n umbilical cut while you are getting the phone activated!

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:
You've got it backwards, it's incoming (not outgoing) calls that don't cost the cell phone user.

The recipient is receiving the calls, Eddie. She said those were free. Ipso facto, QED.

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
stuck

1; "cheaper to keep her"
2; the more she talks to her relatives, the more peace and quiet I get, and the less I have to talk to her.

Thanks a lot by the way, I guess I'll do what you suggest with our phones, and buy her a set amount, and let her have at it. I guess I could also give my people here my number and they could buy U.S. phone cards to call the DR number?

Tamborista said:
It would be cheaper to get a hotel 5 minutes from her mother, than buying phone cards!

Perhaps you can get a deal from Verizon to have her Umblico cut while you are getting the phone activated!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For $25

JERSEY DAVE said:
Wife and I will be traveling to DR in April, she'll want to be calling within DR a LOT while we're there,(she has family there) Whats the most efficient/economical way to do this? And where? We're gonna be in Santo Domingo 1st. Do I understand correctly, that In DR outgoing calls don't cost the cell user, they charge the recepient? I mean she'll want to be on phone for hours, (we'll be going to Punta Cana, her family lives in and around Santo Domingo.) Also where is a good place to change money in SD?
Thanks

you can get a phone and activation at La Tienda Calle Barahona139 (2 blocks from Plaza Lama) and then load it with minutes.
If you need more help PM me.

JOHN

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
To Unluck a GSM phone is more expensive than Charge PRL and Code into your second nam. in your VZ phone, and get ready for the next time you came, you will only have to activate a new pre - paid number.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
If your cel. uses a SIM card, go to any ORANGE store and find out if it works with their SIMs. (The guy at the store just popped out his SIM and placed it in my phone). If it works, it only cost me about US$12-15 to buy a pre-paid SIM with a local number on it. Cards run from 60 pesos to 300 pesos (I'm not sure if I've 500 pesos). It's like 8 pesos per minute to talk. Some of these cards have bonus amounts (pesos) in them. Incoming calls do not count on YOUR mins. I use it to call Puerto Rico when I'm over there because roming charges are MURDER !!

E.

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
sim card

Neither is free, but incoming calls are charged to the caller, not you. (I beleive this is how it works) But any calls you make, count against your cards balance, somewhere in this thread, I think, the cost per local minute should be listed. And yes as long as you do it within the time frame, you just buy another orange card, and enter the number into the phone to recharge minutes.

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
Is this it?

Also, does France Telecom = Orange?

They're usually convinently located, I don't know the adress('s), but one was a 10 minute walk from the Hilton I was staying at. Just ask anybody, or ask a cabbie. BTW you will need your passport when you 1st go to get your sim card.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Tri-Fecta!!!

This post is VERY old!! The wife I was originally talking about has since been divorced, and has been in jail since Oct of 06, (drug, alcohol, arson related)

Your wife is in the slammer? - for Drugs, Booze and the occasional Molitoff Cocktail? - I feel so bad for you.

Thank goodness that she does not have a cell phone in the KLINK - Your bill would be throught the roof!

:surprised

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
Your wife is in the slammer? - for Drugs, Booze and the occasional Molitoff Cocktail? - I feel so bad for you.

Thank goodness that she does not have a cell phone in the KLINK - Your bill would be throught the roof!

:surprised

"The wife I was originally talking about has since been divorced"

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
If your cel. uses a SIM card, go to any ORANGE store and find out if it works with their SIMs. (The guy at the store just popped out his SIM and placed it in my phone). If it works, it only cost me about US$12-15 to buy a pre-paid SIM with a local number on it. Cards run from 60 pesos to 300 pesos (I'm not sure if I've 500 pesos). It's like 8 pesos per minute to talk. Some of these cards have bonus amounts (pesos) in them. Incoming calls do not count on YOUR mins. I use it to call Puerto Rico when I'm over there because roming charges are MURDER !!

E.

Make sure you have an "unlocked" cell phone. (ebay?) it won't work with a locked phone, tho I understand there are places that will unlock a phone for a fee?