Best City Hotel Puerto Plata ?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Have som visitors here in Sosua, that wants an overnight trip to Puerto Plata. Need a reccomodation on a hotel with a central location down town, must be "guest friendly" and secure. Have been searching a bit, and Hotel Victoriano seems okay. Have anybody experiences with this hotel, and is it "guest friendly" ? Other suggestions are also appreciated.
I'm also in need of a reccomodation of good restaurant downtown.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Field of Dreams. Just a hop, skip, and jump from PoP, right across from Playa Dorado, very new, guest friendly, and Billy (the proprietor) is a great guy.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Victoriano is mainly for long term locals, very noisy and nothing to recommend.

Try the ones on the Malecon..
Lorimar or Puerto Plata Beach Hotel.

Breakfasts:
Mariposa by Central Park serves breakfast
Sams serves American breakfast
Barco?s on the Malecon serves breakfast

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the answers Carina. Do you also have a suggestion for a good restaurant to have dinner ? Price range 300 to 600 pesos.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Aguaseros (not sure if I spelt that right?) on the malecon is great if you like mexican food.....or there's Barcos....also on the malecon which is an italian....great lasagne :classic:

Both are within the price range you mention

Daydream

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Tor said:
Thanks for the answers Carina. Do you also have a suggestion for a good restaurant to have dinner ? Price range 300 to 600 pesos.

The word "good" is very individual :squareeye

Portofino serves good Italian food, everything from pizzas to pastas and a great mushroom-cheese filled chicken filet. ( On Calle hermanas Mirabal towards Malecon)

Swiss Jardin on Malecon is great too. Indoors and more calm.
I always have fish here!

Coral Marien Hiltons Buffet is my favourite, food and drinks included, for 550 pesos I think. You buy the tickets in the reception before you go to the restaurant.

Many of the rest, especially on the Malecon have all the same menus, and none is special. You eat, you leave not hungry, but no experience of any kind.

Cafe Cito is nice too, on the way from Playa Dorada towards Puerto Plata.
On our left side just beside Harrison?s and Avis.

On Calle Beller you also have Caf? Colonial. Nice garden and good food.
It is located in the Casa Olivares, that was owned by one of the Bentz brothers, who were the sugar kings here about 100 years ago.. Great building.
One brother lived here, and the other lived in the house where the Amber Museum is now.

Also, mind you, Malecon is extremely busy and noisy on Sundays due to the usual traditions to be there on Sundays and also because of the carnaval.
This can be alots of fun, but good to know if that is not what you?re looking for.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
daydream said:
Aguaseros (not sure if I spelt that right?) on the malecon is great if you like mexican food.....or there's Barcos....also on the malecon which is an italian....great lasagne :classic:

Both are within the price range you mention

Daydream

LOL...makes me thinking of Marcos ( Rocky?s ) review of hair in the Mexican food there... Do a search... it was really fun...Since then none of us regulars eat their Mexican...:ermm:

There is also a new Texmex on Calle Beller.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
carina said:
I always have fish here!

Coral Marien Hiltons Buffet is my favourite, food and drinks included, for 550 pesos I think. You buy the tickets in the reception before you go to the restaurant.

QUOTE]

Hi Carina!

Every time I drive past Swiss Jardin I say to myself I must try it out one evening.....do they cover most tastes? I am not a great fish fan myself.....what else can you recommend?

Also - I wasn't aware that the Hilton had a buffet open to non guests.....do you get to spend the evening there and watch the show too - or would you have to pay for a night pass for that?

Thanks
Daydream

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
daydream said:
carina said:
I always have fish here!

QUOTE]

Hi Carina!

Every time I drive past Swiss Jardin I say to myself I must try it out one evening.....do they cover most tastes? I am not a great fish fan myself.....what else can you recommend?

Also - I wasn't aware that the Hilton had a buffet open to non guests.....do you get to spend the evening there and watch the show too - or would you have to pay for a night pass for that?

Thanks
Daydream

Swiss Jardin have everything.
I just enjoy the fish there, as it is well made and as you know that doesn?t happen at many places here in POP...:bored:

You can enjoy the buffet and stay for the show.
The buffet is somewhere around 550 pesos including everything.
Desserts!!!!
Anyone is welcome, as at most all-inclusives to the restaurants.
They have fixed prices for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
You buy the tickets at the receptions.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
carina said:

Oh my goodness!! Thanks for sharing that with me......I absolutely LOVE mexican food but after reading that thread I may also think twice before ordering their burritos......in fact, that goes for any of their dishes I guess.....who's to say those 15 inch hairs couldn't worm their way into a ham and cheese toastie?! :eek:

I know, I know.......it could have been a one off and there may now be a new chef....but still.....it makes you think

Daydream ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
daydream said:
Oh my goodness!! Thanks for sharing that with me......I absolutely LOVE mexican food but after reading that thread I may also think twice before ordering their burritos......in fact, that goes for any of their dishes I guess.....who's to say those 15 inch hairs couldn't worm their way into a ham and cheese toastie?! :eek:

I know, I know.......it could have been a one off and there may now be a new chef....but still.....it makes you think

Daydream ;)

At least it is a funny story!
I do not think they are specific for this in POP, but it is dirty there.
Tables, floors...

For a sandwish, pizza etc, I would stick with Sue at Barco?s.
She is hard as steel with the staff when it comes to cleaning and handling food.;)
They are doing a good job there.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the answers so far. One other qustion, Do they need to present their passports to stay one night at these City Hotels in Puerto Plata ?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Tor said:
Thanks for the answers so far. One other qustion, Do they need to present their passports to stay one night at these City Hotels in Puerto Plata ?

No, you don?t need that. You just fill out the card, and pay and then you get the key.

Diablo

May 4, 2005
I recommend hotel Victoriano(not noisy at all) when it is for a couple of nights, try to avoid Sams bar!

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Diablo said:
I recommend hotel Victoriano(not noisy at all) when it is for a couple of nights, try to avoid Sams bar!

I've talked with a few single guys who have stayed at the Victoriano while in town and they were very pleased with it. Nothing fancy but definitely close to everything.

And what's wrong with Sam's? Did you have a bad experience staying there or just eating there?

The food there is very, very good -especially the breakfast! You can get any kind of American breakfast possible for a very reasonable price. The basic breakfasts consisting of eggs, bacon/ham, potatoes, toast and coffee is around 130RD and if you want something a bit heartier, you can get eggs tostado for around 220RD or steak and eggs for around 250RD.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Tor said:
Is the hotel at Sams Bar "guest friendly" ?

Pretty much, yes. But if you will be having guests stay overnight then you will probably have to pay the rate for a double instead of a single.

Guests that are only visiting for a few hours are fine, however just as long as they behave.

I worked there for almost 4 months and saw my fair share of guests, nobody really raises an eyebrow. And the lady who owns the place, Joanne, is a very nice woman. If you end up staying there, make sure to introduce yourself and have a beer with her. Joanne has been in the DR for over 12 years and has a lot of wisom, insight and good advice.