Best Radio Station?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I havent seen anything on here yet about the various radio stations available here (notcounting what you can download these days). I have been listening to La Salsera for a while now (90.1 on the FM dial) and they do a good job. At different times of the day you will get all sorts of types of salsa. The station break announcment gets a bit annoying after a while, but all in all a good station.

Today I found La Quisqueya, 96.1 FM, which is playing a very diverse mix of music. Today (wednesday) Brazilian music is featured,but I have heard Elvis Costello, Sammy Davis, orchestral merengue, and some excellent Spanish-language vocal music too.

Does anyone know of a good station for Classical music?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Raices, Centro Leon's radio station is mostly easy listening which despite what some people say, is not classical music. However, they do broadcast a classical concert every evening at 9pm, according to their site.

Here's a good directory of DR radio stations: www.teoveras.com.do/radiowebindice.htm

I'll check out Quisqueya - sounds better than La 91 which I usually have on in the car, but it's generally too bland for my tastes. I used to like Viva FM which no longer exists.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Chirimoya said:
I used to like Viva FM which no longer exists.
It was probably one of the many stations closed down by the gov for operating illegal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hardly. It belongs to Juan Luis Guerra, and like him, it went all clappy-happy. It's probably still on the air, for all I know.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Still no classical? The 96.1 station i mentioned really plays a very unusual mix of things, so I am taking a shine to it, but I would like to find a good classical station. I usually just play my own selection, but sometimes I like to have the DJ take over. Does this mean I am going to have to start my own station?

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
ITs got to be Rubi FM - 92.5 i think. We hired a car for a week and had our radio locked to Rubi. Driving from Sousa to Corfresi i herd the Golden Girls Theme tune - hadnt sung to that for years! I remembered all the words as well - must to the dis pleasure of my girlfirnd!

Big respect to the guys at Rubi - some great memories were brought back whilst driving around the north!

Dan

GringaBachatera

Sep 26, 2003
Quisqueya FM 96.1 is where it's at. You'll hear everything there. Sonia Silvestre has a program from 6 to 7, from 8 to 10 on weekdays you have great son and jazz and other excellent things on Compasillo, and after that you have old timey Caribbean music and trovadores and cantautores of all sorts. And César Namnun the station director plays with is band Maniel every Friday night at Maniquí, in the Plaza de la Cultura, for $100 pesos.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
88.9 On Your FM Dial!!!!!!!

Almost makes one forget you are in the DR!

"Soft Rock "OLDIES"!!!!

"Put up the windows,put on the "Air",and you could be "Cruz'n down Route 66"!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
95.1 wins hands down in the costa del norte and the Cibao. No commercials, great adult music 24/7.