Buying Used Vehicle - North Coast

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Could anyone recomend some places to buy used vehicles on the North Coast. Most interested in buying a smaller SUV. Notice many dealers on supercarros but most are Santo Domingo area. ANy advice would appreciated. Also how is the typical payment handled for buying a used vehicle in DR - do you use a chq? Money transfer? Is VISA an option? Thanks tom

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
windeguy said:
When I was in the market for a small SUV here in the DR, I checked all of the dealers in the US first as I was planning my move here to find what I wanted. I was scared off of purchasing used here in the DR for several reasons. We were afraid that we would never get a straight answer on the true condition of a used vehicle. In recent times, perhaps some vehicles were imported from New Orleans that were flooded and how would you know that? Buying a used car in the US is a terrifying enough experience.

Also, prices of used vehicles were very high compared to the US. I ended up purchasing a new Hyundai Santa Fe at Magna Motors in Santo Domingo. They also have a dealership in Santiago that seems to have re-opened recently. I have no regrets on the decision to buy new. Maybe you will draw a similar conclusion after shopping around.

I have heard others recommend going up to Moca for used vehicles, but I don't have experience on which dealers are best.

I actually purchased the car using a credit card.

A Santa Fe or Galliper are two of the vehicles I am interested in. Buying new - how did you find the price compared to US? Does this dealer have a website or contact info? I agree with you on buying new does definately give you piece of mind. Any other good websites with new vehicles - most on supercarros are used listing....Thank you very much for the info...tom

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
North Coast: used car resources & free advice!

I've been living in Puerto Plata for 9 years; I've bought 2 used SUVs, successfully, in this country; my suggestions:
1. Used the 'Listin Diario' classifieds, paper & on-line; usually realistic prices; ocassionally you can find a bargain. "Motivated seller"!
2. Moca & La Vega have reputations for better selection & lower prices; I shopped in La Vega; many dealers; prices? I didn't buy there.
3. Try Rockys' Blues Bar, Sosua; (809) 571-2971; marco@rockysbar.com; the American owner, Mark, has a working relationship with some Moca dealer; with his cooperation you can take the unpurchased car for 1 day, bring it to YOUR mechanic, have it inspected, bring it back, & begin negotioations.
4. Avoid the small towns & small cities; high prices, small selection.
5. If your skin is white, duck! You never get the DR price. Try to work around this.
6. Spread the word in local bars, restaurants, colmados, & car dealerships; tell everyone what you're looking for, & that you have CASH!
7. Take your time. This can be educational. Enjoy yourself! Buying a car, new or used, can be pleasurable, here or in the DR! Good luck

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
gringosabroso said:
I've been living in Puerto Plata for 9 years; I've bought 2 used SUVs, successfully, in this country; my suggestions:
3. Try Rockys' Blues Bar, Sosua; (809) 571-2971; marco@rockysbar.com; the American owner, Mark, has a working relationship with some Moca dealer; with his cooperation you can take the unpurchased car for 1 day, bring it to YOUR mechanic, have it inspected, bring it back, & begin negotioations.

Mark is an American? And all this time I thought he was Dominican.

Chuckuindy

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
gringosabroso said:
1. Used the 'Listin Diario' classifieds, paper & on-line; usually realistic prices; ocassionally you can find a bargain. "Motivated seller"!
2. Moca & La Vega have reputations for better selection & lower prices; I shopped in La Vega; many dealers; prices? I didn't buy there.
4. Avoid the small towns & small cities; high prices, small selection.
5. If your skin is white, duck! You never get the DR price. Try to work around this.
6. Spread the word in local bars, restaurants, colmados, & car dealerships; tell everyone what you're looking for, & that you have CASH!
7. Take your time. This can be educational. Enjoy yourself! Buying a car, new or used, can be pleasurable, here or in the DR! Good luck

Greatly appreciated advice. Thank you for your time on this. I have been told by others to check with Marco as well - will definately touch base with him. Any website or email address for Moca dealers??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
twhitehead said:
Greatly appreciated advice. Thank you for your time on this. I have been told by others to check with Marco as well - will definately touch base with him. Any website or email address for Moca dealers??
We buy our vehicles from Espaillat Motores, and as mentioned, when buying used, they allow me to borrow the vehicle for a day to fully test & inspect it.
If you are buying new, we need only phone them and ask if they have them available and at what price, or where to get them.
I would guess that we pay approx. American prices, plus 40%.
It may vary from brand to brand.
I'm sure they must have a website, although I have never been to it, but seeing's believing when it comes to used, and shopping a new model can be done by telephone.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HOWMAR said:
Shhhhh!!!! Maybe he won't notice what you called him.;)
Not to worry.
Everybody knows I'm from another planet.
Telling people I'm Canadian is just a front, just like in the movie, Men In Black.
I really don't know why people get so freaked out dealing with Aliens.
We have feelings too, you know....

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky said:
Not to worry.
Everybody knows I'm from another planet.
Telling people I'm Canadian is just a front, just like in the movie, Men In Black.
I really don't know why people get so freaked out dealing with Aliens.
We have feelings too, you know....
Now that you mention it, some of those women hockey players who won the gold medal looked a bit alien.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HOWMAR said:
Now that you mention it, some of those women hockey players who won the gold medal looked a bit alien.
What gave it away?
The braided armpits?
Oops, are we getting off topic again?
It's so hard to focus, when you're having so much fun.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
twhitehead said:
Could anyone recomend some places to buy used vehicles on the North Coast. Most interested in buying a smaller SUV. Notice many dealers on supercarros but most are Santo Domingo area. ANy advice would appreciated. Also how is the typical payment handled for buying a used vehicle in DR - do you use a chq? Money transfer? Is VISA an option? Thanks tom
1998 Suzuki Sports SUV, 4 door fully equipped. Purchased new by present owner, very low mileage, still has original tires on it. Looks like new and most important never been dominicanized. Asking 350,000.00 but probably negotiable. I'd buy it myself but to small for me. PM ar call me and I'll introduce you to the owner.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Professional Car Buyer

A friend of mine is retired as the general manager of a number of automobile dealerships in central Florida. For a set fee he negotiates deals for high end cars for people who don't want to put the time or effort into making their own deal.
Are there similar people available in the DR to make the deal for those of us who are bound to be ripped off if we try to purchase an automobile our self?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
1998 Suzuki Sports SUV, 4 door fully equipped. Purchased new by present owner, very low mileage, still has original tires on it. Looks like new and most important never been dominicanized. Asking 350,000.00 but probably negotiable. I'd buy it myself but to small for me. PM ar call me and I'll introduce you to the owner.
If it's really newish, with approx. 30,000 miles, it would be worth 250,000 RD. or so.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
drtampa said:
A friend of mine is retired as the general manager of a number of automobile dealerships in central Florida. For a set fee he negotiates deals for high end cars for people who don't want to put the time or effort into making their own deal.
Are there similar people available in the DR to make the deal for those of us who are bound to be ripped off if we try to purchase an automobile our self?
There may be, but how would you know that he's not ripping you off even more?
Anyhow, there's no reason you should get ripped off, if you use your common sense and buy from a reputable dealer, and have the vehicle thouroughly inspected.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
5 % More Than US Price????????????????????????

Then You must be paying too much in the USA!!! 5% is NOT POSSIBLE HERE!!! No Way!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Criss Colon said:
Then You must be paying too much in the USA!!! 5% is NOT POSSIBLE HERE!!! No Way!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
That is correct, but he did specify the list price, which may be unrealistic.
Car dealers in the US can have high list prices, so that when they sell it to you at 30% less, you feel like you got a deal.
I use Kelley Blue Book prices to help me find the vehicles true value in the US., then go from there.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
If it's really newish, with approx. 30,000 miles, it would be worth 250,000 RD. or so.
I agree. An offer could be made in that area.. Who knows. I am a little leery of buying from a dealer unless it's a new vehicle.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
I agree. An offer could be made in that area.. Who knows. I am a little leery of buying from a dealer unless it's a new vehicle.
That's why we have an agreement with Espaillat, to borrow the vehicle for a day.
A ride up that steep mountain with the AC on let's you know how strong the engine is and checks for overheating, then the rest of the drive assures you of good brakes, good handling and if you like the vehicle or not. Then off to the mechanic for a full inspection, including hooking up to the computer, then you go back the next day, and say yes, or no.
The worst scenario is that it costs you a bit of time and some gas.
The best scenario is that you like the vehicle, know that it's in good shape, then you give the dealer the list of little things to do, as there always are a few, then you drive off with a decent deal and a feeling of confidence.
Buying private is what scares me. Once they hand it over to you, it's yours, problems and all.