Roof leak

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Hi everybody

I have a few questions regarding the roof on my house.

There are some cracks in the concreet so I need to have a layer of coating over it.

What are the options?
Whats the cost per square meter?
What company to call?

Thanks for all the replies. ;)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
roof leak

Werner said:
Hi everybody

There are some cracks in the concreet so I need to have a layer of coating over it.

What are the options?
What company to call?

I had the same problem...purchased a liquid like paint,white in color,at the locak ferreteria,cost about 2500 pesos for a 5 gal can...needed two...just for that problem....worked fine,even thru hurricane Jeanne...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's been my experience that the paint is not enough, not even when you use the top brands, like Silikool (spelling).
Normally, the correct proceedure is filling the cracks with cement, then a thin layer of cement all over, then the paint job.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Water/weatherproofing.......

In our area (Juan Dolio) they are now using a procedure much like that used in Canada to weather and water proof roofs whether flat or sloped.

First a black tar like substance is spread on the roof then a roll of special paper is 'torched' on.

Can't tell you what companies are doing it but I DO know it works very well as we have had several buildings in Canada done by this process.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
I am also afraid that the paint by itself is not enough. I would like a thicker coating but isnt there something more flexibel then cement? Something based on silicon or similar?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MommC said:
In our area (Juan Dolio) they are now using a procedure much like that used in Canada to weather and water proof roofs whether flat or sloped.

First a black tar like substance is spread on the roof then a roll of special paper is 'torched' on.

Can't tell you what companies are doing it but I DO know it works very well as we have had several buildings in Canada done by this process.
I tried that once, and it raised the temperature inside by 10 degrees.
White is where it's at for tropical houses.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Werner said:
I am also afraid that the paint by itself is not enough. I would like a thicker coating but isnt there something more flexibel then cement? Something based on silicon or similar?
The Silikool paint, and other brands of roof sealers, are a bit flexible, almost rubbery.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
Werner said:
Hi everybody

What are the options?
What company to call?

you can call Arq. Sully Martinez at his cell 809-224-9219- he is an expert in this area, and does the best "filtrations" repair.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I have had the same serious problem.

The terrace-roof - plato- was flat with no slope so the water could not flow out.

First I had a thin layer of cement put on the roof to create the roof, and then rubber painted.

That was not enough.

So I have made probably what MommC mentioned, it's called tela asfaltica, A primary coat, the the tela asfaltica, then a white coat for the temperature not to go up.

Up to now worked fine. Cost me 50000 pesos (the tela part, not the cement part) for a 140sqm flat roof. (Santo Domingo)

Hope it helps.

Barnab?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Barnabe said:
The terrace-roof - plato- was flat with no slope so the water could not flow out.
Good point.
What I was suggesting is only applicable to rooves with a slope & drainage.
If you do have a flat roof, you could add enough cement to make a slope and give it a drain, otherwise, it has to be super-waterproofed, and even if it is flat, there had better be some type of drain.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
POP Bad Boy said:
...................is "Sully" in?

sully lives in Casa de Campo- but he represents a compania called "Techos y Aislantes" ( i think that's the name) and can orient you on what you need to do and where you need to go.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
sully is the man

Rocky said:
Good point.
What I was suggesting is only applicable to rooves with a slope & drainage.
If you do have a flat roof, you could add enough cement to make a slope and give it a drain, otherwise, it has to be super-waterproofed, and even if it is flat, there had better be some type of drain.

you should give him a call- he can straighten out all these questions.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
i am a concrete contractor here in canada. we have sucsessfully used a product called gecko-flex. its a three part rubber epoxy kinda product. works very well. not sure if its available in dr but worth a shot looking for it. it can be tinted but plain is light grey. you mix 2 5gal pails together then add 1 quart of the catalyst product, mix again(the buckets get pretty hot from the chemical reaction). crushed walnut shell can be added for traction in the event that the offending leak is through a rooftop terrace.
if that is unavailable, get a friend from abroad to bring you some of that liquid hydraulic cement from home depot, works in a pinch.
pm me if you have any other questions about concrete repair. i have been in the biz for over 20 years.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
Let's keep the advertising to a dull roar in the background OK... Thanks for the information about the rubber epoxy stuff.

Chris - Sometimes Moderator

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
For what it's worth my experience has been to mix a watery mixture of cement and very fine sand and pour this where the cracks are. The liquid state of the concrete allows it to enter the cracks to fill them. Once dry then the painting with the aforementioned rubber based white paint, like they use for swimming pools, seals everything up nicely.

All these cracks and leaks in roofs here in the DR would not happen if the people would vibrate their pours.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003

All these cracks and leaks in roofs here in the DR would not happen if the people would vibrate their pours.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick[/QUOTE]

"vibrate their pours" What on earth does that mean??

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Sosuajames would you please be so kind as to explain this as you seem to be the resident expert and coming from you would be better. Thank you.

Rick

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Sosuajames would you please be so kind as to explain this as you seem to be the resident expert and coming from you would be better. Thank you.

Rick

When the concrete is poured, a contraption with a vibrator head is submerged into the liquid concrete for several minutes. The process is supposed to remove the entrained air, allowing the concrete to consolidate. You can see hardware if you google images for "concrete vibrator".

-