mortgage loan interest rates

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Hi everybody,

is it possible to find in DR a loan in USD secured by a mortgage on Dominican property (loan being 20% of the property value) and what is the current interest rate?

The scotiabank says rate in pesos is 24% a year but I see in DR news loans rates are dropping.

Any comment would be welcome.

Barnabe

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you want it cross currency that will limit the field. Since the lender has to then hedge the $/RD$ risk and may not be able to on a term that long (and a total absence of swap markets for the peso) . Of course if the 24% p.a. is for US$ they are hedging by grossly overcharging.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Rick, the 24% pa was for a rd$ loan.

Tamborista, I contacted Alberto who kindly give me a few advice although he works only on the North Coast.

Thank you for your replies.

Barnab?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
In essence then without RD$ income you assume the peso risk for 25 years or the term of the loan. A risky proposition and the opposite risk of the CD hounds who think they are a great deal .

The peso goes up in value to 20 you would have an effective interest rate that goes up to about 40%.

Better to source US$, at US$ rates, swap to pesos to effect the purchase.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
ricktoronto said:
In essence then without RD$ income you assume the peso risk for 25 years or the term of the loan. A risky proposition and the opposite risk of the CD hounds who think they are a great deal .

The peso goes up in value to 20 you would have an effective interest rate that goes up to about 40%.

Better to source US$, at US$ rates, swap to pesos to effect the purchase.

I agree with you on the peso risk. The deal i am negotiating with my DR bank is only a 2 year loan (credit line) with DR mortgage backup. I would not borrow in the DR on a 25 year term, it is guessing or gambling.