Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Laws regarding import of computer parts

I recall that bringing computers and related parts such as printers, monitors etc are excempt from taxation when brought into the country.

Is this still correct, does it still apply?
    Thanks for your answers

PS: I am aware there are many threads regarding this but I am interested in the law perspective, regardles of what Jose at the aduana might think about it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlantaFULL
    PS: I am aware there are many threads regarding this but I am interested in the law perspective, regardles of what Jose at the aduana might think about it.
    Yes, it is supposed to be exempt. But, the joke is, you'll pay what Jose at the aduana thinks about it...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe this should be moved to "LEGAL"

I think it sould be nice to have a copy of the article of law or decree.
    (?)

... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exempt anymore. Sales tax on computer parts was reinstated because of "aaaaallll the money the government is losing because of DR-CFTA".

Never really was exempt in the first place because of the exchange commission, and because of the duifficulty getting customs agents who cant even read to understand what a computer part is.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlantaFULL
    I recall that bringing computers and related parts such as printers, monitors etc are excempt from taxation when brought into the country.

Is this still correct, does it still apply?
    Thanks for your answers

Since January first, computers and components are paying ITBIS (sales tax),16%.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser
    I think it sould be nice to have a copy of the article of law or decree.
    (?)

... J-D.
    You can download the Law in this site:

http://www.dgii.gov.do/legislacion/p.../Ley557-05.pdf

The document is in Spanish.
    Last edited by Eddyx; 02-18-2006 at 08:55 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddyx
    Since January first, computers and components are paying ITBIS (sales tax),16%.
    As for the previous 4 years, we've had a hard time getting an itemized bill out of our freight forwarder, I have no idea what we paid, and what not. I paid if it sounded reasonable, and if not, I told them to go back to the drawing board. It is really hard if we bring in stuff that we are entitled to at a 2 for 1 or something because we are resellers. The good thing is, we've changed freight forwarders and the overall 'hit' at aduana actually has decreased a little. We now get a completely incorrect itemized bill. We've never paid Itbis as a line item on computer parts or accessories, even since January 1st.

You're doing good if you average 11% - and that is what we averaged now over a few years. Yes, we've been through the process... complained bitterly one time, only to be assigned a 'luxury' tax of 100% on that shipment.

Like I said, you pay what Jose at the Aduana wants you to pay, with, or without DR-Cafta. I hope this is one of the things that will change with DR-Cafta, after the Government ate double duties and taxes for 6 months or a year, until implementation.