urgent help please...in cabarete at the mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Hi everyone, I?m posting this in living and in travel, so hopefully someone can help here.

I landed and checked into my booked accomodation, it?s all great, but the one massive thing is I asked several times to make sure they had WIRELESS access and they assured me they did. I don?t have an ethernet port on my laptop.

Guess what, my studio has ...ETHERNET internet access. I need to be online for this trip for various reasons and I?m now looking for alternate accomodation.

I?m way over tired too..moan moan moan. In the short time I?ve been here, I already know I like it. Good feel to the place. Right from the airport, my cab driver, hotel staff la la la la....anyway, looking forward to lapping it up, just need to get accomodation sorted.

Help, please and thank you.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Oh come on now, my IT guy flat mate at home as an ethernet port.... it?s bigger and uglier than a phone modem port...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Extreme Hotel, Cabarete has Free WIFI!
Try Magnifico or Taina as well for wired access.

Try relaxing for a few days, the internet is not going anywhere.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
thank you both. much appreciated!!! And yes, I know i should just chill for a few days, but I need decent access for work in the evenings. Boring I know, but ....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You are SURE there is no ethernet port? How old is the laptop? Note for the future you can get cheap PC card ethernet cards for that slot in the side. Unless it is so old it hasn't got that either. Wired is better than wireless if both are available.

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Yes, I?m sure there is no ethernet port ). It?s a newish vaio, so very slimline etc. I do have a pcmi slot, but no ethernet adaptor. New question...where can i get computer supplies in Cabarete or maybe Sosua, Puerto Plata?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I really doubt that you will find an ethernet card for a newish Sony Vaio in the usual computer stores. There is one computer store between Sosua and Puerto Plata, called Ceducomp and another Ceducomp in Puerto Plata. Perhaps someone has their telephone numbers and you could call and find out. Best is to go where there is a wireless connection.

carol11 said:
Yes, I?m sure there is no ethernet port ). It?s a newish vaio, so very slimline etc. I do have a pcmi slot, but no ethernet adaptor. New question...where can i get computer supplies in Cabarete or maybe Sosua, Puerto Plata?

carol11

Feb 9, 2006
Thanks Chris,

I was just about to head to Ceducomp in Sosua. I only need a pcmi card, not vaio specific, and adaptor. Wish me luck!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
carol11 said:
Thanks Chris,

I was just about to head to Ceducomp in Sosua. I only need a pcmi card, not vaio specific, and adaptor. Wish me luck!!!
If you haven't left yet, phone me at 809-571-2951.
Maybe I can help you resolve your problem.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
carol11 said:

If newish means this millenium it will have an ethernet port.

Also if it has USB 2.0 there are USB to RJ45 ethernet adpaters readily available. I'd look under little hatches and so forth and on both sides for what is almost guaranteed to be there.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ricktoronto said:
If newish means this millenium it will have an ethernet port.

Also if it has USB 2.0 there are USB to RJ45 ethernet adpaters readily available. I'd look under little hatches and so forth and on both sides for what is almost guaranteed to be there.
Unless it's an ole' Commodore 64 or a Tandy TRS 80.....

Status
Not open for further replies.