US Troops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
Is it only me or does this 'smell' funny? Do you think the protests will do any good?

http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/02/1802671.php

Uniformed US troops in Dominican soil is obscene, for whatever excuse, more so when there's a rumor going around that the US government is in the process of moving their Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib prisons to Barahona. Hate to see pictures of poor Barahona campesinos being tortured and denied their rights...

-

-

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
Oh! no, the sky is falling....get a grip.....There has been US troops in taht area for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
I agree, only this government can shoot good will in the foot. Hopefully that don't have the pesos for a bullet. :)

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Well, I'm American and I'm as suspicious as anyone could be about the US government's intentions. It's also not unknown for a humanitarian mission to provide cover for a few sp:paranoid::paranoid:ks.

On the other hand, coincidence is usually just that. Let's see how long Preval lasts.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MrMike said:
They should definitely have chosen a time when there was no unrest in Haiti...

Actually, it was because of the unrest in Haiti that the US troops landed in Barahona. They brought with them heavy weapons and assault vehicles.

El Nacional On Line

-

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Potentially involving 14,000 US military folks? Huh?

We can't spare that many, says W. , "We have a war to lose in E-rak."

As for moving Guantanamo, forget it - the USA ain't gonna give up no piece of Cuba until they are forced to. Forget it!

There is NO such thing as concidence, but there is plenty of downright stupidity in the USA.

Done. I have to run go see the last part of "Elimidate - Sanky Style" where one poor sanky is faced with 4 portly matrons from up north,and has to whittle it down to just one fatty.

I think he'll pick the German...........

G

gary short

A middle aged German matron well oiled and wearing a thong bikini. OOOOHHHH......YYYAAAA!!!!!!!!

G

gary short

Preval elected, US military buildup in Barahona, Cheney wacks Texan lawyer. Coincidence?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
And

MrMike said:
They should definitely have chosen a time when there was no unrest in Haiti...

And that would be when? :cheeky:

Not to mrmike but victor
What is your definition of an assault vehicle, and heavy weapons? did not see anything in the el nacional article that qualified. and the 14000 was total not all at one time.

Transport Helo's, Hummers, and trucks would all be needed for the clinics, doubt if there were any Bradley's, or mounted artillery

Last edited:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Yikes.

I truly hope that any protestors are intelligent enough to know that it is not the fault of the troops that are doing rotations in the DR. If they choose to be angry at the US government and administration, that is more than acceptable. But I really hope that there are no problems between the populace and the soldiers - they can't pick their assignments, after all.

And as far as some of the people that don't want the US in the DR because of the track record in Iraq and their disagreement regarding the situation, let me remind them that the DR provided many of their own troops for 6 month rotations in Iraq to serve alongside coalition forces.

Whatver may happen, I hope that no violence erupts. All countries involved have witnessed enough bloodshed to last three lifetimes.

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
I think everyone is missing the point... and that is that the US is going to do what ever they want. they will just sugar coat it until somefinds out the truth and then they will deny it. then go to court because someone has a stick up their B*tt, then drag out for years wasting taxpayers money until its finally over and printed on the last page of USA Today newspaper....
So there is nothing anyone can do, no Sit-in, protest or greenpeace action is going to make a difference.

Now everyone get away from the watercooler and get back to work.....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Nuke Em!" Lets Start Over !

Since most of the problems in the DR are a direct result of the Spanish dominating the island for 5 centuries,ie.the "Patron" system.Lets "Nuke" the place into a "New Horizone"!(Could that be what "IT" means???)

Or better yet,"Neutron Bomb" the place! That kills all the "Animals" and leaves the geography pretty much in tact!

Then we re-populate with all the "Displaced Citizens of New Orleans",you know? "Hurracane Katrina"Vivtims"!The ones who have no place to go since they have used up/and trashed all the free hotel rooms!
We leave them to their own devices for about 100 years,(No contact,noboby in,or out!)and then land just like Colombus did! Only THIS thme we will make all the "Indians" into good little "Americanos"!! Sounds like a "PLAN"! To
me!!!!!!!!!!

Makes about as much sense as most of the posts so far!!

"Oh!"
Heeeeeeeeeeeelp Me!!....."Chicken Little"

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Criss Colon said:
... Makes about as much sense as most of the posts so far!! "Oh!" Heeeeeeeeeeeelp Me!!....."Chicken Little"

CC, you've missed the point altogether. The issue is that the locals don't buy the "we came here to build clinics for you" excuse. Parading with weapons to an 'off-limits' location within the province only breeds resentment and ill will among the local population. Do you really believe a cowboy shoot-em-up strategy will eventually bully the world into conformity? Will it make the world safer for you?

-

Status
Not open for further replies.