A-Rod- Why All The "Hating"?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
First of all, let me make you guys aware that I am NOT a fan of his, even if he plays for my beloved Yankees.

But as a baseball fan, I DO NOT have to be a "fortune teller" to see the man's contribution to baseball.

True, the guy DO NOT deserve all the money that he is getting. Who does?. If a player is paid for how good he is, he should be the "leader" in earnings because he is just about better than anybody who plays baseball right now.

The thing that I don't understand is why is it that so many are against him. Don't like the guy all you want but do not question his motives on handling a baseball situation.

I could understand if he were a prick like Jorge Bell, a man who not only would not talk to the press, but also a person who would tell you, like he told thousand of fans in Toronto: "Boo all you want because I am a millionaire and you have to go to your factory's job tomorrow", or something like that. Or:

I could understand if he was a drug and alcohor abuser like Strawberry and Gooden. How many chances did they got?. And let's not forget that alcoholic pitcher that the Yankees had. He got what, 7 chances.

So far, and as far as I know, Rodriguez has not been caught using steriods, has not been caught using drugs, has not been caught abusing alcohol, has not been caught using a corked bat, has not been caught of ANY type of indecent activities in the off-season. As I have said before,the only thing that SOME can acuse him of is of trying to "smack" a ball out of someone's glove in the heat of the moment.

The guy is good for baseball and since he is the best beseball player right now, he should be paid accordingly. That he should not be making 25m, or course not, but if someone should, he should be the one.

Now, SOME members are crying "wolf" because he is blaming MBL for rumors that he did not started. The only thing that the guy is saying now is that:

He, ONLY ONCE, told MBL about this decision to play or not to play in the World Baseball Classic. ONLY ONCE. ALL he is saying now is that a whole bunch of people from MLB were forming their own opinions and telling the press things that he did not say. What's wrong with defending yourself?. If the man do not defend himself, then he is labeled a coward, if the man defends himself, then he is labeled a "complainer".

Maybe if he were a troublemaker like Albert Belle, maybe if had an attitude problem like Manny Ramirez, maybe if he were a head hunter like Pedro Martinez, maybe if he were a alcohol and drug abuse like Gooden, maybe if he were a "corker" like Sosa, maybe if he were a "hot dog" like Andujar, maybe if he were a steroids user like McGwire and Palmeiro, maybe is he started jumping into the stand to fight fans, maybe if he started to throw chairs and balls at fans, among other things, maybe then he would be accepted!.

Do I like Ramirez, HELL NO. Do I think that he is good for baseball?, HELL YES. DO I hate him because he plays for the Yankees rivals, HELL NO. Do I hope that every single time he plays the Yankees that he strike-out every single at-bat?, HELL YES.

Cleef calls him Me-Rod but SOME of us forget that baseball, now, is nothing more than a business. If they do not take care of the business part of baseball, who will?. Did anybody called Sheffield a "cry-baby" when he said that he would not play in the WBC because they were not going to pay him and he could get injured?. Did anybody said anything when he said, FLAT OUT, that he did not wanted to play for the Mets and that he would make people's lives miserable if he was traded?. Man, if that was Rodriguez, SOME here would still be "talking" about it and not letting us forget about it.

How can we forget that not long ago, the people who were making ALL the money were the teams owners. Players like Marichal, the Alou brothers, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Orlando Cepeda, Brooks Robinson and many,many other great players were making "pennies"?.

Now, when a player demands to be paid what he thinks he deserves, he is labeled a "good for him, he is demanding what he is worth", but if the player's name is Alex Rodriguez, SOME will label him a "cry-baby". If a player wants to make the "record straight" about things that he did not say,he is labeled a "good for him, he should defend himself, what a man", but if the player's name is Alex Rodriguez, SOME will label him a "cry-baby". If the man does not defends himself, who will, you, me?, I don't think so!.

Again, I am not a fan of his but I know that when player, ANY PLAYER, puts A LOT of 'butts" on stadium seats, that means that he is good for baseball!.

As a friend use to say: "many are jealous of a person's good fortune, it's human nature".

We can hate all we want BUT at the end of the day, the man WILL take all his million home because he is DARN GOOD!.

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Very good and interesting points Miguel!!! :)

Like I have said in the other thread, A-Rod is an easy target of criticism because he is one of the best and highest paid baseball player.

I gave an example where A-Rod went 1 for 4 with a stolen base. But the media still criticizes him. A-Rod is not superman. A-Rod is not God. He is a human being like all of us.

I blame the media for all of this. Every single newspaper, magazine, talk show, and sports channel, etc. twist their stories and make a bigger scene that it really is.

Miguel, come visit NYC in mid-May. Let's see a Red Sox vs. Yankee game. :classic:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What I read

I think the "hating" - as you call it - comes from the obvious - a difference of opinion.

There are those that look at things objectively, and those that look at it subjectively.

I love my Saaaaawx and I feel no guilt about that. But I am more of a baseball fan than anything, and I really like rooting for players that play hard, play fair, respect the game, the tradition and the fans as well (that can be said about anything really, sport or life). I care for the laundry for sure, but that's secondary to the sport.

MeRod in the past few years has come into the spotlight because he's been brought into the biggest rivalry in American sport (notice how I qualified that Robert?).

IMO, his demise in people's eyes goes like this. First, his agent does his job and gets him in touch with the biggest fool to be found (Tom Hicks), and the guy gives him a blank check.

MeRod then decides that money can't buy him love, so he demands a trade to a "winner", something he doesn't know much about, but he'd like to get involved.

Please keep in mind that going to a "winner" could have been what he did originally, but instead he went for the money. No sweat there....until you start talking out of the other side of your mouth. This is where the downward spiral begins.

He then plays his hand in real competition, where it's a gladiator fight for supremecy.

He then shows his true colors and poor sportsmanship, then exacerbates the problem by running his mouth.

People rip him when he tries to defend his words or actions.

Then people here try and defend what's obviously wrong. Now there's "hate" in the room. Objective vs. Subjective, black and white, clear as day.

Miguel, that's why.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
I think the "hating" - as you call it - comes from the obvious - a difference of opinion.

There are those that look at things objectively, and those that look at it subjectively.

I love my Saaaaawx and I feel no guilt about that. But I am more of a baseball fan than anything, and I really like rooting for players that play hard, play fair, respect the game, the tradition and the fans as well (that can be said about anything really, sport or life). I care for the laundry for sure, but that's secondary to the sport.

MeRod in the past few years has come into the spotlight because he's been brought into the biggest rivalry in American sport (notice how I qualified that Robert?).

IMO, his demise in people's eyes goes like this. First, his agent does his job and gets him in touch with the biggest fool to be found (Tom Hicks), and the guy gives him a blank check.

MeRod then decides that money can't buy him love, so he demands a trade to a "winner", something he doesn't know much about, but he'd like to get involved.

Please keep in mind that going to a "winner" could have been what he did originally, but instead he went for the money. No sweat there....until you start talking out of the other side of your mouth. This is where the downward spiral begins.

He then plays his hand in real competition, where it's a gladiator fight for supremecy.

He then shows his true colors and poor sportsmanship, then exacerbates the problem by running his mouth.

Then people here try and defend what's obviously wrong. Now there's "hate" in the room. Objective vs. Subjective, black and white, clear as day.

Miguel, that's why.

Very good and interesting points. :)

I think you, me, Miguel, and other DR1 members should see a ballgame together. ;) :bunny:

I'm very happy that we have baseball threads. I love talking about baseball..............and also sex. :bunny:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Potato_Salad said:
Very good and interesting points Miguel!!! :)

Like I have said in the other thread, A-Rod is an easy target of criticism because he is one of the best and highest paid baseball player.

I gave an example where A-Rod went 1 for 4 with a stolen base. But the media still criticizes him. A-Rod is not superman. A-Rod is not God. He is a human being like all of us.

I blame the media for all of this. Every single newspaper, magazine, talk show, and sports channel, etc. twist their stories and make a bigger scene that it really is.
EXACTLY.

What SOME of these Rodriguez's bashers do not understand is that the man is not superman. The man is not perfect. SOME of these people do not know the pressure that some of these players have to "live with" day in and day out. The players know that since they are that great, the media and the fans will put them into a microscope and watch their every move, on and off the field.

There are those that have done much worse things that what Rodriguez has done and yet SOME refuse to say anything about it.

I mean, the guy knows how to talk, the man seems to be very well educated, the man does not "thinks" for 5 minutes before answering a question, the man plays great baseball, the man know how to give an interview, the man seems to be down to earth, the man does not get in all kind of trouble on or off the field. Ok, the man is not perfect. Who is?.

Cleef, I don't have time to reply to your post since I have to go to work, but when I have time, I do have one or two questions for you.

Last edited:

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
I'm an A-Rod fan since i first saw him play in DR in 1995-1996. I do believe he is the best baseball player right now making Albert Pujuls number 2. I do agree with everything Miguel says. Cleff, if i was a pro-player.. you never know when you career is going to be over so i would make sure that i secure my financial future and then we talk about a ring..

I mean don't get me wrong, you are right in some of your points and i think that A-Rod problem was the fact that he said one thing and then did another. And he did say that he would play for DR because it was recorded on an interview with Juan Jose Rodriguez at the All-Star weekend.. But he is not his own boss.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
All you A-Rod haters, answer me this....

If you were to build a team around a player and had to choose between A-Rod and Manny, who would you choose and why?

Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
How is that relevant?

Larry said:
If you were to build a team around a player and had to choose between A-Rod and Manny, who would you choose and why? Larry
It's a no-brainer considering the defense.

Offensively, it's almost a wash. MeRod makes his offense look shinier and prettier, but in terms of pure production Ramirez gets the nod.

EDIT: Numbers don't tell the whole story obviously. Not just a grain of salt - position in the batting order, who bats around you and schedule.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yea right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry said:
If you were to build a team around a player and had to choose between A-Rod and Manny, who would you choose and why?

Larry
Man, you are OUT OF YOUR MIND, as in "loco en la cabeza" if you think for one moment that they will be truthful. If SOME do, there will be be some "buts".

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef said:
It's a no-brainer considering the defense.

Offensively, it's almost a wash. MeRod makes his offense look shinier and prettier, but in terms of pure production Ramirez gets the nod.

EDIT: Numbers don't tell the whole story obviously. Not just a grain of salt - position in the batting order, who bats around you and schedule.
It is a no-brainer so why isn't there more Manny bashing? The guy is making almost as much as A-Rod!

Lets see Manny is a defensive liability...A-Rod is a terrific defensive player.

Manny has no speed. A-Rod has very good speed.

Manny is a problem in clubhouse (he is causing problems already this year). A-Rod is not.

Offensively, I say they are even, I agree Cliff that Manny might have a slight edge.

So, why not more Manny bashing???? Why does the whole world love to hate A-Rod?

Larry

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
miguel said:
EXACTLY.

What SOME of these Rodriguez's bashers do not understand is that the man is not superman. The man is not perfect. SOME of these people do not know the pressure that some of these players have to "live with" day in and day out. The players know that since they are that great, the media and the fans will put them into a microscope and watch their every move, on and off the field.

There are those that have done much worse things that what Rodriguez has done and yet SOME refuse to say anything about it.

I mean, the guy knows how to talk, the man seems to be very well educated, the man does not "thinks" for 5 minutes before answering a question, the man plays great baseball, the man know how to give an interview, the man seems to be down to earth, the man does not get in all kind of trouble on or off the field. Ok, the man is not perfect. Who is?.

Cleef, I don't have time to reply to your post since I have to go to work, but when I have time, I do have one or two questions for you.

Very good points Miguel (especially the bolded sentences). :)

I'm a Red Sox fan. And even though A-Rod is on my team's main arch rival, I still respect A-Rod for his hard work both on and off the field.

Last year (or two years ago, I do not exactly remember), A-Rod saved a kid from getting run over by a car. This happened in Boston.

I did not see the Boston media thank A-Rod for saving a kid. Instead, they still viewed A-Rod as the "Target" for more criticism.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Bash away, I'll pile on too!

Larry said:
It is a no-brainer so why isn't there more Manny bashing? The guy is making almost as much as A-Rod!

Lets see Manny is a defensive liability...A-Rod is a terrific defensive player.

Manny has no speed. A-Rod has very good speed.

Manny is a problem in clubhouse (he is causing problems already this year). A-Rod is not.

Offensively, I say they are even, I agree Cliff that Manny might have a slight edge.

So, why not more Manny bashing???? Why does the whole world love to hate A-Rod?
Larry
Manny is not a problem in the clubhouse. Front office - definitely.

MeRod gets bashed here because of his supposed nationality, how he purports to be Dominican but is more apple pie than yucca. He plays both sides of the fence. He's great at baseball, he gets paid the most and deserves to paid the most, why can't he just be satisfied with that?

Manny is what he is, no falsity, just a flake.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I completely agree with your comments, Larry, re Manny vs. A-Rod. My biggest complaint about A-Rod has little to do with the game. Honestly, I think he's a bit of a flake. He's always shouting out his Dominican pride and trying to be such an outspoken DR Ambassador - so proud of his heritage. But what the h*ll has he done for "his" country? If he is so proud to be Dominican, let him put his money where his mouth is. He certainly has enough of it. Yet, he comes up short. I have yet to find anything, not one substantial contribution to the country. His PR guys make sure we know all about his admirable work with the Boys and Girls Clubs of the US. Why does he ignore his own poor people?

I could find various articles where Pedro, Manny, Vladi, Sammy, et al, have given back to their country. Why not A-Rod? Doesn't he make more than all of them?

Last edited:

jluzbet

Feb 23, 2006
IMHO
A-Rod needs to earn his money in the Post Season by this said if he cant do jack shiat as he did this year, then he does not deserved to be called the best player ... Sorry I am a die hard Yankee Fan and I still cant get over it ... Why was Reggie Jackson - Reggie - Cuz he produced when it counted in October ... did not matter he struck out 1000 times in the regular season ...

So Arod - Eand $27 Million in October Please -

A - AS S HOLE
R - RAT
O - OVERPAID
D - DOMINICAN WANNA BE ...

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
trina said:
I completely agree with your comments, Larry, re Manny vs. A-Rod. My biggest complaint about A-Rod has little to do with the game. Honestely, I think he's a bit of a flake. He's always shouting out his Dominican pride and trying to be such an outspoken DR Ambassador - so proud of his heritage. But what the h*ll has he done for "his" country? If he is so proud to be Dominican, let him put his money where his mouth is. He certainly has enough of it. Yet, he comes up short. I have yet to find anything, not one substantial contribution to the country. His PR guys make sure we know all about his admirable work with the Boys and Girls Clubs of the US. Why does his ignore his own poor people?

I could find various articles where Pedro, Manny, Vladi, Sammy, et al, have given back to their country. Why not A-Rod? Doesn't he make more than all of them?

He does donate to various places.. Check this out ! I hope you don't say only $50,000 in the DR ?? :D

http://arod.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/players/rodriguez_alex/about.jsp?category=community

In DR

Dominican Republic UNICEF donation

In 2005, Alex donated $50,000 to the Dominican Republic branch of UNICEF. This donation fully funded five-day care centers outside of Santo Domingo. These centers were able to purchase enough school supplies, food and personal hygiene products for each center for one full year. Approximately 1,500 children will benefit from this donation.

In Washington Heights (where lots of Dominicans live)

The Children's Aid Society

In 2005, Alex donated $200,000 to the Children's Aid Society, a NYC-based children's advocacy/charity group. His donation supported the placement of therapists into schools located in Washington Heights -- the neighborhood in which Alex was born. These therapists bring stability and much needed mental health care into the NYC public school system. Once again, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America benefited from this donation, as the therapists were placed into clubs located within select NYC public schools. The donation will fund the project for an entire school year.
Dominican Republic

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
ElvisNYC said:
He does donate to various places.. Check this out ! I hope you don't say only $50,000 in the DR ?? :D

$50,000 is $50,000 - a very "admirable" one-time donation. So, breaking it down a bit, that would be 0.000222, or 0.0222% of his salary over 10 years, donated to his country. Wonderful. Forgive me for taking a little time in answering, I had to adjust my adding machine for all the extra zeros in the figure.

You don't consider Washington Heights as part of his contribution to the Dominican Republic, do you? There may be a lot of Dominicans living there, but remember, these are the Dominicans who "got out" of the DR. Usually, this means they're a little better off than the ones they left behind.

Last edited:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
trina said:
$50,000 is $50,000 - a very "admirable" one-time donation. So, breaking it down a bit, that would be 0.000222, or 0.0222% of his salary over 10 years, donated to his country. Wonderful. Forgive me for taking a little time in answering, I had to adjust my adding machine for all the extra zeros in the figure.

You don't consider Washington Heights as part of his contribution to the Dominican Republic, do you? There may be a lot of Dominicans living there, but remember, these are the Dominicans who "got out" of the DR. Usually, this means they're a little better off than the ones they left behind.

Wow, remember your statement I have yet to find anything, not one substantial contribution to the country. - He did contribute and gave you that link ! Well, since you thought it was low, why don't you get in contact him and let him know ? Do something about it !

Dominicans, whether living in Spain or USA, are still dominicans and are of one community! Although he's contributing to dominicans in NY, he's donating to a dominican community and a poor community (compared to American standards). That's how this community works here.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
ElvisNYC said:
Wow, remember your statement I have yet to find anything, not one substantial contribution to the country. - He did contribute and gave you that link ! Well, since you thought it was low, why don't you get in contact him and let him know ? Do something about it !

Dominicans, whether living in Spain or USA, are still dominicans and are of one community! Although he's contributing to dominicans in NY, he's donating to a dominican community and a poor community (compared to American standards). That's how this community works here.

Thanks for helping prove my point. I don't consider 0.000222 of his salary a considerable contribution to his country, but perhaps you do, and that's just fine. Difference of opinions makes the world go round and keeps it an interesting place. I do hope you're joking about contacting him, but in case you aren't, why you think I would contact him, I'm not quite sure. Even if I had the desire to do so, why would I waste my time with someone who does one thing and says another? If he took responsibility for anything he does, it might be worth an effort for someone who had the desire to do so.

I've never been to Washington Heights, but I know it is not comparable to a barrio in the DR. A-Rod is putting his money where it will help his career the most, and nearly ignoring the DR because publicity-wise, it will do little for him.

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
jluzbet said:
IMHO
A-Rod needs to earn his money in the Post Season by this said if he cant do jack shiat as he did this year, then he does not deserved to be called the best player ... Sorry I am a die hard Yankee Fan and I still cant get over it ... Why was Reggie Jackson - Reggie - Cuz he produced when it counted in October ... did not matter he struck out 1000 times in the regular season ...

So Arod - Eand $27 Million in October Please -

A - AS S HOLE
R - RAT
O - OVERPAID
D - DOMINICAN WANNA BE ...

Welcome to DR1. :)

I'm sure that A-Rod will shine in the postseason. I just hope it is not against my Red Sox. ;)

Anyway, here are some stats about A-Rod

.286 BA, 36 HRs, 106 RBIs, 155 games played

.321 BA, 48 HRs, 130 RBIs, Played all 162 games despite a bad back and the death of his uncle who was a father figure to him and he also won the MVP.

In 2005, the Yankees won the A.L. East division thanks to A-Rod. Mussina, Pavano, and Wang were on the DL for quite sometime. So A-Rod helped the Yankees out-hit the other teams to victories. And yes, I also give credit to Small for going 10-0.

Yes, I know that A-Rod was only 2 for 15 in the 2005 ALDS against the Angels. But if A-Rod is to be blamed for post season failure, then I also blame Randy Johnson.

The Angel players were enjoying hitting off Randy during the playoffs.

I understand that you are upset at A-Rod because you are a Yankee fan and you love your team and the players.

But A-Rod is neither God nor Superman. He's doing his best and I'm sure he will bring another ring back to New York. But with Ortiz and Manny in my Red Sox, its going to be difficult. ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here it goes Cleef

Cleef said:

Miguel, that's why.
Cleef, of course that I will call it "hating". When a person can not see anything right on another person(if and when THEY do, there's always a "but" attached to it), and when that same person keeps going on and on about someone who just happens to be the best ball player right now, what else should we call it?.

SOME of your guys seem to forget that there was a Alex Rodriguez BEFORE the "globe incident". SOME of you seem to forget that there was a Alex Rodriguez before he said anything that SOME of you disagreed with. After he signed his BIG contract, for SOME of you, it's "open season" on Alex.

Now, I said that I was going to ask you a question or two, ok, I lied, there are more than 1 or 2, here they go:

1- If you were a team owner, would you sign Alex to play for your team?. Would you swallow your opinion of his?. If yes or no, why?.

2- If given an choice, and being a fan, as you say you are, do you think that Alex is bad for baseball?. If yes or no, why?. And:

3- Would you feel the same way about Alex if he played for Boston?. Or would you "bite your lips" and keep your opnion to yourself?.

4- Do you think that ALL the things that Alex has done, in your book, are worse than anything that players like Pete Rose, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, Jason Giambi, Albert Belle, Jorge Bell, Dwight Gooden,Manny Ramirez, Daryl Strawberry, Wade Boggs, Cesar Cedeno(if you remember him), Luis Polonia (if you remember what he did) and the "Dominican Dandy", Juan Marichal, just to name a few, did?.

If you do not recall what some of the above players did, let me know and I will tell you EXACTLY what they ALL did, one by one.

And while we are at it, would you please tell us what you think of them before answering.

I must add, I AM NOT A FAN OF ALEX RODRIGUEZ but I do not need to be a fan in order to give credit where credit is due.

I am loving this debate, no attacks, no name callings, no attitudes, no fighting, just plain fun, GREAT!.

Ps2: and btw, in case you have not heard, MannyMe IS NOT PLAYING IN THE WBC, as per ESPN. Opps!.

Last edited: