Household items

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We are in the process of moving to the DR. As such we are bring some small items with us when we come each time. We have a place to store things. Is there a problem with thing in our baggage, not electronic. Do we have to pay tarrif on the items. Thank for your help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Going through customs at the airport is an uncertain process. If you arrive on a flight with lots of tourists and if you conduct yourselves like tourists, chances are your bags won't be opened. If asked for a tip and you give some money, you will be waved right through. Before asking, the inspector may open a suitcase, so make sure the first suitcases you put on the table are the ones that are the least suspicious.

If your bags are inspected and you are carrying a lot of stuff, you may or may not be charged.

The matter of customs inspectors asking for tips has come up before on this board so I know there are posters who think it terrible to do anything that furthers this practice. But, for myself, if coming with a lot of stuff in my bags that I hope will pass without trouble, I am quite happy to give a tip and zip through customs