I need a job!! Please help!!

Jessy7

Feb 20, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am a 24 yrs old born and raised in NYC. I will be getting married and moving to santo domingo by the end of this year. I am looking for a job that pays in dollars or a decent peso salary. I am fluent in English and Spanish and have a BA in Sociology.

If anybody could guide me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank You
Jessy

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Have you ever had a job? E.g. looking for a job often is aided by your experience vs. just education. Sociology degrees are right up there with history, philosophy, English degrees, in terms of not much in the way of job skills attached. I cannot imagine hiring a sociology graduate vs. one with business , commerce, economics, math, computer science, engineering, etc.

Thakfully you are one of the first people posting for work here who actually is fluent in Spanish , seeking work in a country were they coincidentally enough, speak Spanish. That should help a lot.

I suspect the "decent" salary part will be hard to find.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Just remember when you..

Just remember, when you say 'I do', You're dead.. :tired:

Zeus (evil)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My advice is to seek teacher certification before you move. With a BA in sociology, you will likely need a few courses--but once you have the certificate you are infinitely more marketable. On the other hand, just having a degree and being bilingual will get you in the door of a lot of schools. Teachers do not get paid much but it is a job that you may fall in love with, like me. I was an art major...now I am a teacher.
With experience and the proper certification you will have the opportunity to work at better schools which pay more. I also recommend doing a TEFL course before coming. Again, will you be rich? No...but you will be prepared...in SD you may find many private clients who want to improve their English.

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Daughter would like to work/live in the DR so is working towards having the skills that would be useful down in the DR. She is hoping to take "Teaching English as a 2nd Language-certificate program" and also getting her Bartender licence. She does speak/understand Spanish fairly well. She has also taken dance (ballet, jazz etc.) for many years. What do you think her chances are of finding a fairly decent job that would cover her basic needs? She is hoping to do this in Cabarete/Sousa area.

Thanks in advance, Cat

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mommacat said:
Daughter would like to work/live in the DR so is working towards having the skills that would be useful down in the DR. She is hoping to take "Teaching English as a 2nd Language-certificate program" and also getting her Bartender licence. She does speak/understand Spanish fairly well. She has also taken dance (ballet, jazz etc.) for many years. What do you think her chances are of finding a fairly decent job that would cover her basic needs? She is hoping to do this in Cabarete/Sousa area.

Thanks in advance, Cat
Being able to tend bar and dance makes her well qualified to find work in Sosua.;)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Actually, those are very marketable skills....

For the dancing, there are always little girls who need to learn how to dance. Again, the schools are your best bet here--find a dance school or start one up.

A good bartender in a hopping bar can make good money. Unfortunately in SOsua they haveto compete against hookers and sankies.

Also, the young hip chica look is not what an upscale bar desires. My favorite bars in Latin America almost always have a tuxedo behind the counter.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Why Work in Paradise?

Jessy7 said:
.... I am looking for a job....

I guess this is done because of sheer boredom or to have an excuse to leave the house.
Dominican men like to have their spouses "caged in" and entertain their loves with their lush salaries....

Unless we can assume... but that's a different story.

m'frog

Jessy7

Feb 20, 2006
thanks ricktoronto for your help
I have been working for ten years now
four years in hospitality concierge/front desk
2 yrs dental assistant
1year in a woman's clinic/social services
and lots of adminstrative work

Jessy7

Feb 20, 2006
mountainfrog

You must be dominican ;-)
I don't have the need to work in dominican republic b/c my future husband makes very good money. Yet I have been working since I am 15 years old and I can not imagine myself sitting home all day. I like to make my own money especially because I love to treat myself and splurge$$$$
It is only fair for me to find myself a job

tip: making your own money makes u INDEPENDENT

joser

Mar 29, 2006
Hi, I am a Canadian ESL teacher and I have only 1 year experience teaching English. I have a college diploma in TESL and I am having a hard time finding a good position in SD. Heres how my interviews went:

The American School of Santo Domingo - 24,000 monthly no housing no visa
told me to email them in March and never responded.

Instututo (I think it was Dominicano Americano, something like that)- 2$ per hour, no visa no housing no medical (They wanted me right away but the pay is to low)

New Horizons- 24,000 monthly including shared accomodations (said that they would call me, never did)

School of Carol morgan- told me their other applicants had higher education than I, so forget about it

Now, does any one have any suggestions where I would have any luck
with my experience and education?
I prefered sharred accomodations, visa airfare and at least 24,000 pesos.
Does anyone know of anything close to that being offered in SD?

Thanks for your help
josie

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
joser said:
Hi, I am a Canadian ESL teacher and I have only 1 year experience teaching English. I have a college diploma in TESL and I am having a hard time finding a good position in SD. Heres how my interviews went:

The American School of Santo Domingo - 24,000 monthly no housing no visa
told me to email them in March and never responded.

Instututo (I think it was Dominicano Americano, something like that)- 2$ per hour, no visa no housing no medical (They wanted me right away but the pay is to low)

New Horizons- 24,000 monthly including shared accomodations (said that they would call me, never did)

School of Carol morgan- told me their other applicants had higher education than I, so forget about it

Now, does any one have any suggestions where I would have any luck
with my experience and education?
I prefered sharred accomodations, visa airfare and at least 24,000 pesos.
Does anyone know of anything close to that being offered in SD?

Thanks for your help
josie
I think you will have a very difficult time securing a position without already being in the DR.

joser

Mar 29, 2006
I was in the dr

I was in Dominican for 2 weeks attending to the job interviews in person. Although I wanted a secure a job contract before coming back to Canada to pack my things to work in DR.
I told them I would be coming back in April and they just said to email them when I was back, so it didnt sound to secure?
what do u think, does anyone have any experience with securing a teaching position in SD, if so what was the procedure?
thanx