travelling soon ....question about passport

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I will go to POP on march 20 for 1 week and my passport will be finish on april 25. do I need to get a new one before my holiday or it s will be ok?

I know some country ask for your passport still be good for a period of 6 month after your return date . what about dr ?

I did not have problem in december when I taked my holiday but this time the date of the end will be closer .

I have canadian passport

thank you

susie787

Jan 18, 2006
I dont no about canada but here in the uk you need to have six months on your passport to travel at least thats what i was told for my daughter.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Caro, go get a new passport. It takes a week. You have a month. Get off your a$$ vs. worrying about it.

Note since in December it didn't have 6 good months left either it must have been OK then.

Sep 19, 2005
if you read some of the other threads you will see that some people are going there and back with out ANY passport!!!!!! they use birth certificates and other forms of phots IDS.....

so it should suffice to say that your VALID, but close to expiring passport would be fine.........its still better than no passport at all

if you look like a drug dealer, or some other smuggler type, or you look like someone that may give the country trouble... then YOU MAY have some issues.....other wise they are just gonna herd you through.

I asked at US immigrations why they pull some people off line and take them back to another room for other us immigration people to talk to, then come back and open up their booth again!!

the guy said they didnt have a good answer to a quaetion they asked... and they didnt want to spend a lot of time getting the answer, when 290 people weres till in line and wanting to get through customs.

so they hand the person off to another immigration officer who isnt working the lines.

you always wonder why it takes 30 seconds for some to go through and it takes 5 minutes for others.... they guy sees something that doesnt fit...or at least it fits a profile they are told to look out for... so they question deeper.

the guy aske dme if I have eve been taken back to the room!!!

I said I just asked why they took people back there ..doesnt that say i have never been back there

he said would you like to go back there.... i said no thanks....you answer satisfies my interest... ha ha ha ha.........

bob

caro

Sep 24, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
if you read some of the other threads you will see that some people are going there and back with out ANY passport!!!!!! they use birth certificates and other forms of phots IDS.....

so it should suffice to say that your VALID, but close to expiring passport would be fine.........its still better than no passport at all

bob

thank for the advice but I know it about the birth certificates and the photo id. but I prefer to travel with a passport.

I have a really busy life right now so it s difficult just to find a hour to go get a new one....but if I dont have a positif answer before the end of this week I will try to find the time to get my a$$ to the office to get a new one. don t know how I will do .....maybe make a day with 25 hour ;)

again
thank alot

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
We went to POP last month and my brother had an expired passport that he was using as photo ID, and they let him through with it without any other ID. You should be fine with your passport the way it is, just make sure you have your other ID with you in case there is a problem.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Passport not Needed

You don't need your passport to enter DR at the Moment. An original birth Certificate is fine so I would imagine that your passport soon to expire would be MORE than adequate. Even your Drivers license. Darn. I arrived one night at 1 AM And Immigration was sleeping and we just strutted on into DR> !

/ 22FEB06 / 1647 UTC

National CANADA (CA)
Destination DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

Passport recommended.

However, below documents are also accepted provided travelling
for tourist or business purposes:
- original birth certificate or military hospital issued Birth

Certificate accompanied by official photo ID document (i.e.

driver's licence) of holder; or
- Naturalisation papers/certificate and ID card.

Children under 14 years of age are not required to hold photo
ID.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided holding
Tourist Card (issued on arrival). No photos required.
Fee: USD 10.-.
Extension possible for a stay of 90 days. Fee: DOP 62.40.
Further extensions possible.
Note: Tourist Card not required if born in Dominican Rep.

Minors (applicable only when LEAVING Dominican Rep.):
irrespective of nationality (until 18 years of age),

traveling unaccompanied, or with an adult other than a parent
or legal guardian, or with only one parent, or with a
different person than they entered the country with, must hold
a permit issued in the Dominican Rep. or a letter of consent
issued by representation of the Dominican Rep. abroad.

For information on how to apply for a permit and documentation

required, contact Dominican Rep. representation abroad or the

Director General's Office of Immigration, Santo Domingo.

Visitor must hold:
- return or onward ticket (one-way ticket allowed if born in

Dominican Rep. or if being foreign minor, but travelling
with parents who are nationals of Dominican Rep.); and

- all documents required for next destination.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in

deportation on same aircraft and carriers will be fined USD

1,000.- for transporting passengers with improper documents.

Timaticweb Version 1.3
22 February 2006

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
People...please...make sure when you give information you specify which country your are talking about...

If you travel from/to the US...as of Dec. 31, 2005...YOU NEED A VALID PASSPORT....no more getting by with just a birth certificate or photo I.D....

MQ

Sep 19, 2005
Musicqueen said:
People...please...make sure when you give information you specify which country your are talking about...

If you travel from/to the US...as of Dec. 31, 2005...YOU NEED A VALID PASSPORT....no more getting by with just a birth certificate or photo I.D....

MQ

MQ..I almost 99.9 % sure that it has been posted here that , that rule was pushed back till DEC 31st 2006...NOW

because i made the same comment... and I got replies to that effect...

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, I think the new date is for the new, digitized passports...and, of course the absolute for a passport, too....from other countries.

H :D:D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The US travel initiative will commence on December 31, 2006, when travelling and returning from carribean destinations.

L

lovesthebeach

Passport

Here is my story.....hope it helps as it is current!

Feb 7 I "TRIED" to travel from POP to Toronto on American Airlines with a stopover in Miami.

As a Canadian Citizen I travelled to the DR on Jan1/06 with only a birth certificate and Drivers Licence Photo ID as my life is also very busy and i didn't make time to get a passport before i left.

They wouldn't let me on the plane in POP because effective Dec 31, 2005 a passport is required to travel TO or THROUGH the US. They called to AA to try to get special permission and then to the US Embassy but no luck for me!

So at the moment I am out the money for that non refundable 1 way ticket home! and had to fly home on a Canadian Charter using my photo id and birth certificate.

American Airlines said that if i had flown into the country with AA...I would not need the passport.

It wasn't really the end of the world for me to stay an extra week as I love the country but frustrating to say the least. It would be nice if we could buy a return ticket valid for more than 2 weeks at a reasonable price from Canada.

My advice is just to get the passport to avoid any hassle or trouble. You can get one in less than a week without any trouble...even next business day if you want to pay!

Hope that helps!
LTB

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
caro said:
I will try to find the time to get my a$$ to the office to get a new one. don t know how I will do .....maybe make a day with 25 hour ;)

again
thank alot

Go to the Passport office as soon as they open other than a Friday or Monday, if in Toronto, you take a number and the whole process takes maybe 5 minutes after waiting maybe 20 -30 minutes. Then a week later come back for it, no line different door. Just fill it out right and get a proper guarantor and you are set. There are other offices other than downtown but it is very fast and very well run.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank everybody for your answer

I will try to go this week and if I have really not the time I will keep my birth certificate and id card with me so if my passport it s not anymore good I will have a back up .

@ ricktoronto : thank for the advice about passport office but I am not in toronto but in montreal . the office in montreal are always busy but someone told me to go at a office in laval.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
lovesthebeach said:
Here is my story.....hope it helps as it is current!

Feb 7 I "TRIED" to travel from POP to Toronto on American Airlines with a stopover in Miami.

As a Canadian Citizen I travelled to the DR on Jan1/06 with only a birth certificate and Drivers Licence Photo ID as my life is also very busy and i didn't make time to get a passport before i left.

They wouldn't let me on the plane in POP because effective Dec 31, 2005 a passport is required to travel TO or THROUGH the US. They called to AA to try to get special permission and then to the US Embassy but no luck for me!

So at the moment I am out the money for that non refundable 1 way ticket home! and had to fly home on a Canadian Charter using my photo id and birth certificate.

American Airlines said that if i had flown into the country with AA...I would not need the passport.

It wasn't really the end of the world for me to stay an extra week as I love the country but frustrating to say the least. It would be nice if we could buy a return ticket valid for more than 2 weeks at a reasonable price from Canada.

My advice is just to get the passport to avoid any hassle or trouble. You can get one in less than a week without any trouble...even next business day if you want to pay!

Hope that helps!
LTB

Those people messed you up. Apparently they had old information. The ruling has been postponed to December 2006 and may not even happen after all, as the government is looking in other measures. That said, everyone who travels should get a passport, to avoid mistakes such as what happened to this person.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
caro said:
thank everybody for your answer

I will try to go this week and if I have really not the time I will keep my birth certificate and id card with me so if my passport it s not anymore good I will have a back up .

@ ricktoronto : thank for the advice about passport office but I am not in toronto but in montreal . the office in montreal are always busy but someone told me to go at a office in laval.

There is always one that is slower than the rest. Sounds like good advice. Also first thing other than before or after a weekend can be less traumatic than people lead you to believe.