DR High school student to US on F-student visa

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
i've posted asking if anyone has been thru this, but apparently not. Im attempting to bring over my brother-in-law to study and finish his last one or two years of highschool in the US. I've done the research on the uscis website, and have questions. It doesn't help that the school i am trying to have him go to has never gone thru the process before either. The website basically says the DOS (designated school official) pretty much takes care of alot of the process, and answers most of your questions, but like i said, in this case, she doesn't know. SO....I've heard and read that that the proposed student has to take an TESOL, or equivalent english exam to show proficiency, however if he doesn't do well, he can still come over and study, you just have to prove that he will be enrolled in an ESL class. They offer that class, so thats no problem. but when, and where in the process would he take this exam? At the consul in Santo Domingo?
I have to show that me and my husband can support him. I believe you have to show 125% above the poverty level. Thats no prob, but what is poverty level? What number? When would i show proof we can afford? After he is granted visa? Does he bring our W-2's to the appointment? I found out the school is the only one who has the I-20 form you need to apply for student visa. Is this the first step. Does the school fill that out and sent it to DR consul and we wait for a letter in mail saying come for an interview and then go with all papers in hand (financial support, vaccinations,?) I've heard, not read, that the vaccinations need to be up to date, and thats a problem bc the mother says he did have his hepitis, varicella, etc...but has no record...if he needs the hepitis, thats 2 doses, one and then the other 6 mo later....he would need to get those rapido if he wants to make the second shot b4 september. So, where can i find the requirements for vaccinations? He needs to have insurence, and i've heard that the HS should provide some type of insurence where you pay 35 rougly dollars a month. I've tried calling INS with my questions but they don't give me an option to talk to an operator. Maybe i can get if not all, some of them answered here. I will hopefully post as i figure out this crazy process.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Since you seem to have a lot of questions and a certain sense of urgency (you want you brother-in-law here by the end of August), why not contact an immigration lawyer? They will at least be able to give you an idea of the costs and time-line.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
You could also contact Rotary International, since they sponsor high school students all the time. See if they can direct you on how to go about the process or to someone who can assist you.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
First, is the school that you would like him to attend a private school? I believe that a person cannot use an F-1 visa for more than 1 year at a public high school.

My girlfriend came to the US with a F-1 student visa to study at a college here in NJ. Before getting the visa she took an English exam called TOEFL in Santo Domingo. This is a test (http://toeflpractice.ets.org/) that is part of ETS in Princeton that you can call and sign up your brother in law to take in Santo Domingo.

As far as you proving your financial status, you would have to submit all info to the DSO at the school (tax returns, bank statements, whatever else you might have). Once the DSO can see that you will be able to pay for the school and accepts your brother in law he will issue an I-20 in a sealed envelope to you. This envelope must be taken and remain sealed to the appointment by your brother inlaw at the consulate in Santo Domingo. At the time you are getting information to the DSO your brother in law should be making an appointment for his interview at the consulate.

I don?t know if they check vaccinations at the consulate but my girlfriend didn?t have them all 100% complete and was able to get the rest done once she arrived in NJ.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The TESOL test is administered at the Instituto Dominico Americano in Santiago, Santo Domingo and at designated sites in La Romana and Puerto Plata.

This is gonna be a headache, like I posted before.

The poverty level in the US is a public statistic at the HUD ( about $25.000 +/-?? per year)

HB :D:D

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
First, is the school that you would like him to attend a private school? I believe that a person cannot use an F-1 visa for more than 1 year at a public high school.

My girlfriend came to the US with a F-1 student visa to study at a college here in NJ. Before getting the visa she took an English exam called TOEFL in Santo Domingo. This is a test (http://toeflpractice.ets.org/) that is part of ETS in Princeton that you can call and sign up your brother in law to take in Santo Domingo.

As far as you proving your financial status, you would have to submit all info to the DSO at the school (tax returns, bank statements, whatever else you might have). Once the DSO can see that you will be able to pay for the school and accepts your brother in law he will issue an I-20 in a sealed envelope to you. This envelope must be taken and remain sealed to the appointment by your brother inlaw at the consulate in Santo Domingo. At the time you are getting information to the DSO your brother in law should be making an appointment for his interview at the consulate.

I don?t know if they check vaccinations at the consulate but my girlfriend didn?t have them all 100% complete and was able to get the rest done once she arrived in NJ.

We have two options: A public highschool and a private one. The public one is closer to our house (~1 mile) and the catholic is about 15-20 min away, however the bus would transport him. Im still looking into which school to send him to , the private school would be cheaper (4900) opposed to the rough estimate the public gave me of 5000-6000 (but the lady really didn't know) my problem im running into is that the public HS has never dealt with this situation before. No one knows what to do. They have put it in the hands of the lady who is in charge of the ESL program for the district. So your replies have helped, thank you. The catholic school has done this before and the principal was very familiar with the process. However, the public baseball program is much better....so, if he went to a private school he could study for as long as he needed, but public only a year? can't he renew the visa after a year if he goes to public?

Did your girlfriend take the TOEFL exam before she had went to her appointment to apply for visa? Im trying to get my timeline in order. I understand almost all that needs to be done now, however its my timeline that is not in order.

So, in this sealed envelope im assuming it consists of the I-20 form filled out by the DSO, proof that we've reimbursed the school for his education costs, proof that we can financially provide for him, what else?

And what about insurance, will the school want evidence that he has health insurance or will the counsul want proof? both? How would i prove that, purchase it now??

and what about his transcripts...who would look at those? counsul? school over here? does he go and get them himself? or would school fax a request for them?

and finally, vaccinations? i called and found out that its not dangerous to get vaccinated if you have already been. reason i asked is bc nobody knows what vaccines hes had, or when.....the nurse told me you can never be too vaccinated...im assuming the school should be able to tell me what vaccines are required? or would the counsel want to know bc he is issued a visa? did your girlfriend have to get a physical by an international dr in DR?

and finally, does anyone know the approxamite costs of filing for visa? how much is appointment? I-20? any other forms im missing?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
rellosk said:
Since you seem to have a lot of questions and a certain sense of urgency (you want you brother-in-law here by the end of August), why not contact an immigration lawyer? They will at least be able to give you an idea of the costs and time-line.

I have thought of that however it would be my last resort. By getting help from people who have done it here, and my aunt who also has done it for four foreign students (during the 90's so its been a while), i should be able to figure it out and at the same time, take the thousands of dollars he would prob charge me and put it towards his education!