How Much Do You Love Your Car?- Not Much If You Leave It In The DR!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I will start with the "bottom line":

IF YOU ARE A DOMINICAN OR A FOREIGNER WHO OWNS A CAR IN THE DR AND LEAVE THE CAR BEHIND WHILE YOU GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY, DO NOT LEAVE THE KEYS WITH A "RELATIVE" OR A "FRIEND" SO THEY CAN WARM-IT UP!.

A few houses from where I have my house in SD, lives a very nice American man. He is married to a Dominicana from Los Mameyes. They live 6 months in the DR and 6 in the US. A few years ago he bought a brand new Volvo to use when they are in the DR. We are not friends but if we see each other while I am on vacation, we talk. He mentioned, a few years ago, that he was going to leave the car's keys to his wife's brother so he can warm it up. I mentioned that there have been horror stories about people leaving their cars behind for someone to warm it up only to find out that they have done much more than just warm the car up. He said that he knew Dominicans (I love it when they say that) and that his brother-in-law was a very nice guy that would not kill a fly and that he was told not to drive it anywhere. Well, since he "knew Dominicans", I kept my advices to myself.

In time, he noticed that every time he traveled to the DR, the car had more miles on it. The "nice guy" would use all kind of excuses, from "it needs to be driven for a little bit" to "one needs to take it to the mechanic also".

Well, now the car is giving him all kind of problems. Now he is finding out that his car was not only being 'warmed-up" but it was also driven to Higuey and all parts of the country. The engine is all messed-up and the "nice guy" do not want to take responsabilities for his actions. His excuse, now, is "nobody told you to leave the keys with me". What a prick. To make matters worse, his wife, who also lives with him in the DR and in the US, knew about some of the trips but "forgot" to tell her husband because she was "afraid" of his reaction.

This is a known problem. So if you leave your car to be warmed-up in the DR, may God have mercy on your car and on your pockets!!.

Am I too late with the warning?.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We leave the keys to our vehicle with the cerrano....

along with an extra tank of fuel and a bottle of distilled water for the battery.

He can start the car and let it run for 10 min. once a week and keep the battery cells topped up so they don't dry out and cause the battery to die!

Everyone we tell this to has fits until they learn we also put the vehicle up on blocks, remove the tires and lock them in our apartment and use a 'club' on the steering wheel.

So our vehicle stays in shape, with a charged battery and circulating oil but no-one can 'drive' it anywhere!!:cheeky: :ninja: :bunny:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
my land lord left the keys to his previa wagon with a trusted friend, along with keys to his house. the landlord lives in NY. the trusted friend filled up his previa wagon with chopo family every weekend and took them to sosua and puerto plata regularly. Then one day he had a flat tire near by the house so he decided to drive the van with the flat to the house. needless to say the tire got all destroyed and shredded in to pieces. I also told the owner the friend used his house and his jacuzzi regulary with women.
the landlord learned his lesson the hard way.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Hipocrito Mejia said:
Well, I was always told that there are 2 things that are for a man's exclusive use; his car and his woman. :)
I learned, from an early age, that NOBODY will take care of your things as well as YOURSELF!.

In my case, my CD's, my Digital Cams, my DVD movies, my car, my g/f, my Ipod, my computer, my DVD/VCR player, my DVD recorder, my Mini-Disk player, my CD burner... are off-limits, and not in that order, lol!!!. I guess that anything "electrical" is off-limits!.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
miguel said:
I learned, from an early age, that NOBODY will take care of your things as well as YOURSELF!.

In my case, my CD's, my Digital Cams, my DVD movies, my car, my g/f, my Ipod, my computer, my DVD/VCR player, my DVD recorder, my Mini-Disk player, my CD burner... are off-limits, and not in that order, lol!!!. I guess that anything "electrical" is off-limits!.

i did not know your g/f was "electrical"....... :cheeky:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:

This is right on the mark.

Although, the off-limits apply to all things, no just electronics.

This is part of human nature, we take better care of the things we worked to get.

It's like the old saying: Easy money comes, easy it goes; but hard earned money grows.

The point? Anything not worked for will be undervalued by the "owner" or "borrower" and thus treat the material thing as an undervalued thing. However, things that are earned are overvalued. Those earned things are treated as overvalued material.

The result? Undervalued materials are treated as inferior items, thus the problem with others taking care of YOUR stuff. Overvalued materials are treated better than necessary, and thus your stuff remains in its most optimal shape and condition under YOUR care.

-NALs

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nooooo!

k1w1 said:
vibrator !!! (fits)
No, not that kind of imagination!.

Use your imagination as in: "why "she" does not smile?. Never mind, just kidding!.

Now, please, back to the topic!.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Had A friend Who Left His "King-Cab" Pickup with a "FRIEND"!!!

Came back to find it "trashed"! He next left it at another "Friend's" house.Supposedly "Chained", so it could not be driven,only "started" once a week.(Sound familiar?) The friends kids,and their friends used the truck as a "Clubhouse"! Spilled food & drinks everywhere! The friend tried to clean it up before my friend arrived.It was destroyed!

Use Thus Rule:

"Dominicans destroy absolutely EVERYTHING they get their hands on!!!"

you won't go far wrong!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Say que?

NALs said:
This is part of human nature, we take better care of the things we worked to get.

The point? Anything not worked for will be undervalued by the "owner" or "borrower" and thus treat the material thing as an undervalued thing. However, things that are earned are overvalued. Those earned things are treated as overvalued material.

-NALs
In my case, not true at all. I take very good care of my things and I also take very good care of the things that I USED to borrow.

One of my best friend and I used to borrow cd'd from each other all the time. It just happens that when it was time to return them, he would get his cd's the same way I got them. Now, when it was his turn to return my cd's, they were either missing the case, the labels or the cd's were scratched. I put a stop to the "borrowing" very rapido.

You, as a Dominican, should know that MOST Dominicans DO NOT take good care of things that do not belong to them. The "thing" can be as small as a portable radio or as big as a house, a car, a boat or a plane, SOME just do not take care of it/them. And let's not forget that SOME of the things that they are neglecting/abusing, sometimes, they are benefitting from it/them.

Later on, I will post about what happened to my house in SD after I "rented" it to a very good friend. SOME of you will not believe it. SOME will believe it since it's very common in the DR.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
miguel said:

EXACTLY Miguel!!! :) :bunny:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
In my case, not true at all. I take very good care of my things and I also take very good care of the things that I USED to borrow.

One of my best friend and I used to borrow cd'd from each other all the time. It just happens that when it was time to return them, he would get his cd's the same way I got them. Now, when it was his turn to return my cd's, they were either missing the case, the labels or the cd's were scratched. I put a stop to the "borrowing" very rapido.

You, as a Dominican, should know that MOST Dominicans DO NOT take good care of things that do not belong to them. The "thing" can be as small as a portable radio or as big as a house, a car, a boat or a plane, SOME just do not take care of it/them. And let's not forget that SOME of the things that they are neglecting/abusing, sometimes, they are benefitting from it/them.

Later on, I will post about what happened to my house in SD after I "rented" it to a very good friend. SOME of you will not believe it. SOME will believe it since it's very common in the DR.
Claro que si!

I don't lend anything to a compatriota unless there is some collateral involved, sometimes even then I refuse to do such. In fact, the few times people have actually come to me to borrow anything (one came recently directly from Santo Domingo, when a person takes a flight from SDQ to the US to borrow from a friend, you know they are in deep trouble) I usually consider this as me giving them a gift as oppose to lending them anything.

But, it's human nature, for the most part. For this reason capitalism works better than all other systems of economics, because capitalism works under the pretence of private property. Why? Well, we all know why.

Let me guess about your house, you rented to home and with time, you realize that your home is not "yours" anymore??? It happens, many times. For more obvious examples of this, just look when the government has plans to develop some of its own lands which often times happen to be invaded by squatters. Bloody is an understatement, and this is the government's land! If it happens at high levels, certainly everywhere below.

Plus, I've seen a few friends and family members of mine go through the heartache of having to evict a "friend" who decided they own the property by virtue of time. It happens.

-NALs

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not!

NALs said:
Let me guess about your house, you rented to home and with time, you realize that your home is not "yours" anymore??? It happens, many times. For more obvious examples of this, just look when the government has plans to develop some of its own lands which often times happen to be invaded by squatters. Bloody is an understatement, and this is the government's land! If it happens at high levels, certainly everywhere below.
-NALs
Not even close.

I will post about it later tonight. It will be one of my looooooong posts but since I am at work, I have no time to write about it now. But, I must add, my case is much worse. Not unheard of but much worse.

Let me just give you a hint: more than 80,000 pesos came out of my pockets!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

british bulldog said:
Can not wait for this one miguel !!!!!!!!!
Suriosity killed the cat, lol.

You will have a ball, I gotta tell ya!.

Just a few more hours.