What DR1 members have helped you the most?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Within a few days I will have been posting on DR1 for 2 years. The site and its members have been invaluable to me as sources of information and advice. I have made some great friends and hacked a few people off, yet the total experience has been fantastic.

FYI, here are some of the members that will give you straight answers. They have never failed to be of help anytime I PM?ed them.

Matters of the heart: Anna C, Talldrink, Nelly, MommC, Andrea9k, Miguel, Brezin, Sunshine_79

Sex in the DR: CC, badpiece33, AZB

Where to go & what to see: HB, Dolores, Robert, Golfer

Anything about Santiago: AZB, HB

Education: audboogie, NALs

Busniess: Chris, Buseouno, DSM3611

Money Matters: Tamborista, HB, Snuffy, DSM3611

The North Coast: Rocky

Best all around advice: Juanita, Andrea9k, AZB, Rocky, The Healer & Judy

Gay things: Jrzyguy

I am sure there are others and I would like to thank all of them.

If you have similar members that have helped you please let us know.

Chuckuindy

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Many thanks as well!!!!

I love this forum. It made my trip to DR, much better than it would have been.
The fact that busy people come forth and answer all of the questions you have, even though they probably have answered the same questions to "newbies" like me all the time.
To list a few that assisted me!!!

Rocky - North Coast (got to meet him and sampled his ribs) NO POKER though!

Howmar - always seems to have the voice of reason - great tips (met him too)

Brit (thanks for finding directions to Taco Tuesday for me and all your help (met her too)

Planner: - What can I say???? So much help from her - great resource

Tim - Never did rent a car, but he actually drove to a resort I was questioning - Big thanks

Escott - ouch! can I mention his name now?? He nevertheless was a great resource when I was desperately seeking condo, etc. (Met him too at Taco Tuesday)

Hammerdown - lots of info re accomodations, general Cabarete info.

I am sure I have missed a few, but you guys know who you are, and I hope how much I appreciated your help.

Keep up the good work.
That's my 2 cents worth!!!!!:cheeky:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

chuckuindy said:
Within a few days I will have been posting on DR1 for 2 years. The site and its members have been invaluable to me as sources of information and advice. I have made some great friends and hacked a few people off, yet the total experience has been fantastic.

FYI, here are some of the members that will give you straight answers. They have never failed to be of help anytime I PM’ed them.

Matters of the heart: Anna C, Talldrink, Nelly, MommC, Andrea9k, Miguel, Brezin, Sunshine_79
Grandpapa, is "common sense" now being called "matters of the heart"?.

I am just a "straight shooter", nothing more!. I say what I feel and I feel what I say without looking back.

I have asked a few members for information over the years but the one that I have "bothered" the most, maybe 2 questions, have been MommC. I asked her about a Resort in Juan Dolio and not only did gave me her opinion, she also gave me the opinions of others. I ended up going to that Resort and I had a great time.

There are many, I am sure, that would help me if I need information but the ones that I am 100% sure that would do it over and over again are Carina and AZB.

Last edited:

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
The most usefull forumers...

Hola Todos,

IMHO, everyone who got a GOLD status is a very good reference.

Thank to you ALL ! You beat up the best travel agent by far..!!!!!!!!!!!

Holacanada from Quebec city
Puerto Plata in 13 days, 8 hours, 21 minutes and 37 seconds

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yeah! i got a meantion!

but i hope i am known more for just giving out advise on gay stuff.

Hopefully i will have some new photos to post soon....... ONE MORE DAY TO GO!!!!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
chuckuindy said:
If you have similar members that have helped you please let us know.

Chuckuindy

I have visited DR many times over the past 3 years usually for at least a month each visit and I thought I knew all I needed to know about Dominican Culture but I was wrong. In the past I had looked at the weather reports on DR1 but had never joined until recently when I read a few postings and was suprised at the wealth of information and help available on this site. As a newcomer I have already been helped with advice from many member which include Chuckuindy and I would like to thank them all, they know who they are also special thanks for PM advice from AnnaC, Rocky, Rellosk and Mamasboy

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
My votes go for AnnaC (I look forward to swimming at your daughters house again this summer), Angel_04 - well, you know, your the **** lol, Peachez_n_Cream84 for passing out in my apartment in August courtesy of the A/C lol, sunshine_79 for letting me smoke her marlboros when I ran out, Dama Dess.... something .... will be partying it up in 2 weeks in POP, my secret crush AZB, I love him.... umm and my new 2 best friends ***princess and Baby Girl....lol JOKES ON THE LAST TWO !!!

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I enjoy many of the posters, but recently I have been in awe of three wel-written posters:

Gordo (of Pariaiso de Sol. Not.)
Tamborista
Mirador

I enjoy reading most things they write, as much for the content as for the eloquence and/or wit.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Grahame Bush was the first DR1 board member to help me out. Since then I have met a few others. Grahame has been very quiet lately.

Lynda in Canada

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
He's still around Lynda, reads the board most days & puts his oar in every so often! I am "Quiet" only because I am busy elsewhere too & as I had differences of opinion here re some censorship anomolies - I have learned to spend more of my time "elsewhere".

I am delighted to hear that you are a lot better now ~ Grahame.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Me 2

Charlielyn said:
Grahame Bush was the first DR1 board member to help me out. Since then I have met a few others. Grahame has been very quiet lately.

Lynda in Canada

Grahame was helpfull to me also, but he is not the better half of that pair. Lambada, where are you?

Thanks also to John Sr., LynnCox, Chirimoya, Shyla, jeanmarie, deelt, and others.

Chuckuindy

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
First of all, I think it should be noted that just because a person has reached gold, doesn't necessarily mean that person is worth their weight, as we all know some do just reach gold status by unnecessary ramblings !!! LOL

When it comes to complete knowledge and understanding of the DR - it would be undeniably the smartest choice to turn to:

Robert, Delores, Hillbilly, Grahame(Bushbaby), Lambada, Chiri, Pib, Ken, Miquel, Marco, KeithR, MommC, Bob Saunders, Carina.

There are new people on the board who have a lot of insight as well, but in my personal opinion, if ever I needed advice, the people mentioned above come to mind immediately. They have incredible knowledge, and with combined experiences, could most likely answer any question posed to them-intelligently.

Keep up the good work.

Marlie

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
When I first arrived in the country, Escott, Dawn and Carina were very good to me - I met all of them my first day in the DR. Scott and Dawn came to the airport to pick up a perfect stranger and then drove me to POP and even got me liquored up. Carina met us in POP and had arranged for me a place to stay. Things would have been a lot more diffcult without their unselflesness.

Since I have lived here, there have been so many people that have helped me in a myriad of ways. Some I've met, others I have not.

People who have helped me regain my faith in the goodness of mankind -

Charlie (Chuckuindy) for being an all around great guy. It's not often that I meet someone and automatically "click" with them so I especially cherish my relationship with my future husband, I mean with Charlie.

Tim (TiminDR) - although we kinda lost touch I'll never forget Tim. We had some great times and a lot of laughs and I consider Tim the first real friend I made in the DR.

Joanne (Samsbar) - Need I say more? I love Joanne. I wish she was my mom!

Tony (Jackquontee) - for being one of the most genuine, sincere people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Darlene (Planner) for always making me smile because she's so damn cute! Darlene is also the epitome of a smart, successful single woman who has her sh*t together and I admire her tremendously.

Trina - for just being Trina. I can't wait to meet her! I have a feeling we are going to be great friends.

La_Profe - I won't post her real name because she's a private person but she has given me a lot of good advice and always lends a sympathetic ear. And if you're reading this - Get well soon!

Miguel - for giving me the lowdown on Dominican men when I first got here. We do not always see eye to eye but thanks to him, I knew what to watch out for.

MommC - a very special lady who has empathized right alongside me throughout a very difficult situation.

AZB - for being a very big man and taking a very big step to make things right.

JD Jones - for being a great guy and for making me seriously consider lesbianism as he has the most beautiful wife in the world

Robert - for not banning me from DR1 even though I have a big mouth sometimes

And many others come to mind because they've been great people to meet and/or talk to through DR1 - Nelly, Malibook, Anna, Susan (La_Boobie), Chiri, Marco (Rocky), Jon S, Larry, Rick (Malafama), Daydream, Tamborista, HB, Bob (Laura...wtf) and countless others including my anonymous friend who is going to send me lots of movies (you know who you are!)

I know I forgot some people and I'm sorry.

And finally to Scandall - for being so hot even though I've never met him. A man who can write about all things SF does the trick for me!

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well since the original question was " which DR1 members have helped you the most" and not "which DR1 members know the most about the DR"

I would have to say the following DR1 members that have helped me behind the scenes as well as in some of my forums.

In no particular order are

Trina.....what a women, true friend and always there for you

Nelly.....you can tell her anything and know she's not going to repeat it.

Christa.....strong and true and always there for you.

Chiri....very knowledgeable and grounded with no flipping and flopping around ;)

Pib....man I miss her so much.

Lesley D... how else would we be learning all there is to know about Spanish

Linamia......she's a lady!!!!! always helpful with the PM's I send her with my silly questions, ;)

Keith R...... mi bueno amigo...te quiero mucho ;)

Alandr and Marys......have shared so much with this great couple.

Rocky....spent hours on yahoo agreeing and disagreeing with this guy but you know I love you and you've steered me in the right directing. ;)

Azb.....this guy is not what he appears to be online. He makes me laugh and is teaching me so much of which I won't get into to here. ;)

Criss Colon.....yeah yeah but he was a huge support when I first started as moderator.;)

Miguel.....for enlightening all on being sankified.

Chuckybaby.........you know I love to tease you but care a lot about you.

Robert...he always gives my suggestions much consideration.

See, I hate doing this because I know I will forget some.

The rest I will say that many have given me many many laughs, but and there have been times I wanted to quit if it wasn't for the great support system we have here.

Opps see I forgot, Jan, Amity and Maryanne whom I've shared my girly secrets with. ;)

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Oops....

Well since the original question was " which DR1 members have helped you the most" and not "which DR1 members know the most about the DR"

My mistake, I misread the OP's question!

Marlie

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok.....here goes....

HB
Robert,
Dolores,
BushBaby,
CC,
Rocky,

There are many others who's opinion I respect and whom are not always what they seem in their board 'persona'.

I would have to say that I have enjoyed meeting many of the members in person and I could continue to list many more who I've conversed privately with.

Some days I receive upwards of 15-20 PM's and I do try to answer all questions to the best of my knowledge.

I've tried to present life in the DR as I know it - living in a tourist area and I hope all those that I've had private conversations with (even those who have never posted on the board but just PM'd me) have benefited from my experiences and opinions.

I sometimes wonder what has become of some of them......????

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Not to be miss...

... Carina from Puerto Plata have a ?magnifique? blog. EVERY DAY of the year I take a look if she drop something.
And for the pictures blog (very nice addition on her site since january) it's a must, I feel emotion and love of the country. BRAVO ! As a graphist I admit that Carina certainly have the potential to put your business on the map.(she knows how to deliver a message).

? I am also read the Puerto Plata weather by Planner (?) or Sunshine 79 (?). My daily dose of sunshine (or warmth...)

? The pottery shop blog by Luzcaze is very informative too. I can take a look about arts (pottery, sculpture, jewellery, etc) in Dominican Republic by the works of Amparo. I can feel the care and the the love she brought to her works. As a teacher, I can appreciate the educational side of the enterprise and I applause to this. Art is a good way to transmit peace and talent values to the youngers even the toughest ones..!!!

ACTUALLY I FOCUS ON THE GREENTEAM BLOG.
Very good informations about the environemental question.
KEEP OUR PLANET CLEAN ?

It's a small world !
I really enjoy to have informations written by people (ex-pats) from around the globe. Carina is from Sweden I think and Mr. Snugg is German. Her girlfriend Amparo is from Colombia. WOW !!

All the dominicans (natives) who gives us accurate infos about there way of life (the day to day) too !!!

Also all the other people from United States, UK, Canada, France, etc.
The list is long > Rocky, Criss C, Escott, Gregg, Big Bird, Rick Toronto: to name by memoirs.

Holacanada from Quebec city
POP in 12 days, 4 hours, 33 minutes and 38 seconds

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
sunshine_79 said:
And finally to Scandall - for being so hot even though I've never met him. A man who can write about all things SF does the trick for me!

Thank you, my dear. Your comments are much appreciated.

PS: NALS is my hero

Scandall

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My motto is: It's not what DR1 members can do for me, it's what I can do for DR1 members.

I take the opportunity to thank all DR1 members whom I've been privileged to contribute to their understanding of the DR.

-