News on the Dominican team

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bartolo Colon, winner of the Cy Young of the American League in the past Major League season, says he is recovered from his arm injury. "I am going to pitch as I would in any Major League game," he told Listin Diario, but then added, "I am going to be careful because these are the best players of each country."

Meanwhile, Manny Acta, manager of the team says he could use two opening pitchers per game; these are limited to 65 pitches per game in the first round. The idea is that they take it to the 6th inning, and from then call in relief pitchers from the bullpen. He said in a week they will know if Pedro Martinez can play. Pedro is at the Mets training camp awaiting his special shoes from Nike.

Miguel Tejada, of the Baltimore Orioles, commented, "Everyone knows that the DR has great talent, but one brings about the victory is not how you look, but what you do on the playing field." Tejada was the most valuable player of the American League in 2002.

16 February 2006

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Pedro's shoe arrives

Pedro got his shoes.

The Major League Baseball website explains:
"The shoes -- manufactured by Nike in Taiwan and shipped to California, then to Oregon and finally to the Mets' office -- are not a pair. The right one is higher cut and more thickly padded than the left. It is conspicuously larger than its fraternal twin, though each is size 10 1/2 and designed for a man who normally wears a 9 1/2. It must be said, then, that if Martinez is unable to pitch at some point in 2006 -- for whatever reason -- his replacement will have even bigger shoes to fill.

The new shoes are different from any of those Martinez pulled from his stuffed duffle bag on Wednesday. His hair was combed differently than it had been on Tuesday, when he gave his first state of the metatarsal address. So Martinez was quite literally different from head to toe."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...d=1312217&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Sosa likely out, Pedro not a sure thing

Just perusing the papers today there are indications that Sosa will not play in the WBC.

Pedro will not do so unless he's 100%. From following his career for over a decade, I can't recall a time when he was 100%, so who knows what that all really means.

I'm not sure Sosa would have made the team as anything more than an ambassador and an easy photo opportunity. His time has passed.

Pedro missing out would certainly be a blow to the DR's chances.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Wow, the Dominican Republic's first game will be against,..............drums rolling.............Venezuela!!!!! :bunny: :)

My country (Korea) will be facing Japan!!! :chinese:

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Sosa, Mango....

Cleef, personally, I'd prefer that Sammy stay in DR sucking on a mango than going to the WBC and sucking on the field. Who needs Sammy but Sammy?
He can't hit a fastball if it was a change-up!!!

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Potato_Salad - Good Luck

I think the Korean team will need it against Japan.

Hey, you think Korea would want to use Sammy?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
DRPAWA said:
I think the Korean team will need it against Japan.

Hey, you think Korea would want to use Sammy?

Korea would LOVE to have Sammy.

But Sammy is not Coreano. LOL

Sammy has to look like this in order to qualify to play for Korea. --> :chinese:

"IF" Korea faces the United States or the Dominican Republic in the next round, then my country will be humiliated!!! LOL

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What to make of the Dominican team

No Pedro and no Manny.

Pedro is the biggest loss for sure. I hope this trend stops.

Uncharted territory. Neither of the players were in the CWS, but this doesn't help.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
No Pedro and no Manny.

Pedro is the biggest loss for sure. I hope this trend stops.

Uncharted territory. Neither of the players were in the CWS, but this doesn't help.

Hi Cleef :)

I heard that Pedro will pitch in the second round of the tournament. But again, who knows?

Manny's bat will be missed.

Wang decided not to play for Taiwan. :chinese:

Are you going to any of the games?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
West Side Games

I have tickets for the weekend games in Anaheim and the finals in SD, but if there is fresh snow in the Sierra's fuhhhget'bout it.

Pedro isn't going to pitch. Why he puts a disclaimer on his comments has always been a mystery. If the DR somehow makes it to the finals, yeah, he'll likely make the gallant re-entry.

Unless the games look like Big 10 college football scores, I don't think the DR will miss Manny's bat at all. They have 4 or 5 MVP's in their lineup - and that doesn't include Papi.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
I have tickets for the weekend games in Anaheim and the finals in SD, but if there is fresh snow in the Sierra's fuhhhget'bout it.

Pedro isn't going to pitch. Why he puts a disclaimer on his comments has always been a mystery. If the DR somehow makes it to the finals, yeah, he'll likely make the gallant re-entry.

Unless the games look like Big 10 college football scores, I don't think the DR will miss Manny's bat at all. They have 4 or 5 MVP's in their lineup - and that doesn't include Papi.

Lucky you!!! :)

Manny is also a mystery. :bunny:

Are you a fan of Big Ten sports? I love it. Especially football and basketball.

Take care.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Dropping like flies

Chicago Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez will not play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic, saying he's not yet ready to play all out.

Full Story

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
Chicago Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez will not play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic, saying he's not yet ready to play all out.

Full Story

Another big bat gone from the line-up.

One star player after another leaving the tourament.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It will be Johan Santana, Venezuelan Cy Young winner 2004, versus Dominican Bartolo Colon (Cy Young winner 2005) opening for the DR on 7 March in the World Baseball Classic. Bartolo Colon has repeatedly stated he will give his best, and pitching in the game will be just like any day of pitching in the Major Leagues.

The pitchers are limited to 65 pitches, which could bring them into the 6th inning of the game.

For the Dominican team it is a victory especially sought, after the Tigres del Licey lost to the Venezuelan team in the Caribbean Series held this February in Caracas, Venezuela.

Colon (Angels) ended 2005 series with a 21-8 record, 3.48. Santana ended the season with 16-7 record, 2.87.

The two

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Albert Pujols told the Post Dispatch newspaper that what most motivates him is the opportunity to represent the DR. He said he has not had the opportunity to play winter ball in the DR and Dominicans have not been able to see him play. While he was born in the DR in Santo Domingo, he has never played winter ball in the DR, as he traveled to the US young in 1994. He feels this is a way to say thanks to all Dominicans that have supported his career.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Dolores said:
It will be Johan Santana, Venezuelan Cy Young winner 2004, versus Dominican Bartolo Colon (Cy Young winner 2005) opening for the DR on 7 March in the World Baseball Classic. Bartolo Colon has repeatedly stated he will give his best, and pitching in the game will be just like any day of pitching in the Major Leagues.

The pitchers are limited to 65 pitches, which could bring them into the 6th inning of the game.

For the Dominican team it is a victory especially sought, after the Tigres del Licey lost to the Venezuelan team in the Caribbean Series held this February in Caracas, Venezuela.

Colon (Angels) ended 2005 series with a 21-8 record, 3.48. Santana ended the season with 16-7 record, 2.87.

The two

Wow, so two of the top pitchers will be facing off. What a great way to start the tournament! :) :bunny:

So both pitchers will be limited to 65 pitches. If one team is able to have the other team's pitcher leave the game early (before the 6th inning), then that will be key to victory.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Dolores said:
Albert Pujols told the Post Dispatch newspaper that what most motivates him is the opportunity to represent the DR. He said he has not had the opportunity to play winter ball in the DR and Dominicans have not been able to see him play. While he was born in the DR in Santo Domingo, he has never played winter ball in the DR, as he traveled to the US young in 1994. He feels this is a way to say thanks to all Dominicans that have supported his career.

Albert Pujols is an amazing athlete, father, and citizen both on and off the field. :bunny: :D

I remember that huge homer that Pujols hit off the Astros' closer in game 5 of the 2005 NLCS to force a game 6.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
OMG...and family is everything to Vladi...we know his cousin Wilton (not brother Wilton, but cousin - thought I'd better clarify), and they're a very tight family. This is just horrible. Angel thinks he'll still play, but I'm not sure. One can't hold it against him if he doesn't.

Last edited: